Wanting to add Poland pre-cruise of Athens to Barcelona in 8/2019, need help planning

carajoemom

Next year we are cruising from Athens to Barcelona, thinking about adding Poland before cruise for 3 days -includes fly in and fly out days I know it is not much time. Cruise starts on Saturday so was thinking about flying from JFK to Athens, then flying out from Athens to Poland possibly Krakow, want to include Concentration Camp and see the Salt Mines in Wielczka.

What would be the best airport to fly into money and time-wise before my cruise? Then fly R/T to Poland, is there a better choice I can use with Princess EZ Air to make it feasible and economical?

Where should we think of staying in Poland? I don’t think EZ Air flies directly into Poland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try a search engine like kayak.com. You also need to check European regional lines.

You might be better off with an open-jaw or multi-city ticket. They are not necessarily more expensive than two round-trips. Try your city to Krakow, Krakow-Athens and Barcelona-home. Search Delta, AA, etc for the multi-city route.

Try a search engine like kayak.com. You also need to check European regional lines.

You might be better off with an open-jaw or multi-city ticket. They are not necessarily more expensive than two round-trips. Try your city to Krakow, Krakow-Athens and Barcelona-home. Search Delta, AA, etc for the multi-city route.

This. I can't see what the point would be in flying to Athens when you wish to go to Poland first. Open jaw tickets are the way to go. Just watch out for the baggage fees/restrictions on the smaller regional airlines. Years ago it used to be true that round trips were much less expensive than multi-city ticketing but that is no longer the case.

Most of the cruise line air operations won't book you to non-cruise ports. So I wouldn't expect it.

As this is really about flying, better to ask on the Cruise Air board. Tons of expertise there.

We have been lately discovering that the cruise air program of Princess, HAL, Seabourn and Cunard (they all use the same air folks) can be pretty accommodating. Even their online options allow for flying into some non-cruise airports although the list is limited. But yesterday we had to speak with a HAL air expert (a different issue) and she proved to be very helpful. The impression I got was that they have substantial flexibility although even many of the cruise line reservations folks (the ones that answer the phone when you call the cruise line) are not even aware of all that the air folks can accomplish.

If cruising with one of those lines it might pay the OP to call the cruise line and ask to be transferred to somebody in the air office. In our case the reservations person actually refused to transfer us to the air office and she would not give us their direct phone number. So I had them transfer me to the Mariner's Club Office where I was quickly able to get connected to the air office (where they did give me a direct phone number). The person I talked to in the air office was very helpful and ran a few air pricing scenarios for me that I could not do online.

Hank

I have been to Poland three times as our destination after a cruise. I would recommend Krakow. It has a great airport that connects with lots of other lines. Try looking at Norwegian Airlines. I've flown twice in or out of Krakow. Also, many (but not NCL) cruiseair programs let you connect with a non-port city.

Check Skyscanner for different airlines to fly into Krakow.

In Krakow, I have lots of suggestions on my website. Leave a comment with your email on my site if you have questions. www.DonnaGawell.com Go to Travel to Europe and Australia- look for Poland, esp my reviews and list of what to do in Krakow.

For Auschwitz- take a tour that picks you up at the hotel or apartment. With only three days, you don't want to waste your time with a train. There are tours that do the salt mine and Auschwitz in one long intensive day. A bus works well also. We took a bus to Zakopane (you don't have time for this.).

I would go to Schindler's museum in Krakow if you want a good sense of WWII.

Book an apartment with Downtown Krakow Apartments on Bartslowa. Great location, nice place, safe and inexpensive.

Krakow is the most underrated city in all of Europe. I absolutely love it. It has castles, lovely churches, history, WWII history, is beautiful, the largest medieval square in Europe- stunning! One of the best parts is that everything about traveling in Poland is a real bargain! Be sure to eat at what is called a Milk Bar.

BTW- I don't speak a word of Polish, but got along just fine. Most people in Krakow speak English.

https://donnagawell.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=3125&action=edit