Cruise Critic Community
bigAWL

Miami Check-in and Boarding Process for Divina

We're sailing the Divina on Dec 30 from Miami (staying in Maimi the night before). I would like to know approximately what to expect from the check-in process.

• When should we expect the port to open for embarking passengers? We like to show up as soon as we can for check-in.
  • Is there anything in particular we should ask at the check-in desk? Should we try to verify our drinks package upgrade, internet package, or excursions before boarding?
  • We are status-matched to Black card except for my mother-in-law who is Silver, but booked in the same cabin with Black level members. Will we all be given priority boarding privileges?
  • I've heard we might expect boarding to start between 11:30 and 12:00. Is that a fair approximation?
  • When should we expect to gain access to our cabins (two Fantastica balconies on deck 11).
  • I understand we will need to link our credit card to our account after boarding, but that it doesn't have to be done immediately. Is there something that we should consider doing immediately or soon after boarding?
  • When's the best time to book specialty dining, either from the Black card status or additional dinners?

Thanks for any input?

We're sailing the Divina on Dec 30 from Miami (staying in Maimi the night before). I would like to know approximately what to expect from the check-in process.

• When should we expect the port to open for embarking passengers? We like to show up as soon as we can for check-in.
  • Is there anything in particular we should ask at the check-in desk? Should we try to verify our drinks package upgrade, internet package, or excursions before boarding? Not sure if they would know at check in, you may have to go to Guest services once onboard.

• We are status-matched to Black card except for my mother-in-law who is Silver, but booked in the same cabin with Black level members. Will we all be given priority boarding privileges? Not sure on this one but you could all stand in the priority line, once upstairs in the check in hall, there are different check in desks for Black card holders.

• I've heard we might expect boarding to start between 11:30 and 12:00. Is that a fair approximation?
  • On Seaside they allow you on around 12 to 12.30 but check in opens around 11 to 11.30, I would guess the same for Seaside.

• When should we expect to gain access to our cabins (two Fantastica balconies on deck 11). Usually around 1.30 to 2 pm.

• I understand we will need to link our credit card to our account after boarding, but that it doesn't have to be done immediately. Is there something that we should consider doing immediately or soon after boarding? This is a feature on Seaside, not sure if Divina has been upgraded with it yet, they will take your details at the check in desk usually.

• When's the best time to book specialty dining, either from the Black card status or additional dinners? As soon as you can after you board.

Thanks for any input?

Response in Red.

My experience boarding Divina last Nov:

-Internet ID was printed on my cruise card

-If you are in the same cabin, silver would check in with you in Black Card Status line and board with you

-There’s 2 or 3 kiosks by guest services on board to register your credit card for purchase. Depending on when you board the lines can be a bit long but move quickly. Really doesn’t matter when you do it the first 24 hours onboard.

I highly recommend you bring a print out with you of your paid drink packages,internet package and excursions. It assists guest services should there be any hiccups with those items being linked to your room. I believe they will show up on your e-ticket as well.

I

Black card dinner reservations- I called Eataly the second day on board and mentioned the complimentary dinner. They confirmed and booked a table for my preferred date and time.

Ala carte options are limited on Divina but they were never overly busy.

Cabin availability was early in the afternoon.

The lunch buffet was a bit chaotic the first day but tables to be found usually at the back of the buffet.

Response in Red.

• I understand we will need to link our credit card to our account after boarding, but that it doesn't have to be done immediately. Is there something that we should consider doing immediately or soon after boarding? This is a feature on Seaside, not sure if Divina has been upgraded with it yet, they will take your details at the check in desk usually.

They were doing this on Divina in May 2016, can't remember if they were doing in in 2013 on the US inaugural. EM

EM ... As far as I recall they did not do it on the 2013 Transatlantic sailing.

I was on the divina last January. So things should still be pretty similar

Check in: I believe opens about 11:00 am but access to the ship isn’t granted right away. You check in and are assigned a boarding group. You can then sit in a lounge and wait for your boarding group. The time of boarding depends last year we checked in at 11:30 but boarding didn’t begin until 1:30 (which was a bit later than usual apparently)

Credit card:

You have to link it to your account by using a kiosk sometime in the first 24 hrs. They allow up to $300 of charges into your account as a courtesy before requiring a credit card so you can make some small purchases once onboard and just find a quiet time to setup your credit card.

Drink Packages:

Your upgrade should be printed on your card. I would bring a printout with you just in case. But if it isn’t just go and see guest services once onboard and they can correct it for you. I had to do that last year (yes everything should be right when you board but at the same time mistakes happen so it sucked having to wait in line but was corrected quickly with no issue and I didn’t need my printout). I don’t think shoreside check in can do much. My pre-purchased items were waiting for me in my room. I had to wait a few days for my onboard credit to show up on my account (apparently it takes 24-48 hrs from sailing for the shipboard computers to load all the shoreside info entirely).

For you dinner just call the restaurant of your choice once onboard to schedule your dinner for when you want it.

Your internet code will be printed on your key card. It should tell you when you sign in that your pkg is there

Once you board relax and enjoy the start of your vacation. I don’t remember what time rooms were ready. I think last year we went to the sports bar for a drink and some food, it was quiet there and it looked closed but was actually open. And afterwards we were able to go to our rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by joeyjeremiah

Last cruise was first time we tried getting to port late. It was WONDERFUL! I don't know if it will work for you, but for us, we got a late check out from hotel (2pm), took uber to port, walked into EMPTY check in hall, took about 4 minutes to check in, walked on to ship, directly to room to drop off our bags, and want to eat in buffet. We were on ship and in room within 15 minutes of getting out of the car.

Just a thought in case you don't want sit around and wait in lines.

Have a great cruise!

Last cruise was first time we tried getting to port late. It was WONDERFUL! I don't know if it will work for you, but for us, we got a late check out from hotel (2pm), took uber to port, walked into EMPTY check in hall, took about 4 minutes to check in, walked on to ship, directly to room to drop off our bags, and want to eat in buffet. We were on ship and in room within 15 minutes of getting out of the car.

Just a thought in case you don't want sit around and wait in lines.

Have a great cruise!

That is a very tempting thought. However, I don't think I can convince my family to hang out and relax when they know the ship is sitting just a few blocks away waiting for us.

Thanks to all who responded here, and I'd love to hear from others who've had experience.

Easiest way to tell your approximate boarding start time on the Divina is to see where the ship was on the sailing prior to yours. If Colombia was on the previous itinerary, expect boarding to start around 1:30 (give or take) for your sailing. CBP has different rules that apply for inbound inspection so it takes significantly longer. If no Colombia on previous itinerary, expect 11:30 to noon. Obviously things can be dependant on other factors but it is a good guideline.

Also, don't be too concerned with the 24 hour credit card kiosk rule mentioned here. It is in fact the $300 rule but the 24 hour rule is only a "strong suggestion". I have gone several days without making it to the kiosk and had no issues. Having sailed on the Divina 8 times so far, I feel like she is my home away from home.

Bret

On YC last week, arrived at pier at 10 45AM , on the ship at 11 30AM --food service begins at Noon, rooms ready around 130PM

Easiest way to tell your approximate boarding start time on the Divina is to see where the ship was on the sailing prior to yours. If Colombia was on the previous itinerary, expect boarding to start around 1:30 (give or take) for your sailing. CBP has different rules that apply for inbound inspection so it takes significantly longer. If no Colombia on previous itinerary, expect 11:30 to noon. Obviously things can be dependant on other factors but it is a good guideline.

Bret

Related to that, our cruise does stop in Colombia. Do you have an idea of how long it typically takes for an American family to clear customs and immigration?