Fort Myers (RSW) flight after cruise

Duck Down

We recently booked a cruise out of Miami but was having trouble finding an affordable flight out of the area on the Sunday. Our flight in is one way to FLL.

I checked Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach and all three were expensive unless it was a late night flight. I was looking at getting a rental and driving to Orlando, but even that was a little high priced.

I was playing around and found a 2:15 pm direct flight out of Fort Meyers which was very reasonable even with the cost of the rental and gas. The drive is less than Orlando and we have never driven Alligator Alley. It feels like a bit of an adventure. We have priority debarkation so should be able to be off the ship by 7:30.

Has anyone done the drive to Fort Myers to catch a flight before?

I haven't driven there from Port Of Miami, but I was at RSW last month for a stay at Seminole Immokalee

I also used to live in Clearwater, so I've been on the route quite a bit.

You should have plenty of time to get to RSW. Sunday should be great

For a 2:15 flight you need to be at RSW by about 12:45; the drive from Miami to Fort Meyers is about 150 miles and should take you, with no delays, about 2.5 hours. I would add at least 30-45+ minutes to account for the time to pick up your rental car (downtown or MIA). That translates into off the ship, with bags and clear of customs/immigration NLT about 9:15-9:30 It all should work, but you have lots of moving parts, not much flexibility, and just one hiccup could spoil your plans.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out. ;)

Well I have to emphatically disagree with Ericosmith...I love Alligator Alley. If you drive a reasonable speed you will see tons and tons of wildlife. Amazing birds and gators everywhere. But, I love the Everglades and do spend a lot of my free time there so I suppose it is about perspective. Given all of that, I think JohninDC is correct...one little bump could change everything. Why stress your self out? You could take same flight next day and really enjoy the drive across, stop at some great places for a short hike and extend your vacation one more day!

Being snowbirds on the west coast of Fla, we drive to FLL and MIA for cruise departures and always take Alligator Alley back and forth. It's an easy, direct and fairly relaxing drive, especially on a Sunday. However, if you think it's going to be a thrilling adventure....it's not! YA, you'll see a gator now and then and birds, but th drive is about as exciting as watching your grass grow. The Ft Myers Airport is right off the highway and it's a nice not too congested or chaotic airport. We try to fly in/out of there as opposed to Tampa (we're about 1/2 way between the two). If you do the self walkoff and there are no snafus, you should have no problem making your flight.

It's a very easy drive across Alligator Alley and RSW is a great smaller airport. Living in Naples for a long time, I flew out of there often and did the drive over to the ports over here many times. I also owned our home in Naples overlapping with our place in by the Port Miami for over 2 years so made that drive weekly.

Alligator Alley unfortunately won't be too much of an adventure, it's really just another stretch of I-75 that has 2 rest stops and a gas station with a small store & rest stop along the way. If you are lucky, you can spot an alligator possibly swimming along the route and a bird or two, but that's about it. I've unfortunately never been able to see tons of wildlife while making the drive, would have made for a nice change of pace!

It will take you around 2 1/2 hours to 2 hours & 40 minutes to get from the port to RSW. You should have no issues on a Sunday with traffic As others have said, you can make it if you leave early and nothing goes wrong.

TSA lines are very manageable at RSW, especially if you have TSA pre-check.

Well I have to emphatically disagree with Ericosmith...I love Alligator Alley. If you drive a reasonable speed you will see tons and tons of wildlife. Amazing birds and gators everywhere. But, I love the Everglades and do spend a lot of my free time there so I suppose it is about perspective. Given all of that, I think JohninDC is correct...one little bump could change everything. Why stress your self out? You could take same flight next day and really enjoy the drive across, stop at some great places for a short hike and extend your vacation one more day!

It's really not quality wildlife viewing at 80MPH :)