How safe is the food in Cuba?

LB_NJ

Very.. I did a food tour and went back to one of the places for lunch the next day. I had zero issues on the cruise. Of course, now that I'm home, everything bothers my stomach, but in Havana, Cozumel and on the ship, I was fine.

I LOVED Nao Bar Paladar....

I sailed with Royal and I *NEVER* do ship tours.. NEVER EVER! I despise the crowds and the high prices. You DO NOT have to book through the cruise line, any cruise line, regardless of what they say. The pier agents for Royal (who do NOT work directly for Royal) gave me a hard time about marking Support for the Cuban People and rather than waste time, I had a set of OFAC forms completed with People to People to placate them... but I digress...

I used FoodToursHavana.com and booked ahead, prepaying the cost ($79) in USD on line (they are based in, or owned by a company based in, the USA that's why the USD payment was permitted.)

The tour was AWESOME and I was stuffed by the end of the tour, so much so that I skipped the final stop (for ice cream) and went back to the ship.

The food is excellent, especially if you go to small family restaurants. We had wonderful meals. Stay away from the large government owned restaurants. We were told by several Cubans that the food there is not good.

The most important thing we were told prior and throughout to our cruise was not to drink the water or ice in Cuba. So instead we enjoyed one of the local beers, Crystal. It was very good and cold.