Which leg of flight should we travel in business class for honeymoon to Europe?

FSU Girl

As others have said, fly Business going over to Europe. DH and I usually try to book our flights as Business/First on the way to our destination, and as Economy Plus on the way home. Our theory is that going is generally overnight, so we get really good rest in lie flat seats, and at the start of a trip I'm usually a combination of excited and anxious, and maybe haven't slept great for a few nights before, so appreciate the space and pampering.

On the way home, I'm usually relaxed or worn out, depending on the type of trip, and where I sit isn't as much of a factor to me, I watch a few movies, eat, read a bit, maybe nap off a little, and am back in US.

I do want to warn you of something. When we first tried Business to Europe it was for an anniversary trip splurge several years ago, it was going to be a one time thing to treat ourselves and celebrate. Well.... that quickly morphed into almost always flying to our destination "up front", several times a year. And the last trip we flew both to and from in Business..... So much for a one time thing. It's quite addictive.

I do want to warn you of something. When we first tried Business to Europe it was for an anniversary trip splurge several years ago, it was going to be a one time thing to treat ourselves and celebrate. Well.... that quickly morphed into almost always flying to our destination "up front", several times a year. And the last trip we flew both to and from in Business..... So much for a one time thing. It's quite addictive.

Ohhhhh, I can so relate. I am now addicted to Delta One after being rebooked from KLM Business due to flight cancellation nightmare this past May. Princess EZair is the BEST way to get it :)

Ohhhhh, I can so relate. I am now addicted to Delta One after being rebooked from KLM Business due to flight cancellation nightmare this past May. Princess EZair is the BEST way to get it :)

Another addicted soul here. Much to our surprise, we were upgraded to Business Class as we boarded a British Airways flight to Rome several years ago. to this day we don't know how or why it happened but it was the beginning of the end. We have figured out a way to fly Business Class on British Airways each time we have flown to Europe since then.

I will concur that sleeping in the flat bed seats is the way to go if you need to get some rest but we find that the best flight for us as far as reducing the effects of jet lag is to take the 7:00 or 8:00 A.M. flight out of NYC. You arrive London in time to check in to your hotel, have a relaxing bite to eat and go to bed on "their" schedule. You wake up the next morning on "their" schedule and we feel we are better prepared to face the day.

As far as choosing between flying to or from on Business Class, one thing to keep in mind is that the trip home is nearly an hour longer due to wind currents so you get a little more bang for your buck on that flight.

If it were me, and it isn't I know, I would travel 'coach' both ways and use the money 'saved' to upgrade my cabin, speciality dinning, excursions that type of thing.

My reasoning being: the flight is probably 8 to 11 hours depending on where you travel from.

An upgraded cabin is the whole length of your cruise, specialty dining, small cost for a couple of hours indulgence, excursions, a few hours fun/once in a lifetime experience for not a lot.

Of course it's your choice in the end but for me a few hours (possibly asleep) compared to a few days is not a hard decision.

If it were me, and it isn't I know, I would travel 'coach' both ways and use the money 'saved' to upgrade my cabin, speciality dinning, excursions that type of thing.

My reasoning being: the flight is probably 8 to 11 hours depending on where you travel from.

An upgraded cabin is the whole length of your cruise, specialty dining, small cost for a couple of hours indulgence, excursions, a few hours fun/once in a lifetime experience for not a lot.

Of course it's your choice in the end but for me a few hours (possibly asleep) compared to a few days is not a hard decision.

we are so excited for the cruise so we fly economy but extend our vacation by flying first class home. It sort of buffers the letdown that the cruise is over.

Honestly, look at PRincess EZAir. Their pricing is usually much better than what you will see elsewhere. Look at rt business class, you just might be surprised. By the way, if you find British Airways, outside of the lie flat seats, their service in every class is excellent.

Yes, BA’s business class configuration is awful compared to most other airlines. There’s very little space, nowhere to put your stuff and the stewards have to lean across to pass over food etc. to the person sitting next to you (facing in the opposite direction). We’d only choose them if nothing else was available on our route. Some of the Middle Eastern airlines are superb and Singapore is outstanding. We’ve found the US airlines are better in business class than BA - obviously only my opinion.

Agree with Terry&Mike: it’s addictive and you won’t want to fly coach ever again :cool:.

So I noticed that three airlines are using the same plane for the flight. I went to each of their websites and one is charging $5,000 per person for first class and one is charging $2,000 per person for the same seat. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal. And EZ Air is usually cheaper than any of the airlines.

SeatGuru is your friend. In 2013, DW and I flew to London and back on one of BA's last 747's in World Traveller Plus. Not a great deal larger than their version of economy but seating was 2 across rather than 3 or 4 across. There's sticker shock but, after watching the parade of people headed back to coach a few times, I'm addicted to 1st class and flying into the departure city a day early.

I have a tough time sleeping on planes; going over we booked so we got in mid-morning, dropped luggage off at the hotel and caffeinated to power through the day as long as possible. Went to bed early (and exhausted) and woke up the next morning basically on European time.

If your fiancee has a decent bank of airline miles, it may be worth also looking into whether there are some flights you can upgrade with miles. Rules on upgrading is a little complicated (and airline program specific), but can be a very valuable way to use miles. I upgraded my in-laws on a trans-con flight with miles when they were coming back from Alaska after a "bucket list" trip and they got the lie-flat seats SEA-JFK. For the 30k miles each, that was an awesome return on the miles used.

Another perk of Biz/First going to Europe, you may get access to a VIP/priority line for customs. CDG had a line that was reserved for premium cabin or mid-tier and up frequent fliers, saved us like a half hour clearing customs that way.

And yes, flying up front gets addictive. I'm dreading when my gold airline status expires...

So I noticed that three airlines are using the same plane for the flight. I went to each of their websites and one is charging $5,000 per person for first class and one is charging $2,000 per person for the same seat. Is that normal?
This is unfortunately normal, especially if the airline thinks it is a one-way fare. Many airlines will charge nearly round trip rates for a one way leg of the journey.

I concur that you should check out Princess EZair. You can adjust your flight dates - do that first thing. I've book a flight that was two weeks away from the cruise date using EZair. EZair can get around some of the airline direct pricing issues for "open jaw" flights that appear to the airline as two one way trips.

We have family in Europe and have found it easier and better to sleep going from North America to Europe. I usually don't fall asleep at all on the westward trip.

Edited by Times Prince
answered another question from the OP

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I'm going to check out Princess's airfare to see if their's will be cheaper. Everyone makes me want to book both legs of the trip as first class, I asked my Fiance if we could, he said maybe :) But I mentioned what everyone said about going there so if we do have to choose it'll be that one.

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I'm going to check out Princess's airfare to see if their's will be cheaper. Everyone makes me want to book both legs of the trip as first class, I asked my Fiance if we could, he said maybe :) But I mentioned what everyone said about going there so if we do have to choose it'll be that one.

My airfare through United to London last year was $8000, through Princess - same flights $2700. Both legs Business Class.

I agree about going there - though, I was unable to sleep.

Or look at Int'l premium economy for the other leg. It's similar to domestic first (little better than that IMHO), and that would be my sweet spot for the cost-benefit ratio on a trans-atlantic.

I suggest you look up int'l premium economy for a better idea of what it's like, I may have done it a disservice with my description earlier. It's head and shoulders better than the domestic "premium" economy. Int'l gets real meals with glasses and proper cutlery and flatware, and on both AirFrance and Alitalia came with a dedicated crew member for that cabin of roughly 20 pax.

One upside for Biz/First is that you generally get lounge access on that leg of the trip. Airport lounges is another perk that can be really nice when you're flying, esp int'l since you need to be at the airport earlier. We had a long drive, so we ended up with almost 3 hours at the airport - AF lounge had complimentary food and drinks, comfy seats, free wi-fi... sooooo much better than waiting in the standard concourse.

If your fiancé has status with an airline though (or certain credit cards) you may have lounge access through that (as well as some other perks), if so it's worth flying that carrier or at least that airline alliance so you can credit the miles to his account and get some benefits.

Everyone is focusing on the benefit, how about the cost? When I priced one leg in business class to Athens, it was about $5,000 more per person. Even at $2000 more per person, that is alot of money that can buy lots of stuff compared to maybe 6 hours of sleep? I agree to use it to pay other costs like hotel and excursions, go one day more day extra if you can (some can't I've been there too). Put it toward any debt/interest you have. Just another opinion.

Or look at Int'l premium economy for the other leg. It's similar to domestic first (little better than that IMHO), and that would be my sweet spot for the cost-benefit ratio on a trans-atlantic.

I suggest you look up int'l premium economy for a better idea of what it's like, I may have done it a disservice with my description earlier. It's head and shoulders better than the domestic "premium" economy. Int'l gets real meals with glasses and proper cutlery and flatware, and on both AirFrance and Alitalia came with a dedicated crew member for that cabin of roughly 20 pax.

One upside for Biz/First is that you generally get lounge access on that leg of the trip. Airport lounges is another perk that can be really nice when you're flying, esp int'l since you need to be at the airport earlier. We had a long drive, so we ended up with almost 3 hours at the airport - AF lounge had complimentary food and drinks, comfy seats, free wi-fi... sooooo much better than waiting in the standard concourse.

If your fiancé has status with an airline though (or certain credit cards) you may have lounge access through that (as well as some other perks), if so it's worth flying that carrier or at least that airline alliance so you can credit the miles to his account and get some benefits.

I know we've been in a lounge before, I want to say it was American Express? Not sure, was the first time for me and was pretty nice. I know he has some deals with some airlines, but not the ones that are flying to London. The one that was flying to Rome he did, but the cost was more than double so wouldn't really be worth it. I'll look into that seat class you mentioned, I definitely think we'll be flying home in something other than first class.

Everyone is focusing on the benefit, how about the cost? When I priced one leg in business class to Athens, it was about $5,000 more per person. Even at $2000 more per person, that is alot of money that can buy lots of stuff compared to maybe 6 hours of sleep? I agree to use it to pay other costs like hotel and excursions, go one day more day extra if you can (some can't I've been there too). Put it toward any debt/interest you have. Just another opinion.

I'd love to extend our trip, but we have to fly home the day the cruise ends to make it to an event the next day we can't miss. The cost is crazy high, I agree. We've never paid that much for a plane ticket before, but I figure since it's for a honeymoon it would be okay to splurge. We don't have to cut any other activities to fly this way and don't have any debt :) I don't think we'll fly both ways like that though, it really is just way too much and some of the flights in economy are really cheap right now so we will probably do that back.

I specifically mentioned cost. It was only $1000 more for me both ways to go with Business class. I come from an area where flights are probably the most most expensive. I don't live near a major hub.

I'd love to extend our trip, but we have to fly home the day the cruise ends to make it to an event the next day we can't miss. The cost is crazy high, I agree. We've never paid that much for a plane ticket before, but I figure since it's for a honeymoon it would be okay to splurge. We don't have to cut any other activities to fly this way and don't have any debt :) I don't think we'll fly both ways like that though, it really is just way too much and some of the flights in economy are really cheap right now so we will probably do that back.

If you can extend it - extend time beforehand to deal with jet lag. You don't want to be exhausted on the first day of the cruise.

If you can extend it - extend time beforehand to deal with jet lag. You don't want to be exhausted on the first day of the cruise.

We are flying in two days before the cruise to explore London before the cruise. Going to try really hard to power through the first day and not fall asleep.

I think the worst jetlag I had was when I went to Prague for school and we had a three hour class on the history of Prague. I felt so bad since I was in the front row, but I completely passed out for the entire lecture. Glorious three hour power nap though and was good to go from there.

I'm looking at flights for my British Isles cruise and since it's a honeymoon we thought we'd splurge on one leg of the trip and fly business class. None of the flights we were looking at had a first class so I'm guessing that's what it's called now? I've only flown coach so not really familiar with the perks and such.

They are pretty pricey though so we'd only do it either flying to London or flying home from London. I'm not sure which one we should splurge on. Anyone who has traveled that way have a recommendation? Flying to London would be an overnight flight, I have trouble sleeping on planes, but it might be easier with the lying flat down bed type seat. Or should we do it on the return trip where we will be awake the whole flight during the day so might get more out of the luxury?

Also if I look to book my airfare through Princess can I still choose flying one way in economy and the other in business? I've never book through a cruise for the air, but my parents recommended doing it that it would be cheaper.

Do both.

Two thoughts (which may have covered in the previous pages, but here goes just in case). One, your travel agent should be able to mix/match flights any way you like, and likely for less than you'd be able to do yourself online. Second, check out British Airways economy plus. More legroom, and if you reserve early enough for good seat choice, you can easily find two-abreast up in that part of the plane. No, it isn't Business class, but it is luxurious by comparison with regular Economy class. And you can probably go both directions this mode, for about the same price as one-way Business Class. Have fun, regardless!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app