Ideas for Nassau stop

Tweedy

Having never been to Nassau before, I’m starting to look into things to do. I thought of doing a beach day or checking out Atlantis. There are five ships in port the day we are there, including the large Symphony of the Seas. There is going to be a lot of cruise ship passengers attacking land.

Does anyone have any recommendations for beaches, excursions or just something they have enjoyed doing while visiting this port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Mid October 2018 off the NCL Getaway. We booked a Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour through Tru Bahamian Food Tours. It was delicious and fun. I highly recommend it. We went to 6 different places in the course of about 3 hours. 

The six places were 1) Bahamian Cookin'-Traditional Bahamian Cusine-had a full meal. 2) Talking Stick hotel-had a punch drink 3) Graycliff Manor-Chocolate Factory and Boutique 4) Biggity-Boutique and Bistro-couch sliders 5) Athena Cafe and Bar-couch chowder and 6) Tortuga Rum cake Company-what else? rum cake!  The guide was very knowledgable and well spoken. We learned  a lot about the history of the Bahamas (think pirates!) and their food. If you decide to take the tour-go hungry. We started at 1:30 pm and some of our party had eaten lunch! I wanted to avoid the sleazy parts of Nassau and I succeeded! A great day!

1 hour ago, Seminole1975 said:

Mid October 2018 off the NCL Getaway. We booked a Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour through Tru Bahamian Food Tours. It was delicious and fun. I highly recommend it. We went to 6 different places in the course of about 3 hours. 

The six places were 1) Bahamian Cookin'-Traditional Bahamian Cusine-had a full meal. 2) Talking Stick hotel-had a punch drink 3) Graycliff Manor-Chocolate Factory and Boutique 4) Biggity-Boutique and Bistro-couch sliders 5) Athena Cafe and Bar-couch chowder and 6) Tortuga Rum cake Company-what else? rum cake!  The guide was very knowledgable and well spoken. We learned  a lot about the history of the Bahamas (think pirates!) and their food. If you decide to take the tour-go hungry. We started at 1:30 pm and some of our party had eaten lunch! I wanted to avoid the sleazy parts of Nassau and I succeeded! A great day!

I meant to say conch chowder and sliders-not couch! haha

On 10/1/2018 at 9:07 AM, cruiseapril said:

The British Colonial Hilton, right up the street, is another choice.

The Melia, on Cable Beach, is a choice which is farther away than the BCH.

One concern I have about Hilton, is that since it’s right by the port, is it not scenic/relaxing?  Torn between Melia, Hilton, or a ship excursion to beachy island...

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:26 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

Did you book it via the ship, or on your own?  Is there any type of drink/food package there like at Junkanoo?

We did book it through the ship because we had onboard credit to use up.  We paid $89 and that  included lunch and the ferry ride to the beach, and beach toys too. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

One concern I have about Hilton, is that since it’s right by the port, is it not scenic/relaxing?  Torn between Melia, Hilton, or a ship excursion to beachy island...

We did the Hilton a few years ago and it was very nice.  very quiet and very relaxing.  The ships do not block your view of anything. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2018 at 1:52 PM, brooker said:

We did book it through the ship because we had onboard credit to use up.  We paid $89 and that  included lunch and the ferry ride to the beach, and beach toys too. 

We are travelling at the end of January 2019 and will be docking at Nassau on the Monday 28th, how long is the trip to Blue Lagoon island, as we would like to look around the shopping etc as well whilst there. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, brooker said:

We did Blue Lagoon island.  It was great.  If you are looking for a relaxing beach day I highly recommend this. 

Hi,

I wondered how much walking there was and if pretty easy? My wife is ok walking but not for a long distance. THanks

Our last visit to Nassau, we took a walking tour that included the Queen's staircase, the chocolate place, a nice church, a brewery,and we ended at the straw market and then we had great conch fritters at a local restaurant at the port.  The only semi-strenuous walking part was the queen's staircase, but there are plenty of places to sit and rest.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:11 PM, Seminole1975 said:

It sounds fun.  How may people attended the tour that you were on?

42 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

It sounds fun.  How may people attended the tour that you were on?

We did that tour too.  It was great!  Here is my review, if you're interested.  I included lots of pictures. http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2018/11/bites-of-nassau-experiencing-bahamas.html

There is supposed to be a maximum of 12 people on the tours but ours got messed up somehow and we ended up with 15.  That was fine.

43 minutes ago, HangFire21 said:

Are there any adult drinks at blue lagoon island? I would like something quiet but still be able to have a Pina Colada or two. How long do you actually get at the island?

Yes, you can definitely get adult beverages. :classic_smile:  Try the Sky Juice - it's a great Bahamian drink.  How long you get on the island depends on which ferries you take there and back.  If you book directly, make sure you leave lots of time to get back to port.

2 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Yes, you can definitely get adult beverages. :classic_smile:  Try the Sky Juice - it's a great Bahamian drink.  How long you get on the island depends on which ferries you take there and back.  If you book directly, make sure you leave lots of time to get back to port.

Thanks! I would probably book through Carnival if I did it. Overall blue lagoon is pretty fun though?

1 minute ago, HangFire21 said:

Thanks! I would probably book through Carnival if I did it. Overall blue lagoon is pretty fun though?

It's a beautiful place and the ferry ride is nice.  We've been to Blue Lagoon 3 times, for the dolphin encounter, the sea lion encounter and the Segway tour.  Haven't done just the beach day but we were able to spend some beach time after the other tours.  Be sure to walk around and see the animal areas and the different beaches.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, HangFire21 said:

Are there any adult drinks at blue lagoon island? I would like something quiet but still be able to have a Pina Colada or two. How long do you actually get at the island?

There is a full bar, maybe several I think on the island.  Prices are reasonable.  Ferry usually gets you there by 9:30 am and they have ferries going back to the cruise terminal every hour, starting at 1pm, 2pm and 3pm, etc.  Most cruise passengers have to be on board their ship by 3-4pm.  Ferry ride is about 35 mins each way and is spectacular and fun.

We've been there five times now, and we love going every time.  Most recent was April 2018 and did the dolphin swim which was amazing.

Edited by limeyalchemist

4 minutes ago, limeyalchemist said:

There is a full bar, maybe several I think on the island.  Prices are reasonable.  Ferry usually gets you there by 9:30 am and they have ferries going back to the cruise terminal every hour, starting at 1pm, 2pm and 3pm, etc.  Most cruise passengers have to be on board their ship by 3-4pm.  Ferry ride is about 35 mins each way and is spectacular and fun.

We've been there five times now, and we love going every time.  Most recent was April 2018 and did the dolphin swim which was amazing.

Great, thanks for the input. I believe we are going to do it we are just trying to decide if we should do the regular package or the VIP package. Any thoughts on that?