Cruise Critic Community
DrBanjo

How can I get a Tourist Card before my cruise?

I am booked on a cruise to Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic. I see that a Tourist Card (Tarjeta de Turista) is required to enter that country for short visits. How can I get a Tourist Card? Are they available at the cruise terminal in Santo Domingo? The Tourist Card link on the DR website does not work. Help!

DrBanjo

I suspect you'll get it at the terminal when you arrive. That's what happened at the airport when we flew into Puerto Plata several years ago. It was $10, IIRC, in U.S. Currency.

I suspect you'll get it at the terminal when you arrive. That's what happened at the airport when we flew into Puerto Plata several years ago. It was $10, IIRC, in U.S. Currency.

Langoustine, I won't be flying into an airport in the Dominican Republic. I will be arriving in Santo Domingo on a cruise ship. Does the cruise ship terminal include a facility for dispensing Tourist Cards?

Doc.

Good question. I haven't seen anything in any cruise ship review stopping at a DR port that mentioned having to get one. So be interesting if someone opines.

I have heard though that at an airport, you buy one going through immigration and hand it over when leaving the airport from baggage claim. I've never seen an separate immigration line at a cruise port. But maybe it's a DR thing.

Langoustine, I won't be flying into an airport in the Dominican Republic. I will be arriving in Santo Domingo on a cruise ship. Does the cruise ship terminal include a facility for dispensing Tourist Cards?

I suspect so, since you cannot obtain one before arriving in the DR. It was just a cheap piece of paper at the airport, but if they sell you one you need to hang on to it until you leave. On the other hand, since you're arriving and leaving by cruise ship, you may not even need one.

Port calls from a cruise ship do not require the card.

Cruise ship passengers are 'in transit' which means you are not subject to customs and immigration that would normally result from a tourist vist....like being there a week or so on vacation.

As of April 2017, The $10 charged as a tourist tax is now added to the airline cost if arriving by airline.

As a cruise passenger is either treated as DrBanjo mentions or it's added in to the cost.