? about suites on Gem

meglet

Now that the Gem is moving to Boston, I have a new ship to think about. I've stayed in aft penthouses and family suite with balcony on Dawn. Loved the quiet of the SF at the end of the ship, the size of the balcony, but not the noise of the wake. Having stayed in the family suite last summer, I really loved the bathroom compared to the SF. So for an older couple going on Gem who love a balcony, what would you recommend for a suite on Gem? Thanks for any thoughts!

Not to derail... but quick question for you - on the Dawn Family Suites with balcony, are the balconies covered or uncovered?

We also love SF on Dawn and are looking to Gem for future cruising from Boston.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Forums mobile app

The balconies on the family suites with balcony are not covered. I much prefer this cabin category in the Star than on the Dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what you are all looking for and you have the Haven option as well. I'd say H3 or SE in the front although balcony can be windy under sail, not too bad sitting down. Or SC/H4 or DOS. The DOS has great views over pool area and huge deck with hottub.

OP : we have sailed in aft-facing SF Penthouse suites on the Gem and the Jade (sister ships), as well as in a forward-facing SE Penthouse on the Jewel (another sister ship). I'm surprised the wake bothered you, it's such a great, relaxing sound. But if you wanted to try an SF on the Gem, the balconies of the SFs on Deck 10 are larger (deeper) than they are on the other decks.

We picked the forward-facing SE on the Jewel for a Panama Canal cruise, and it was awesome to have that view. Not just for the Canal, but the entire time. Plus, an extra bonus: stargazing!! We were on Deck 10, directly under the bridge. That meant NO lights at all at night, no lights in the bow, curtains had to be drawn in the cabin. No light pollution made for great stargazing; we even saw the Milky Way.

Yes, the Haven suites cost more, but keep in mind there is NO dedicated "Haven" restaurant, as on the new mega-ships, and ALL suites on the Gem have access to breakfast and lunch in Cagney's (or Moderno) with a specific suite menu. I have never been impressed with the Haven "pool" area on the Jewel-class ships. But we haven't stayed in a Haven on the Jewel class ships, so I can't say it's not worth the money, just that it has never interested us.

We love the Gem, we've sailed on her three times.

Enjoy!

I've never heard anyone actually complain about the wake on an aft balcony. For most that's one of the big selling points.

Ditto, my wife and I have had an Aft Suite of the Gem twice. Love leaving the slider open (when its cool enough at night) and falling asleep to the sound of the wake.

I understand. I like the aft, but my DH doesn't like the sound either. We've been in pretty much all the suites on the Gem. Mostly now we book the forward suites for the large balcony. We like 10000 and 10500 as they follow the line of the bridge and have a little more interior space.

However, those cabins have the same bathroom layout as the aft suites. To me, it's the only downside of these suites. The Haven cabins, both in and out of the Haven have the larger bathrooms. We do like the Owners suites also but just can't justify the price. Also the 2 bedroom suites not part of the Haven will give you the bigger bathroom without the Haven cost. These are along the side of the ship.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for all your replies. The Gem IS running more expensive than all my Dawn cruises. Maybe if I hit the lottery I'd go for the suite with its own private hot tub! Good to know that the front suites have usable balconies even under sail.

The Gem's forward suite balconies are huge, however, be aware they do not have a clear glass forward wall like other balcony barriers. Check out a forward suite on youtube to see what I mean.

Here are some photos of forward-facing 10500 on the Jewel (sister ship of the Gem); we did not consider the lack of a glass wall to be a problem. It was a fabulous suite, especially with the "bump out" from being under the bridge, giving us that bay window and terrific sitting area.

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)