mlshum

Looking for info on hiking Gros Piton

My husband and I really want to hike Gros Piton while on our cruise but we're a little concerned about the timing. There are several tour companies who offer the excursion. Has anyone done this recently? Did you have any issues getting back to the port on time? Which tour company did you use and did you like them?

Thanks for your help!

Michelle

What time is your cruise ship will be in port. You are correct a lot of companies do offer this. I would suggest a speed boat to cut the traveling time though this option is a bit expensive. I say contact the companies and see if this is doable for you. Keep in mind that driving is 1.5 hours each way, the hike is approximately 4 hours depending on your speed. I have a friend who has done it so many times with his best time being 55 minutes up and 45 minutes down, but then he has had some practice.

My husband and I did the hike 5 years ago using Spencer Ambrose.  We loved it.  We took a speed boat to the base and he had a guide there waiting for us.  Wonderful young man named Cameron.  It was a tough but amazing climb.  Absolutely beautiful and it felt like such an accomplishment when you got to the top.  The only reason I haven't booked it again for our upcoming cruise is he has added a $180 refundable late transport fee (plus a non-refundable $10 PayPal fee).  My understanding is he had issues with people not getting back down in time to meet the speed boat so he has to send another one later, which adds cost.  So to 'incent' you to get back down on time he's added the $180.  Well maybe not incent you, but to cover his costs.  It's understandable but made me too nervous to book.  The cost of the excursion is $150/person plus $1/person transaction fee.  We did it before he had the late transport fee but got down in time anyway.  Then they pick you up in the speed boat, you get taken to a beach, we had lunch, snorkeled and then they took you back to the ship.  A wonderful day.