What is the latest you can get to the port on embarkation day?

Hoosier-Cruiser

Dumb / odd question warning:

I did a brief search and didn’t see anything on this.

My DW and I are sailing on the Regal Princess next month sailing from Fort Lauderdale. We found out today that my daughter has a school performance that, potentially, may make it so that we will be getting into town late. We are usually at the port by 10am, but that may not happen this time.

I read that Princess and immigration would like (require) everyone “checked in” 90 minutes prior to sailing. We have completed the online check in already, if that matters.

My question is, what is the latest time we can get to the port and still be permitted to board?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done a few BVE's and they are usually closing up shop at 3:00, that is unless they are waiting for a transfer bus.

Thanks. That’s about what I was thinking. Under ideal circumstances, we’d be getting to the port around 12:30. But that’s if we don’t have issues with traffic on the way down.

What's a BVE?
”Bon Voyage Experience.”

At a few US ports, not all, you can pay $39/pp to board the ship first and stay onboard until Muster. It includes lunch in the dining room with beverages (wine, soda, etc.), a professional photograph, and about three hours onboard. You have full run of the ship. You can even buy an FCC. The $39 is then credited to your Captain’s Circle account as a credit towards a future cruise as long as you book within the next 3-4 months.

You do not have to know anyone sailing on the ship. Anyone can book it. If you have family or friends sailing, they can board with you. You cannot book a BVE if you are sailing on the cruise. In other words, you can’t book it just to be the first to board.

My question is, what is the latest time we can get to the port and still be permitted to board?

Thanks in advance.

Seems to me I saw someplace that at U.S. ports the ship files the passenger manifest 60 minutes before sailing. Muster is always around 30 minutes before sailing, and there is always a special muster announced for those boarding late.

I've seen Princess hold the ship for a large group and then sail immediately after they boarded. There's a phone number (800-545-0008) for people to call Princess if they have "unforeseen flight or weather-related delays" on the way to the ship. I guess it would work for unforeseen traffic delays as well.

Since you are driving to the port rather than flying it’s a little less nerve wracking, although hoping you aren’t driving a long distance straight through. Flying I would be a nervous wreck to get in late!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be a long drive (1200 miles) straight through, but we will have 2 drivers and we are used to long hauls to Florida.

Luckily, we will be passing through the traffic trouble areas when most people are sleeping.

Rough estimates have us getting to the port between 12:30 and 1:00, which gives us about 2 hours buffer for unforeseen events.

It would be a long drive (1200 miles) straight through, but we will have 2 drivers and we are used to long hauls to Florida.

Luckily, we will be passing through the traffic trouble areas when most people are sleeping.

Rough estimates have us getting to the port between 12:30 and 1:00, which gives us about 2 hours buffer for unforeseen events.

Sent from my iPhone using

Forums

We were stuck on I95 once about 50 miles North of Fort Lauderdale after a car blew a tire and rolled over hitting other cars badly in the process.

All the lanes were blocked with multiple damaged vehicles and the state troopers closed the road about 200 yards in front of us.

We were stationary for nearly 3 hours while the injured were taken to hospital by helicopter and the damaged cars were removed.

We did actually make it to the ship just as Lifeboat Muster was taking place, we had allowed a couple of hours extra for our drive which is less than 3 hours from home normally.

That's as close as I want to come to waving goodbye to my cruise.

Its not uncommon for all but one lane on I95 to be closed down after an accident and a long tailback.

Once you get to within a couple of hundred miles of Miami there are a lot of tired semi drivers on I95 who have driven from NYC area, exceeding their permitted hours and sleepy. It causes accidents.

Dumb / odd question warning:

I did a brief search and didn’t see anything on this.

My DW and I are sailing on the Regal Princess next month sailing from Fort Lauderdale. We found out today that my daughter has a school performance that, potentially, may make it so that we will be getting into town late. We are usually at the port by 10am, but that may not happen this time.

I read that Princess and immigration would like (require) everyone “checked in” 90 minutes prior to sailing. We have completed the online check in already, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

You are a wonderful Parent. I have children as well, but frankly I would have a trusted friend tape the performance and leave so you dont have o worry about arriving on time and missing the boat. But thats just me. We are about 3 hours from the port an we are driving in the night before.

I understand that you say you may have no options...but that's hoping for a whole lot of luck. You're driving overnight. What if you have a car problem?

If you truly show up at noon or a bit later, that's no problem, but there are a whole lot of "what ifs" on a 1200 mile drive. Good luck. And yes, I've done a 16 hour drive to a cruise, but not with a time crunch.

Also in Nov., there can be some snow. We have had the snow start very early some years.

Or worse ice on the roads.

This is the big unknown. If the weather looks like it would not cooperate, we would have to abandon the plan all together and take our time driving down. Still too many unknowns.

This is the big unknown. If the weather looks like it would not cooperate, we would have to abandon the plan all together and take our time driving down. Still too many unknowns.

I think you already have the answers. What you are proposing is simply nutz. Perhaps it will work out and perhaps you will miss your ship. In the event that you do miss the cruise, due to weather, accidents, flat tire, road construction, etc. etc., then what is your Plan B? Can you easily catch up to the ship? Will you have insurance that will pay the extra costs given the poor planning? This latter issue is because most insurance policies have a requirement that air flights must be scheduled to arrive at least 6 hours (this can vary) prior to the scheduled departure of the vessel. We have no idea how these policies function if one is driving and does not leave adequate extra time for contingencies.

Hank