How do you get your cruise director to announce your group at the welcome aboard show

Luvcruisin76

Never understood why people would want to do this as only those in the group would have an interest, and they know they are there. [emoji3]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Very true and a terrible precedent. What if 50 groups wanted this and the rest of us had to sit thru it.

Very true and a terrible precedent. What if 50 groups wanted this and the rest of us had to sit thru it.

Or those other groups all gathered at the GS desk right afterward, complaining they weren't mentioned. If I were the CD, I would flat out refuse...but that's just me.

My husband says we're living in the "Look at ME" generation. He's so right.

On our August Breeze cruise, there was a family/group of people front and center near the lido pool at the sail away party who all had (stupid) matching shirts. One guy, who appeared to be the patriarch, was wearing a captains hat (how original). He worked really hard to be the center of attention, trying to stay on camera. When the CD came out to start the proceedings, this guy gets right next to him, continuing the bad dancing, etc. In short order, other Carnival employees and Thing 1 and Thing 2 gathered around the CD, effective pushing the attention hog out of the frame. Once he realized nobody was "Looking At Me", he faded away. Too funny. That 5 minutes reminded me why I avoid the Lido Pool area during our cruises (I was passing through getting some water from the buffet area).

I guess this might be like hearing "happy Birthday" sung for the 15th time in the MDR? Those involved will appreciate it and the rest of us either ignore it or think enough already?

My oldest son loves the Happy Birthday song in the MDR. He intentionally sings very loud and very off-key. Makes me laugh..a lot. My wife..not so much. Oh well.

Have to agree with DH. It's crazy/hard for us "old timers" to watch .

Not saying change is bad, but the lack of respect, look at me attitude is pushing boundaries.

Yep, very valid point. My wife and I will be traveling with another couple and are a "small group".... can we get announced too? SMH.

On our August Breeze cruise, there was a family/group of people front and center near the lido pool at the sail away party who all had (stupid) matching shirts. One guy, who appeared to be the patriarch, was wearing a captains hat (how original). He worked really hard to be the center of attention, trying to stay on camera. When the CD came out to start the proceedings, this guy gets right next to him, continuing the bad dancing, etc. In short order, other Carnival employees and Thing 1 and Thing 2 gathered around the CD, effective pushing the attention hog out of the frame. Once he realized nobody was "Looking At Me", he faded away. Too funny. That 5 minutes reminded me why I avoid the Lido Pool area during our cruises (I was passing through getting some water from the buffet area).

Considering he was the patriarch, he probably wasn't a part of what OP's DH was referring to, but as a millennial, I find it's boomers who are more of the "Look at me" generation anyway

On Disney, when you board the ship, your name is announced over the loudspeakers while employees clap and cheer for you on both sides as you walk into the atrium. And they do this for every family/group. Talk about teaching kids at a very young age to be part of the “look at me” generation. [emoji6]

We had some mixed emotions. When we sailed on the Disney Fantasy last November and they did this, my thoughts were “this is cool / this is embarrassing / kill me now / I want to cry / I could get used to the attention / no I can’t / glad that’s over! “. [emoji23]

But based on some frequent Disney cruisers that we’ve spoken to, it’s a popular thing. They consider that welcome as one of the highlights of their cruise and something they look forward to every time they sail on Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow didn't realize everyone would be so incredibly rude! We have a lot of new cruisers so thought it would be fun for them. I've been on many and don't care if anyone knows I'm there just thought it would be fun for them. Sorry that I just wanted to help them have fun.

Wow didn't realize everyone would be so incredibly rude! We have a lot of new cruisers so thought it would be fun for them. I've been on many and don't care if anyone knows I'm there just thought it would be fun for them. Sorry that I just wanted to help them have fun.

Remember your audience. ;)

...Sorry that I just wanted to help them have fun.

Pardon me for truncating your post, but I am going to take a reply a different direction.

You sound like me, experienced cruiser, recruits friends and family to go along, arranges much of the details and wants everyone to have a good time. Been there...

When I and perhaps many others have done this most all had a great vacation except me. I was the tour guide, ship expert, the “where do I go for this?” Answer man.

I stopped doing that and our vacations still are memorable. We “took” a group of seventeen last New Years Eve and I had them all over months prior for burgers and a cruise talk. I showed the Carnival shore excursions via Apple TV, we read the online reviews and then everyone made a personal decision on their vacation plans.

In Cozumel my wife and I went to Nachi Cocom by ourselves and spent the entire day. We were some of the last to board the ship prior to sail away. We spend the rest of the evening getting showered, enjoying a casual dinner and then the piano bar. It was a great day. Somehow everyone else survived.

I might have taken a rabbit trail from your original question, but if this hits home heed my advice. Go on vacation. Let the others do the same!

Read all the responses, and I can't consider the differing opinions rude. No need to slander someone's point of view if it doesn't agree with yours. I have seem many rude comments on other threads in this forum, but not here.

Rude, how so? But as someone who has "been on many" do you think you'd find it "fun" to have every group introduced? There should be plenty of fun to be found that and isn't "hey, acknowledge me".

As someone who's traveled with other large groups, don't force the newbies into having fun, let them experience things on their own. I recall our first cruise not knowing what to do and having a new experience was half the fun. [emoji41]