Australian New Zealand Cruise visa requirements

BIGADORF

I have read different facts regarding the need for a visa for cruises.

One thing I read said both Australia and New Zealand require a visa that can be purchased online. Another one said only Australia requires it, not New Zealand. Also that the visa can be gotten up to 1 year in advance and is good for 3 months of travel. Can someone verify the correct answer?

Thank you:D

One thing I read said both Australia and New Zealand require a visa that can be purchased online. Another one said only Australia requires it, not New Zealand. Also that the visa can be gotten up to 1 year in advance and is good for 3 months of travel. Can someone verify the correct answer?

The correct answer would depend on the nationality of your Passport. Would that be the USA, Ghana, or whatever? But in the event that you hold a valid US Passport (with at least 3 months remaining) you would not need a Visa to visit New Zealand (for up to 3 months). But you will need a Visa for Australia which is easy to obtain online. Just be cautious to use the official NZ visa site. There are some third party vendors (online) who will get you a NZ Visa for an extra fee which is a real con.

Hank

You can find all the current correct information regarding passports and visas on line at the official web sites for the Embassy of New Zealand and the Embassy of Australia. The answer varies depending on your passport and citizenship.

The correct answer would depend on the nationality of your Passport. Would that be the USA, Ghana, or whatever? But in the event that you hold a valid US Passport (with at least 3 months remaining) you would not need a Visa to visit New Zealand (for up to 3 months). But you will need a Visa for Australia which is easy to obtain online. Just be cautious to use the official NZ visa site. There are some third party vendors (online) who will get you a NZ Visa for an extra fee which is a real con.

Hank

Ok, let me make sure what you are saying. I will need to go online to official site for Australia and purchase an ETA visa for about $14AUD. I do not need to do anything for NZ. What about Tahiti and Moorea? Thanks for your help.

Pooh

Ok, let me make sure what you are saying. I will need to go online to official site for Australia and purchase an ETA visa for about $14AUD. I do not need to do anything for NZ. What about Tahiti and Moorea? Thanks for your help.

Pooh

US Passport holders don't need anything for Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Pago Pago, or Apia.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

That is the link to apply for an Australian electronic travel authority, which is good for multiple entries up to one year after the date of issue, for stays not to exceed 90 days at a time, for non-business purposes. It took about 3 minutes max to fill out the online app and get an approval back. Easy peasy.

Not that I am aware of. You need it to be able to board a flight to Oz.

Princess says

All guests, excluding Australian and New Zealand passport holders, are required to obtain an Australian visa or ETA. If you require an ETA, please visit

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp. You will be able to pay for and process the visa online. Please be sure you have independently acquired an Australian Visa or ETA in advance of sailing.

Just in case your itinerary includes Papua New Guinea, as ours does, Princess says V

isa arrangements will be made on arrival in Papua New Guinea. While there is currently no visa fee for guests arriving by cruise ship, a Quarantine Fee of AUD $6.00 per person (guests 12 and older) will be applied to your shipboard account. Your passport MUST be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the end of the cruise. An Incoming Guest Declaration form must be completed by all passport holders and presented at check in. Please visit

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/PNGDeclarationForm.pdf to download a copy of the form.

It does not appear that US citizens need to be concerned about Tahiti. There was nothing about that on our visa requirements on our itinerary that includes same.

Pooh

Go to the federal goverment, department of state web site which lists every country and what you need to visit that country. It points to the web site for an Austrialian visa, or your travel agent should help you get that document! Ok POOH

Pooh

After you do this online, everything else is automatic. You won’t actually receive any document. When you scan your passport as you arrive in Australia, the ETA will already be electronically attached.

Unless NZ has recently changed their rules, US Passport holders DO NOT need a Visa for visiting NZ. As to the other question about paying Princess to handle the Australian Visa....it will not happen. This is an electronic visa process for which you have to answer a few questions. It is very easy, relatively painless, and you do the financial transaction online as part of the Aussie visa process. You actually receive your visa info online.

As to the Society Islands (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, etc) US Passport holders do not need a Visa unless there has been a recent change.

So let me be crystal clear about Visa stuff. You can choose to listen to folks here on this blog or the bum out in the street. But no matter what we hear from folks, we always check on each countries own web site (and also the US Department of State web site) for the latest info. The reality is that folks can be wrong or a country can change its requirements at any time. We have even had a situation with one cruise line actually gave us (and about 3000 others) the wrong information. The burden and responsibility is on each cruiser to get the proper information and comply with the rules.

Hank