Cruise Critic Community
Leesh918

Boarding the Ship

Hello,

We are scheduled to take the Norwegian Escape out of New York to the Bahamas on 11/11/18. I'm concerned about the steep incline you have to take to get on the ship. The last cruise we took a few years ago was a Carnival cruise out of Baltimore and the incline to get on the ship was brutal for my asthma. I could barely breathe once we got on the ship. Does anyone know if there is an alternate way to embark on the ship without climbing what feels like a mountain? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!

I concur, if you have issues with the incline please don't hesitate to request wheelchair assistance.

If you occasionally carry a cane, consider bringing it along, even if just for embarkation/disembarkation. You'd be surprised how many offers of assistance are made to people with even minor mobility limitations. Dedicated check-in, priority customs access, once my wife even had a wheelchair assistant volunteer to push her from the entrance of check-in all the way to our stateroom (he was well-tipped).

Definitely ask for assistance if you need it. No need to wear yourself out before your vacation has even started! The incline of the ramp will depend on tides.

If boarding from the pier, occasionally the ship has gangways leading to different decks, but in my experience with New York, where we docked next to an NCL vessel, we boarded from the departure lounge. These tend to be flatter, than ones from the pier, but everything depends on the tidal height.

As others mentioned, if tidal heights result in a steep gangway, request assistance to board the vessel.

The actual process of getting onboard in Baltimore is a bit of a pain.... The terminal is just one floor. The gangway is a series of short ramps to get you up to the boarding deck. I assume the steepness is ADA compliant, but it is a hike. I have seen them board wheel chairs on deck one (a straight shot from the pier.)

As others have said, the Manhattan terminal, along with many (most?) others have two floors which makes the final ascent to the ship more bearable.

Aloha,

John