Good Pickup Location at Havensight Dock/Mall

LE

We're going to be arriving in St. Thomas on the Carnival "Fascination" and be picked up by a local friend. He apparently isn't that familiar with the Havensight Dock and Mall area, so is asking where he should meet us. Anyone know enough about the area to suggest a good place for us to meet up with him?

We're going to be arriving in St. Thomas on the Carnival "Fascination" and be picked up by a local friend. He apparently isn't that familiar with the Havensight Dock and Mall area, so is asking where he should meet us. Anyone know enough about the area to suggest a good place for us to meet up with him?

Al Cohen's Discount Liquor Mall in St Thomas at Havensight is right across the street from where you get taxi's into town. Large parking lot and should be easy to park and pick you up...Google for some pictures..but very easy to find.

You're very lucky to be docking there it's our favorite...hate that RCI now docks at Crown Bay.

Thanks. How long would you estimate time wise to walk to there from the ship? My wife is a little frail, so I was hoping for them to meet us maybe a bit closer. Is it hard, or maybe not possible, finding a place to park inside the Havensight Mall area?

Thanks. How long would you estimate time wise to walk to there from the ship? My wife is a little frail, so I was hoping for them to meet us maybe a bit closer. Is it hard, or maybe not possible, finding a place to park inside the Havensight Mall area?

More than likely they'll be a shuttle from the ship to the stores (mall area) at Havensight....parking is very limited but he might also park just inside the gate where the shuttles pick up to take cruiser's into town. Google Havensight and you should be able to see a picture and navigate around to easily see what I'm referring to.

Perhaps your friend can just play it by ear and get as close as he can to finding parking and then text you of his location.

Sorry I misunderstood who needed this arrangement to accommodate for the ease of your wife and not the friend driving/parking in a place he was unfamiliar with.

Best of luck !!

Edited by Ashland

Thanks so much for your good info. May I pick your thoughts one more time?

I am thinking we'll take you up on advising him to look for a parking spot in the Al Cohen Discount Liquor Mall parking area and to wait there with his phone on. Then as we're ready to leave the ship we can phone/text him and have him drive on inside the Havensight Mall and pick us up at some designated location we need to come up with.

So my next question is what might be a good location for us to have him drive in and meet us? I have looked at the maps and wonder if he would be able to drive in to the Tourist Information building, or if not there, would you suggest a location that might work good for us? Closest to the ship as he might be able to drive to.

Al Cohen Discount Mall is now a bowling alley. The most popular meeting places are the restaurants Tap and Still or Smoking Rooster.

Looking at Google maps, Smoking Rooster looks fairly close to walk to from the ship. You think our friend could find a parking place around there? Guess we could buy a BBQ sandwich or two to give them some business. Any thoughts ?

Al Cohen Discount Mall is now a bowling alley. The most popular meeting places are the restaurants Tap and Still or Smoking Rooster.

But the large building is still there with lots of parking and easy to find and get in/out of. I suggested this because of the location and the picture available on the Havensight website the OP can see.

Smoking Rooster is one of our favorites...great stuffed baked potatoes and love their Banana Pudding...I believe there is parking in the rear...the OP's friend could possibly make his way there...As I said much easier to play it by ear once there using texting.

Just tell your friend to drive into Heavensight Mall and find a place to wait near the ship. You can get fairly close to the ship in a car, maybe within 100-150 yards. There's a Señor Frogs at the end of the pier right next to where the ships dock and you can get there by car with no problem. He will likely be able to find a spot to wait either close to the ship or in front of the stores. If I recall correctly, I don't remember seeing carts to shuttle people from the gangway to the mall but I wasn't really looking either. Tell your friend to drive as if he were going to the Avis office besides the pier. He should go there a few days before to find it, in case he's really not that familiar with the area.

If a local isn't that familiar with Havensight Al Cohen reference will be confusing, imo.

There is plenty of parking near Smoking Rooster and Tap and Still restaurants. There are 2 lots within walking distance of Smoking Rooster and a large lot near Tap and Still.

It depends on what time you get off the ship. The only restaurant at Havensight open early for breakfast is Delly Deck, another popular restaurant. If you want max time with your local friend ask to meet at Delly Deck. If you want to meet later try Smoking Rooster or Tap and Still. Depending on your phone plan you may not have text capabilities unless you have WhatsApp.

If a local isn't that familiar with Havensight Al Cohen reference will be confusing, imo.

There is plenty of parking near Smoking Rooster and Tap and Still restaurants. There are 2 lots within walking distance of Smoking Rooster and a large lot near Tap and Still.

It depends on what time you get off the ship. The only restaurant at Havensight open early for breakfast is Delly Deck, another popular restaurant. If you want max time with your local friend ask to meet at Delly Deck. If you want to meet later try Smoking Rooster or Tap and Still. Depending on your phone plan you may not have text capabilities unless you have WhatsApp.

My reference to Al Cohen building was to allow the OP and or friend to look on Google and from that point will allow navigation around the area...

Sorry you thought it was confusing but my post was done before I knew of the physical frail condition of the poster's DW.

But the large building is still there with lots of parking and easy to find and get in/out of. I suggested this because of the location and the picture available on the Havensight website the OP can see.

Smoking Rooster is one of our favorites...great stuffed baked potatoes and love their Banana Pudding...I believe there is parking in the rear...the OP's friend could possibly make his way there...As I said much easier to play it by ear once there using texting.

We already told him Smoking Rooster, so don't think we'll change it. We can walk that far with no problem. But we mentioned to him we'd meet at the restaurant's entrance. In looking at the map, I was wondering about that, as it does look like parking is in the back like you say. Should I tell him we'll meet him in the back where the parking is, or will he be able to drive up to the entrance? Sorry if I sound confused - likely am. :):)

We already told him Smoking Rooster, so don't think we'll change it. We can walk that far with no problem. But we mentioned to him we'd meet at the restaurant's entrance. In looking at the map, I was wondering about that, as it does look like parking is in the back like you say. Should I tell him we'll meet him in the back where the parking is, or will he be able to drive up to the entrance? Sorry if I sound confused - likely am. :):)

He'll need to park in the back...the front faces a pedestrian walkway...Easy for you to walk toward the back parking area...it will make sense to you once there.. I think you seem to have everything now under control and your plans sound great.

Please have a wonderful time and enjoy this trip and the visit with your friend.

Do come back and let us all know how it went.

Happy, healthy and safe travels !

There are multiple entrances to Smoking Rooster, but if you meet in the inside air conditioned section, it's small enough so you can't miss each other. There is an entrance to the air conditioned section facing North, and another facing west and there are parking areas near both entrances.

There may still be another parking area close to the outside seating area but that parking area is now mostly a taxi waiting area. Not sure if they still allow others to park there which is why I recommend meeting inside so there's no confusion.

There is much more parking at Havensight than there is at Al Cohen's.

This board is so good. You all have been very helpful. Thanks so much. I'm sure we can work it out from all the good info here. For clarification, we plan to meet him at 9:30 a.m. I see the restaurant opens at 10:00 a.m. so can't meet up inside. We'll catch him in back parking area.

There are a few benches near the parking lot but I think those closest to Smoking Rooster aren't in the shade.

We're sure hoping we have to sit in the sun. Looking at the weather forecast, it appears we might be getting off the ship in the rain. :')

Our plans are to head to Magens Bay for a wedding vows renewal ceremony, going back to celebrate where we were married there on the beach 20 years ago. We're of course very excited!

If the rain comes, so be it. We won't let it dampen our celebration - plan B in a local church will carry us on!:halo:

Thanks again for yours and fellow cruisers or locals here on this board who help with many a celebrations!