Surprised with the assigned 'GTY' Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

PrincessCatarina

We recently booked a second room on a 2-night Disney Wonder cruise from San Diego. About a month out they only had GTY rooms left, so I could no longer pick a specific room. This was a gift reservation to another family member and we figured we could not go wrong with GTY 9A Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom, because it was guaranteed to be on deck 5 or above and would have a window. Otherwise the location did not matter. The room was for 1 person only and cost over $2,200 for this 2-night voyage.

So a few days ago the room was finally assigned and I noticed it was a wheelchair accessible room with no split bath and a different layout! I thought these rooms would have been somehow differentiated in category, but was surprised to find out that is not the case. In this case they decided to give it to a very able-bodied young man travelling alone. When I contacted DCL about this they said they were out of rooms so nothing they could do and that I should not have booked a GTY room. :rolleyes:

I read some reviews about these rooms and they seem o.k., except for the lack of a split bath, but since that was an advertised feature of the deluxe oceanview I'm not happy with what we ended up with. I guess it's the price one pays for a late booking and just sharing that this happened....

why does he need a split bath if he's traveling alone?

a split bath just means two tiny bathrooms instead of one larger bathroom...

it's convenient when there's more than one person in the room, since you have the toilet separate from the shower..

but if you're traveling alone, it's nice to have one big bathroom....

The HA rooms are held until a certain amount of time prior to the cruise, and then given out to anyone who has booked. An individual alone is actually a good choice as he doesn't need the split bath and is very unlikely to have fit into the bathtub. This way he has a bigger shower!

Since my daughter has a mobility issue, we now need the HAs after many years in regular cabins. There are some things that you give up with an HA cabin--no drawer in the middle of the desk, sometimes no "coffee table," etc. but he'll gain a great deal of space.

For a solo cruiser, he should be very happy with this room!

I would consider yourself very lucky! A single person doesn't need a split bath and the HA bathroom will be incredibly spacious. I, personally, find the split baths on DCL to be very small and quite claustrophobic. We are a family of 3 and ended up in an HA stateroom on the Fantasy in March. I loved it! We don't need a split bath, nor do we need a bathtub anymore as my son is older. I loved how big the bathroom was and would book that room again in a heartbeat if I could.

• 4 weeks later...