Prinsendam Internet??

BlackJack2

First time on the Prinsendam - how is the internet onboard? Is it slow like the rest of the fleet or has HAL updated the internet on the Prinsendam? Is it unlimited or by the minute?

It's the unlimited package.

Internet can be really decent and it can let you down - depends on where the ship is(reception up North is not usually good) and what can be blocking the satellite. (an officer educated me on the latter on our last Prinsendam cruise).

Just got off the Prinsendam this morning. Internet was decent in public areas but not so great in our room. It was frustrating as the wifi would keep cutting out. For example, on my live thread last night, it took me about half an hour to make a post and most of that was spent trying to connect to the wifi (in our room). But when I used it in the library, it worked well. I had the middle package (Surf) I think it was called.

Now I'm at the hotel and am amazed at the speed here...

Thank you for the information. Do you recall the prices on the internet packages?

I don't have the info readily available right now. I should after I get home tomorrow. The sheet that I have shows only the daily prices, though (and is the same as had been previously posted so you might try to search for it, if you need it sooner than I can provide). It doesn't show the cost for a 14 or 28 day segment. That is only visible when one signs in for the first time. For my cruise, the Surf package was $259.99 for 28 days.

Just got off the Prinsendam this morning. Internet was decent in public areas but not so great in our room. It was frustrating as the wifi would keep cutting out. For example, on my live thread last night, it took me about half an hour to make a post and most of that was spent trying to connect to the wifi (in our room). But when I used it in the library, it worked well. I had the middle package (Surf) I think it was called.

Now I'm at the hotel and am amazed at the speed here...

There are some great little apps you can get for your smart phone that do analysis on the WiFi connections available. You can see the quality of the various signals from the WiFi units. I also tend to look in the hall outside my room to see where they are located in relation to my room. Just search in your store for Wifi Analysis, there are quite a few.

I'm not the least bit surprised that the public areas are better than rooms. They are more open and don't have all those pesky (metal) walls between the access points and your receiver.

Satellite connections on the ship depend on location and movement. Remember that dish is way high up on the ship and can have a pretty good arc of movement. Its pretty amazing that it can even keep the connection running consistently when the ship is rocking and pitching.

And finally, don't forget that what we passengers get, is just a fraction of the total bandwidth available. The ship services and crew get the majority of whats available.

For my cruise, the Surf package was $259.99 for 28 days.

In August we paid $169.99 for the 14 day Surf Package. The basic package is only good for social media sites, you need the middle level (Surf) package to be able to do email and visit any website like your bank and/or CC.

There's definitely an advantage to being near the access points on the ship. The real throughput will be better if you are in line of sight of an access point. Walls and doors can often degrade the signal enough to make a difference. I've found the effective speed to be different between the desk by the window and the make up table further inside the cabin. On the Eurodam, it was worth it to head up to the Crow's Nest, on the Internet cafe side, to do any serious work. A lot of it is the luck of your cabin placement with respect to the access points.