Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
soccer2010

Celebrity Summit - Book 1st Cruise after Dry Dock / Refurbishment

Recommended Posts

We're on the Summit ending in SJ on Jan 17th. Just heard that the first post-drydock trip was cancelled (pushed back), so I guess they expect it will take longer than planned.

 

We were on Carnival Sunshine (1st & last Carnival cruise) immediately after the 2.0 renovation. Everything that could go wrong, did. Leaks--buckets in several elevator lobbies during the whole cruise--weird detours, etc. Temporary signs everywhere. Plus the raw paint smell and still-wet varnish everywhere. Would wait for the 2nd-after-dry-dock/renovation cruise; let them work out the kinks first.

Edited by sofietucker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were supposed to be on the Constellation in May, 2017 for Barcelona  to Venice cruise, right after dry dock. (We did not actually realize there was going to be a dry dock.) We were uneasy about being in the French Riviera area during the Monaco Gran Prix and Cannes film festival so changed to a different cruise. Turned out there was a problem with the navigation system and the first few days of the cruise got canceled.  Celebrity put people up in hotels for a couple of days but many of them were 70 miles outside of Barcelona. Would never do the cruise right after dry dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the second sailing out of dry dock. IMO you shouldn’t have to worry too much. Cruise lines are under the scrutiny of the media more than ever. Maybe some minor things may still be finishing up but I think after the Norwegian incident earlier this year, they will try to keep it at a minimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, sofietucker said:

We're on the Summit ending in SJ on Jan 17th. Just heard that the first post-drydock trip was cancelled (pushed back), so I guess they expect it will take longer than planned.

 

We were on Carnival Sunshine (1st & last Carnival cruise) immediately after the 2.0 renovation. Everything that could go wrong, did. Leaks--buckets in several elevator lobbies during the whole cruise--weird detours, etc. Temporary signs everywhere. Plus the raw paint smell and still-wet varnish everywhere. Would wait for the 2nd-after-dry-dock/renovation cruise; let them work out the kinks first.

 

We are on the first post drydock trip on the Summit March 25th and we have not heard it was cancelled.  You can even still book it.  Where are you getting your information from???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was somewhere here on Cruise Critic a couple of weeks ago. Folks were upset that all they got was $100 OBC for the change; they were actually rebooked by Celebrity. Have you looked at your roll call? Maybe do a search for Summit drydock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

That was somewhere here on Cruise Critic a couple of weeks ago. Folks were upset that all they got was $100 OBC for the change; they were actually rebooked by Celebrity. Have you looked at your roll call? Maybe do a search for Summit drydock.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  March 25th on the Summit is STILL an active sailing and you can still book this cruise.  Whoever said it has been cancelled, is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original sail after dry dock, I believe, was a 7 day on March 23rd. That was the one that was canceled and replaced with a 5 day starting on the 25th. I’m booked on that one as well☺️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, elaineb said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  March 25th on the Summit is STILL an active sailing and you can still book this cruise.  Whoever said it has been cancelled, is wrong. 

Wonderful news, Elaine! I'm still going to try to hunt down that post, as it may be alarming folks who considered that booking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 9:37 PM, sofietucker said:

We're on the Summit ending in SJ on Jan 17th. Just heard that the first post-drydock trip was cancelled (pushed back), so I guess they expect it will take longer than planned.

 

We were on Carnival Sunshine (1st & last Carnival cruise) immediately after the 2.0 renovation. Everything that could go wrong, did. Leaks--buckets in several elevator lobbies during the whole cruise--weird detours, etc. Temporary signs everywhere. Plus the raw paint smell and still-wet varnish everywhere. Would wait for the 2nd-after-dry-dock/renovation cruise; let them work out the kinks first.

 

Ha! How funny is that? the pre cruise I was referring to above was the Destiny before she went into drydock to become the sunshine. Great ship by the way. Always loved the Destiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, avrey97 said:

The original sail after dry dock, I believe, was a 7 day on March 23rd. That was the one that was canceled and replaced with a 5 day starting on the 25th. I’m booked on that one as well☺️ 

The 23rd sailing must have been cancelled some time ago.  We booked the 25th sailing in July.  See you there!  Are you on the roll call? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you seen the map of the itinerary for the March 25 sailing? It starts in San Juan and goes east (past St. Croix) to St. Kitts. Then it goes west to St. Croix. Then east (past St. Kitts) to Antigua. Then west (past St. Kitts and St. Croix) back to San Juan. 

 

Makes me get seasick just thinking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our party booked 2 royal suites just yesterday; Celebrity confirmed it is on schedule to sail!

Edited by rosskeys88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...