Maasdam's new EXC-InDepth cruise program - at sea

OlsSalt

These descriptions have been wonderful to read and something to look forward to for my January Maasdam cruise. I had been looking at a later 2019 cruise, but had dropped the idea when I counted up the number of sea days--maybe I'll reconsider as I love lectures.

"MRT" or "Medical Response Team" or Just "Medical Response" has taken the place of the "Bright Star" P/A announcement on HAL which was a similar medical emergency response call (It's a Princess Cruises term since Princess has taken over the medical - doctors and nurses - side on HAL). The P/A announcement always includes a precise location description of the patient, so the team of first responders know exactly where to go (could be a guest or crew cabin #, a precise location like the Ocean Bar, Lido Restaurant, etc.) plus a designation of either port or starboard.

An "S"-class ship like Maasdam is divided into five (5) fire zones, with FZ5 being all the way up front at the bow (Fire Zone 1 is at the stern). The fire zone designation is used in all fire-related emergency responses but, depending on the location and circumstances, can be added to a MRT also.

Here's hoping the patient of that MRT is now in stable condition since you still have two more sea days ahead of you and I'm not sure about the quality of medical care on Easter Island

Thanks for the info Copper - yes, now I remember having heard "bright star" in the past.

MRT: The good news is today we learned Chile provides a hospital, medical care and medical evacuation to the Easter Islands, so hopefully once we land if this person needs more care beyond what can be offered locally, they can be medically evacuated back to Santiago which is only a 5 hour flight away. Four days by sea but only 5 hours by air -a logistical whiplash difference.

TENDERING EASTER ISLAND: The plea went out to be very patient about tendering - each tender takes about 20 minutes and they only allow one tender at a time to come into the very small port area, which is just a fishing boat dock. We have HAL excursions planned both days, so it will be interesting to see how they prioritize the departures.

One more cruise where four and five star tender priority means nothing, because there are just too many of us on this cruise. I heard 600 or 700 of us - which is still less than the VOV last year where there were 800-900 of us.

LECTURES this morning:

1. Easter Island - practicalities and Easter Island today

2. Polynesian migration - tracking down the facts

3. Landscape photography tips - very good for even the casual travel photographer

This afternoon:

1. Repeat of Easter Island talk

2. Ask the Captain time

3. Various documentary movies about this South Pacific area

This evening

1. Smaller venue talk by the photographer

2. Travel stories with those on the InDepth team - small venue

3. Repeat of the documentary films

4. Performer in the show room

WEATHER: The Polynesian experts all agreed we have finally passed into the South Pacific from coastal South America (crossed the huge Humboldt Current) - weather balmier as well as now squally - sun loungers now filling up - lid open and closed when necessary - sun is out, shadows now appear out of the gray overcast that was coastal South America this time of the year.

EASTER ISALND TOURISM: And still it is another at-ses day before we finally reach Easter Island and the tortuous tendering process begins - good thing everyone was warned up front - patience will be a virtue. The expanded airstrip has opened Easter Island to tourism in the past 20 years but cruise ship travel are still few and far between. They islands are struggling with their very limited infrastructure that does not allow much more expansion even if it means more immediate economic prosperity if they could.

So that modern compromise is a current hot topic on the island today, as well as the people of mainland Chile feeling the Easter Islanders are getting a disproportionate share of government subsidies right now.

CAPTAIN'S URGENT MESSAGE - WE CANNNOT LAND AT EASTER ISLAND AS SCHEDULED - 24 HOUR DELAY PROJECTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

20 foot waves ahead of us at Easter Island if we tried to land on schedule -which the Captain said would not be possible - we are changing course and reducing speed to try to avoid the worst of the stormy seas and will delay our potential arrival 24 hours - we can still make the rest of our cruise schedule.

After Easter Island there were two days to be cruising only around Pitcairn and Henderson Islands, -with no landings provided - perhaps these days can now be compacted into a shorter period.

Anyone having done their homework about Easter Island knew this was always a possibility - good thing is having two days provided and apparently this additional wiggle room afterwards to still meet the following ports as planned.

This sort of major change will certainly puts pressure on the EXC staff to rearrange everything as well as we now have an extra at-sea day as well as rearranging everything on land as to booked tours. We feel we are in good hands with a can-do attitude. So what will be, will be.

MAASDAM - MAGNETS OKAY ON CABIN WALLS

Ongoing saga - magnets works on the cabin doors and walls os some HAL ships and not on others. They work every well on the Maasdam - and the rare earth magnets work exceptionally well. We have maps, daily schedules and special invites hung up which has been very helpful. The connecting cabin door is metal too so the magnets work fine on it too.

Well, that is a bummer! It's always dicey getting in there.....I was wondering how it would go for you when I was just reading your previous post about going there. I checked out ocean conditions and took a screen shot of the situation heading to Easter Island. Wish I could figure out how to insert it here; it does look like high seas are coming within the next 24 hours. Maybe this link will work. http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=spac_height

If you watch from 16 hours and on, you'll see the area around where Easter Island is blow up big time. I hope it subsides and you can get in. It is an amazing place and would be a shame to miss it.

Linda R.

CAPTAIN'S URGENT MESSAGE - WE CANNNOT LAND AT EASTER ISLAND AS SCHEDULED - 24 HOUR DELAY PROJECTED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

20 foot waves ahead of us at Easter Island if we tried to land on schedule -which the Captain said would not be possible - we are changing course and reducing speed to try to avoid the worst of the stormy seas and will delay our potential arrival 24 hours - we can still make the rest of our cruise schedule.

Well, that is a bummer! It's always dicey getting in there.....I was wondering how it would go for you when I was just reading your previous post about going there. I checked out ocean conditions and took a screen shot of the situation heading to Easter Island. Wish I could figure out how to insert it here; it does look like high seas are coming within the next 24 hours. Maybe this link will work. http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=spac_height

If you watch from 16 hours and on, you'll see the area around where Easter Island is blow up big time. I hope it subsides and you can get in. It is an amazing place and would be a shame to miss it.

Linda R.

Thanks - the link worked perfectly and sadly tells the tale of this sudden change in weather - looks like it is intentionally targeting just the Easter Islands too - but that must be the standard pattern and why its well earned reputation as a dicey port remains valid.

The squall we just had did come up suddenly as everyone was out on deck enjoying the sun and sea again. On our way back to the cabin DH noted it felt like we were turning and the ship was listing a bit which we thought was due to the winds. Then came the announcement - both were true. So it will be fun to track the ship on one of those ship tracker websites to see where we end up over the next few days.

Ask the Captain today: Captain Arne Jutten

He stated there are only three of the Zodiacs on board. Apparently none were loaded in Lima after all. It rained the entire time during the last Freeport drydock so much of the outside work did not get done, which included the full refinishing of Zodiac location forward deck.

The deck refinishing is going on right now which must be why they were not able to load the final batch of Zodiacs as planned in Lima - where are they and how will they get to the ship remains unanswered. However, the ones now on board have been taken out in prior ports for training purposes.

Needless to say, this was a timely presentation and the Captain showed us charts on where we are now going to kill time and avoid as much of the wave action as possible - we were headed directly into the 20 foot wave patch, but even at best starting tomorrow evening we are predicted to have to face a rough patch anyway.

As he says, the weather can always change so further updates will be necessary. These announcements we get in the cabin; not just in the hallways.

Also planned for the In Depth schedule will be a lights out night on deck for star-gazing. And while the Captain was scheduled to go to another larger ship, once he saw the InDepth ports he asked to stay on - so many either new or seldom visited.

Sorry the weather gods are not cooperating but hope you'll manage to get to Easter Island for at least one day.

I am going to apologize to the land tour I was considering that visits Chile and Easter Island (with 4 days on the island...) and will reconsider it.

Things are pretty rocky but people are still out and about - a pretty seasoned crew of long time HAL passengers. Game plan still in operation - add another at-sea day before we get to Easter Island - making it a total of five.

Then on arrival day after tomorrow, we do our planned original second day HAL shore excursions on our first day arrival; and the ones we planned for our original first day will be offered on our now second day.

Then we scenic cruise both Henderson (morning) and Pitcairn (afternoon) in one day - instead of doing them more slowly on separate days. Then all is back on schedule again for our remaining French Polynesia Islands.

Subject to any and all weather changes. This has been a rocky cruise - humbling and always a reminder what Captain Cook et al and Thor Heyerdahl and his tiny Kontiki had to face without A/C, entertainment and three very good meals a day. Food in the main dining room has been very creative and very good.

Another very bumpy day (and night) at sea - one earns their way to Easter Island if going by sea. Agree, is one wants a guaranteed visit to Easter Island, best to do it by air.

We cruise to be at sea and to cover vast distances between destinations directly on the water. We like to channel Captain Cook - so half the adventure is getting there - in raw fashion - whether we get there or not The size and power of planet earth is awesome.

Great plan. Your Captain sounds like a winner.

Hopefully you will soon be delighting in two days on Easter Island. It is always a gamble. God is in charge.

Thanks again to everyone who shares insights on this historic voyage.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

Hi Barbara,

Captain confirmed today we went through Beaufort Scale Seven winds last night - light gale.

The oceanographer had a talk scheduled about waves this morning. Could not have been more timely and added more info about the recent Tsunami in Sulawesi, Indonesia which is always important to learn about considering where so many HAL crew members come from - up to maybe 1000 killed that recent earthquake caused wave; while we are fighting wind caused waves.

The Polynesian anthropology expert reminded us the sea gods still do like to remind us who is really in charge, whether we come in by land or sea, by cruise ship or out-rigger canoes. We are at their mercy.

We continue to sail away from Easter Island at this time in order to get around the weakening storm front that had headed right near our route to the island. We will start heading south again towards the islands about 7pm this evening.

All is looking like a much better shot at landing at Easter Island tomorrow and even better the next day so we can complete our two day stopover. Tendering safety still remains the big unknown - large waves still predicted.

Thank you for these details.

Our Perth to Singapore Maasdam EXC In Depth cruise in January will visit Ujung Padang, Makassar also on the island of Sulawasi. I have read that this port in the far south is far enough away from the earthquake/tsunami area to be a safe haven and a source of relief - which is not going that well yet.

Yes, these good people and the crew members all need to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Barbara

EASTER ISLAND - anchored, sun coming up and first tenders are out and about. Seas look calm, rain threatens but Captain just reported it looks like the sea is cooperating. We can hear church chimes and dogs barking as the little town wakes up to the sight of the Maasdam closely off shore.

Still don't understand how tendering will operate since it appears only one tender at a time can leave the ship and come back before another one is allowed to come into the small port. Claims there will be a 45 minute wait for each tender - 150 or so passengers each. (?????) We have a shore excursion that meets at 9:20 in the Showroom so we will certainly learn more then.

Last night we leaned from the excellent Easter Island lecturer the reason they no longer allow Pitcairn residents onboard the ship, who apparently sold souvenir items to ship passengers since we cannot land there, is because most of the men had been convicted of sexual abuse, even of minor children, after a UK investigation and judgement. Management was conflicted about letting them profit from ship passengers after that fairly history - they have all spent their time in the local prison but the scars remain.

There remain only about 60 residents on Pitcairn and only 3 young girls who will soon go to school in New Zealand. Typically, those students do not come back to the island. It is an aging population- most direct descendants of the Mutiny on the Bounty originals.

UK tried to tempt new homesteaders to come to Pitcairn with offers of free land and legal resident status. Only one person responded and is reported very eager to get off the island since he has not been welcomed by the locals- who wanted only former Pitcairn residents to take up that offer. Pitcairn's only contact with the outside world is an every four month cargo ship.

Sun is coming out now between some intermittent squalls and our two-day adventure on Easter Island now begins. We can see Moai (Mo-eye) from the ship.

EASTER ISLAND - anchored, sun coming up and first tenders are out and about. Seas look calm, rain threatens but Captain just reported it looks like the sea is cooperating. We can hear church chimes and dogs barking as the little town wakes up to the sight of the Maasdam closely off shore.

Still don't understand how tendering will operate since it appears only one tender at a time can leave the ship and come back before another one is allowed to come into the small port. Claims there will be a 45 minute wait for each tender - 150 or so passengers each. (?????) We have a shore excursion that meets at 9:20 in the Showroom so we will certainly learn more then.

Last night we leaned from the excellent Easter Island lecturer the reason they no longer allow Pitcairn residents onboard the ship, who apparently sold souvenir items to ship passengers since we cannot land there, is because most of the men had been convicted of sexual abuse, even of minor children, after a UK investigation and judgement. Management was conflicted about letting them profit from ship passengers after that fairly history - they have all spent their time in the local prison but the scars remain.

There remain only about 60 residents on Pitcairn and only 3 young girls who will soon go to school in New Zealand. Typically, those students do not come back to the island. It is an aging population- most direct descendants of the Mutiny on the Bounty originals.

UK tried to tempt new homesteaders to come to Pitcairn with offers of free land and legal resident status. Only one person responded and is reported very eager to get off the island since he has not been welcomed by the locals- who wanted only former Pitcairn residents to take up that offer. Pitcairn's only contact with the outside world is an every four month cargo ship.

Sun is coming out now between some intermittent squalls and our two-day adventure on Easter Island now begins. We can see Moai (Mo-eye) from the ship.

Glad you have a captain who was willing to wait it out.

In 2016 I was on Oceania Marina and we had two days scheduled. the captain aborted on the first day and instead of waiting it out left for Lima. So no visit, Enjoy your stay.

Several years ago we were on another cruise line that hosted Pitcairn residents. They hawked their crafts, ate lots of great food and presented a few lectures about their lives. I was puzzled why uniformed policemen followed the group around. Then the next day, one of the Polynesian experts presented the real story, in graphic detail.

I have mixed emotions whether they should be brought onboard. But I believe it is important to teach all things historical in hopes that history doesn’t repeat itself.

OlsSalt, thank you for all the great information you’ve been sharing about this new cruise format. We’re very interested as we’ll boarding the Maasdam in Sydney in December. We’re wondering about the time of the main seating fixed dinner; is it 7:45 or 8pm or later? On our recent cruises it has been 7:45 which we really like, as 8pm is just getting a little late for us.