Guaranteed cabin

KazLP

Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin with Cunard and if so, what was your experience?

My husband and I have booked guaranteed cabin (obstructed balcony) on QM2 for a sailing in November and having read the blurb on Cunard's website, they say allocation could take anywhere from 5 weeks pre-voyage (which will be this Sunday), to a day before sailing, which is a tiny bit worrying.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but with it being our first time with Cunard and first "guaranteed cabin", I'm paranoid that we're going to end up with a rubbish last minute cabin!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I haven't had any problems with guarantee cabins but there are more or less desirable cabins so there is a risk you will get one of the less desirable ones.

I've only done it when I'd be happy with any of the possibilities in the category ie Balcony Club or Grills. Cabin allocation can be late so they are not great for people who like to have everything organised ahead of time.

There aren't than many obstructed balconies so there shouldn't be much disadvantage. All those with a lesser obstruction have probably already been booked by those choosing a particular cabin number.

Never had a problem with a guarantee cabin. Always book inside cabins (our compromise to allow us to cruise more often) and have never been unhappy with any of our cabins. Don't worry about not having a cabin location yet you might not even get one until check-in.

Our best result was not known until the check-in when we actually got an upgrade from a guarantee inside to a balcony cabin!!!! Wonderful.

Sadly it has never happened again, but we always live in hope :D

I have had a few in all categories.

If you are willing to accept whatever they give you, then it will be fine.

Only once I contacted them when we were allocated an accessible cabin to see if we could be moved and told it was not possible as there were no other cabins in that category available. I kept checking online and amazingly a standard cabin in the same category popped up the day before sailing. Cunard agreed to move us into it as I imagine it was unlikely they could re-sell it so late in the day. Any other time, we would not have been moved.

There are no rubbish cabins. You get the category you have a guarantee for, or a higher one. ( not so unusual)

I mostly sailed in guarantee always happy. Usually assignment comes around 3-2 weeks before sailing but very last minute assignments have been reported. Never in my case.

If you book a cabin grade you would be happy in as a guarantee, you might be surprised with with a better one on assignment. If not they you have exactly what you want. Booking a cabin you might not like in the hopes that you will be upgraded is risky, but then it is your choice. I always book my preferred cabin grade as a guarantee and about one in three voyages I get a better one.

On my next voyage, I decided to add a segment immediately preceding my west bound to be able to travel with friends. I booked a guarantee and later though perhaps it would be wise to book an assigned stateroom so I didn't have to move in the middle of the trip. I called my T/A and found out that the guarantee I booked has no available cabins. This will be interesting. I will either get an upgrade, or someone already in that class will get upgraded so I can get their assignment. In any event I will at least get a cabin I will be comfortable in.

ssFRance # 5, sad ( sorry ) to disagree.

There A R E rubbish cabins. I booked an inside guarantee on QM2, for 1/2 of the world cruise this past March till May. I was given 10071 which is 1 thin wall away from the place where the hard working crew washes/ bangs/ crashes all the metal serving carts, during the night.

After 2 miserable nights, I let the pursers desk staff know of this awful stateroom, and was immediately changed to a FAR better location. I guess if you are stone - deaf, 10071 is fine.

Our cruise leaves in five weeks and we recieved our cabin number at the weekend. This time it is the "worst" of the category we booked but that is absolutely fine. However, we have often received upgrades, sometimes just a category or two, sometimes Ocean view to balcony. As long as you are happy with any of the cabins in the grade you have booked all will be fine. We have never had to wait until the last week before getting our cabin number. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for all the replies everyone - my mind is definitely rested!

Very much looking forward to our first TA, only 39 days to go [emoji16]

KazLP

We are also on this crossing - sailing from Southampton on 4th November. As this is your first TA with Cunard, you may wish to join the roll call for this crossing and get tips from fellow passengers who have done it often. Hope to see you on board. Charles & Janet

Never had a problem with a guarantee cabin. Always book inside cabins ... :D

I don't understand the point of booking a "Guaranteed Cabin - Inside Stateroom" ... am I missing something?

Does booking an unspecified cabin at the lowest level increase your chances of upgrade versus booking an assigned cabin at the lowest level??

Are unspecified cabin assignments sold at a considerably lower fare than assigned ones?

I get why Cunard would want to sell them this way ... it allows them more flexibility to fill unsold or less-desirable cabin categories. But what is the upside for the passenger?

When I booked QM2 just a few months before my August departure for a two-way Atlantic voyage, I paid approximately half price but I still selected a specified cabin from the available choices ... I selected BF Balcony 12-001 and - other than a potential upgrade to a Britannia Club or to a Grill - I cannot imagine a better option.

It was quiet with minimal foot-traffic; had immediate proximity to the little-used 'A' Stairway and elevator; close proximity to the Deck 14 'Lookout'; the Deck 13/12 Sun Decks; the Deck 12 wheelhouse observation and Pavilion Pool; the Deck 11 Observation Deck and launderette as well as the panoramic glass-walled lifts; the Deck 9 Commodore Lounge; the Deck 8 Library ... and everything else was 'downhill' so I found it unnecessary to wait for the lifts if I was in a hurry.

And my starboard side balcony provided views into the starboard bridgewing, unobstructed views of the Statue of Liberty while departing Brooklyn (I got great time-lapse video of the departure from that vantage point) ... and it was sheltered from high winds by the protruding bridgewing.

Could someone kindly explain how any "Guaranteed Balcony" could provide advantages over that?

PJ

I don't understand the point of booking a "Guaranteed Cabin - Inside Stateroom" ... am I missing something?

Does booking an unspecified cabin at the lowest level increase your chances of upgrade versus booking an assigned cabin at the lowest level??

Are unspecified cabin assignments sold at a considerably lower fare than assigned ones? ...

I think the answer to your question is a combination of both of those factors. Especially in the UK, the second factor is probably the more significant of the two.

In the UK there are "Cunard" fares where specific cabins can be selected and there may also be "Saver" fares offered where cabins are only available on a "guarantee" basis. Sometimes the difference between the Cunard and Saver fares is minimal, other times the difference can be quite significant.

Looking at one of the upcoming November crossings on the Cunard UK web site, the "BZ" balcony category is currently being offered for a Cunard fare of £1,479 per person (where you get to pick your cabin) and for a Saver fare of £999 per person (where you get a "guarantee" assignment). I'd say that qualifies as a significant enough difference that I might bite for the Saver fare if I were booking it in the UK.

As part of the recently announced summer 2020 schedule launch, a similar concept is going on in the US as well. As they first introduced last year, from now until April 30, 2019, Cunard is offering what they call "Value" fares in the US. These fares offer savings of "up to 25% off launch fares" for a reduced non-refundable deposit and a "guarantee" cabin assignment.

Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin with Cunard and if so, what was your experience?

My husband and I have booked guaranteed cabin (obstructed balcony) on QM2 for a sailing in November and having read the blurb on Cunard's website, they say allocation could take anywhere from 5 weeks pre-voyage (which will be this Sunday), to a day before sailing, which is a tiny bit worrying.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but with it being our first time with Cunard and first "guaranteed cabin", I'm paranoid that we're going to end up with a rubbish last minute cabin!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Forums mobile app[/i have always been informed by email of the stateroom number about 2 weeks before. The only downside for me would be if the "upgrade" was from a balcony, to a sheltered balcony. Not so long ago a sheltered balcony was a grade below obstructed balcony. Some commenters like them, I am not one of them. You are guaranteed one thing, and that is that you are going to love the QM2.

We could only book a guarantee P2 for our cruise in 2016, we received a confirmation of a P2 about 6 weeks before departure.

Last year we had a confirmed P2, but were upgraded to a Q3 after a dramatic price drop.

This year we were going to book a confirmed P2, but were offered a guarantee P2 at a discount, so we took a gamble. We sail 7 weeks tomorrow, and have not had an allocation yet. Checking this morning, the cruise is sold out bar single cabins, although cabin availability seems to vary day by day.

Often wondered if a cabin does not become available, do they 'bump' you?

You can be lucky booking a guaranteed cabin, but you think why the upgrade? It could they could not sell the cabins it could be noise, in a bad position, we always book the cabins we know, so no problems.😉

If I would accept an Inside cabin

I would never lock my self into an assigned Inside Cabin .

Inside Guarantee gives you at least "hope" of Sunlight or better , and save $$

But that is my point ... would you not receive preference for an upgrade to an outside cabin if you paid full fare for an 'assigned' Inside Stateroom, rather than reduced fare for a non-specified Inside Stateroom to be decided by Cunard??

Why would a Guaranteed Inside Stateroom, booked at a discount, receive preference for upgrades?

Would the Guaranteed Inside not be "upgraded" to the remaining Inside Staterooms after the 'assigned ' Inside passengers have been upgraded to a Balcony (or whatever)?

Just trying to follow the logic here.

PJ

You can be lucky booking a guaranteed cabin, but you think why the upgrade? It could they could not sell the cabins it could be noise, in a bad position, we always book the cabins we know, so no problems.😉

We took guidance from our travel agent which we have used for several years with a possible guarantee cabin last year. She thought with our sailing history and CWC status we would be upgrade (for sure) instead of settling for a particular cabin.

Well that was not the case. Yes we did stay in the Club Britannia Class cabin on Deck 13 and enjoyed the brand new look and feel of that addition from the previous refit. But the uncertain feeling over the period did come true with remaining in that grade and not really happy with the location. Cabin was too far forward and the restaurant (Club Britannia) was too far aft of the ship.

We would have been happier to pick a Club Cabin on 12 which is what we did for next years sailing.

BTW....Once we were guided to try guarantee on the QE2 with a possible Deck 4 cabin with upgrade. When we got to the pier we were extremely happy when we were informed we were bumped up to Queens Grill Cabin.....Upgrade Fairys Do Sometimes Reside At Check In Desks.

When inventory in a grade is very low you might find that a category is available an a guarantee basis but not available on an assigned-stateroom basis. That's how we ended up in an obstructed balcony stateroom a couple of Christmases ago. It was one of the same-as-oceanview promotions but the obstructed balcony could only be booked as a guarantee.

By the way, we didn't get an upgrade from the category that we booked as a guarantee.

We could only book a guarantee P2 for our cruise in 2016, we received a confirmation of a P2 about 6 weeks before departure.

Last year we had a confirmed P2, but were upgraded to a Q3 after a dramatic price drop.

This year we were going to book a confirmed P2, but were offered a guarantee P2 at a discount, so we took a gamble. We sail 7 weeks tomorrow, and have not had an allocation yet. Checking this morning, the cruise is sold out bar single cabins, although cabin availability seems to vary day by day.

Often wondered if a cabin does not become available, do they 'bump' you?

We too have a guaranteed p2..sailing on QM2 nov 25th, first time trying a guarantee, as all cabins are to the front.. picking one did not make much difference to us...will be interesting to see where we end up.,category shows sold out at this time...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many people pick the cabin they want and then specify " no upgrade ". Because of this, the ones booking the guarantee may actually be the ones upgraded. We are booked in a Q5 for next July's sailing to the Baltics. Because we love aft corner cabins with the large balconies, we have specified no upgrade. Anyone booking a Queens Grill guarantee, which is all that is left for this cruise, may end up in the Mauritania Suite!

But that is my point ... would you not receive preference for an upgrade to an outside cabin if you paid full fare for an 'assigned' Inside Stateroom, rather than reduced fare for a non-specified Inside Stateroom to be decided by Cunard??

Why would a Guaranteed Inside Stateroom, booked at a discount, receive preference for upgrades?

Would the Guaranteed Inside not be "upgraded" to the remaining Inside Staterooms after the 'assigned ' Inside passengers have been upgraded to a Balcony (or whatever)?

Just trying to follow the logic here.

PJ

Just saying , your chances are greater for an upgrade booking a Inside

Category Guarantee than merely choosing a cabin and then hoping for an upgrade .