Cruise Critic Community
fshagan

NCL Survey: What to call "Sail Away" and "Promos Included" Fares?

I received an email today from NCL with a link to a survey about how to accurately name the various offers they provide, in particular the no-promos rate and the rate with promos included. They showed how the two offers would be presented side by side and asked me to choose the title for each option. They asked if the offers seemed confusing.

There were several questions with multiple choice selections rating various marketing terms as "Cheap", "Value" or "Premium" sounding, including "Sale away from", "Basic cruise fare from", etc. There were basic questions that centered around my preference for either a "basic cruise and I pay for the extras I want" or a "more inclusive fare that includes everything". One question explored the idea of what the deciding factor is between cruise lines if all other things are the same, ports, number of days, etc. and options included price, reputation of the cruise line, prior experience with cruise line, recommendations from TAs or friends, etc.

I'm impressed by the survey itself, and the content.

Its good they are asking.

How about calling "Basic cruise fare" the "Nickel and Dime Rate" and the

"more inclusive fare that includes everything" the "Cruise Classic." :D

Why not just copy from Olive Garden's never ending pasta bowl ad.

"Ncl's Never Ending Take 5 Free" with T&Cs "...must be a lawyer to fully understand..."

All that fancy, descriptive use of creative terms are great ... and, they should consider some "write-in" suggestions from CC members, i.e. Early Booking, Latitude Onboard Exclusive, Late Booking, Last Call Booking, etc.

Sounds good. Now, hire a new I.T. team that is avalable and on-call 24/7/365 to dynamically manage their website and changes. Keeping up with what's excluded or not, combinable or not, and, fully refundable or not ... Confusing is just part of the challenge, the final testing grade isn't until you are onboard, and nothing is definitive until the final Onboard Statement is printed out with the charges posted. Credits/refunds and adjustments applied aren't necessary reversed back for X number of weeks, post-cruise as we've read/seen ... here on CC.

This new limited time promo of "free" unlimited WiFi, fleetwide, on selected sailings, non-combinable with ... is just an example. Oh well, life is complicated and cruising is not any different, first world problems.

Its good they are asking.

How about calling "Basic cruise fare" the "Nickel and Dime Rate" and the

"more inclusive fare that includes everything" the "Cruise Classic." :D

I don't think specialty dining (when it was invented) or booze was ever included in the price of the cruise on any of the mass market cruise lines, was it? Hard to call that "classic" if no one did it before in this market segment. Some luxury lines do include booze (Crystal, etc.) On the other hand, I've heard from more than a few old timers about paying for lounge chairs near the pool in the good old days.

The promos are extra cost items that they sometimes offer as a package deal at reduced pricing. The examples they showed had the fare increase clearly shown (with the "pick promos" offer about $150 more than the no-promos price). They didn't mention the service fee in the examples shown, and I think that's the main complaint new NCL cruisers have .... they pay more for the cruise with the promos, then there's this "sneaky" fee you see after you pick the promos. I don't know if the plan is for that $150 difference in fare price to include those fees (that would REALLY be an improvement!)

All that fancy, descriptive use of creative terms are great ... and, they should consider some "write-in" suggestions from CC members, i.e. Early Booking, Latitude Onboard Exclusive, Late Booking, Last Call Booking, etc.

There was an option for "Other: _______" on many of the questions, so you could write in your choice. It was narrowly focused on how to present the pricing and offers and didn't address other complaints you see here on CC.

Sounds good. Now, hire a new I.T. team that is avalable and on-call 24/7/365 to dynamically manage their website and changes. Keeping up with what's excluded or not, combinable or not, and, fully refundable or not ... Confusing is just part of the challenge, the final testing grade isn't until you are onboard, and nothing is definitive until the final Onboard Statement is printed out with the charges posted. Credits/refunds and adjustments applied aren't necessary reversed back for X number of weeks, post-cruise as we've read/seen ... here on CC.

This new limited time promo of "free" unlimited WiFi, fleetwide, on selected sailings, non-combinable with ... is just an example. Oh well, life is complicated and cruising is not any different, first world problems.

Agreed.

I think all this just shows that NCL is inching closer and closer to all inclusive cruises. You either pick a cheap rate, where you get no “freebies”, or you sail where everything’s included.

Someone on here joked awhile back that they'd soon be offering a bottom-rung option where you could only eat in the buffet and didn't have access to the MDR's.

I predict we'll see that implemented within 2 years.

I am glad they are conducting surveys like this. Hopefully it will make the options more obvious and descriptive to prospective cruisers who seem to be easily confused by the current language.

Agreed.

I think all this just shows that NCL is inching closer and closer to all inclusive cruises. You either pick a cheap rate, where you get no “freebies”, or you sail where everything’s included.

Yup, and it's not a bad model. I did a sailaway rate last year, paid a really low fare, had a little envy for the UBP, but completely understood my decision. I drank less than I would have and paid less than I would have.

Agreed.

I've been trying to tell people the same thing.

Maybe NCL will slowly march towards all-inclusive by starting with Haven (every promo included/no additional service charges....like it used to be :mad:) and will work their way down to other categories. Sure, it will cost more for us vs. paying a DSC if it is all-inclusive but some people seem to prefer simplified pricing vs. "pick and choose" even if simplified cost more....I don't know why they prefer it, though. :confused:

I don't think specialty dining (when it was invented) or booze was ever included in the price of the cruise on any of the mass market cruise lines, was it?

Alcohol no, but there WAS NO specialty dinning. It was ALL special. If you wanted lobster at dinner, everyday, you could have it. If you were still hungry, they had a giant midnight buffet.

It used to be similar to Oceania today. You pay for all drinks, but all food is included.