Cruise with Toddlers

MoBro713

I'm looking for a Caribbean cruise to take with my adult children and two 2 year old grandchildren. I know they're not allowed in the pools but I see that Royal Caribbean and Disney have "splash zones" for toddlers still in diapers. Are there other cruise lines that offer similar for toddlers?

Thanks

I’m sorry I can’t help with your inquiry, but do the parents want a drop off kids club? In that case you should look at carnival or Cunard which allow 2 year olds in their drop off programs. Disney, the ncl escape and newer and most refurbished rc ships will have a fee based nursery for kids under 3. Have a great trip.

We did DCL this last May with our 2 -year-old son. We were on the Disney Wonder, however, I believe they’re all the same programs. There was a finding Nemo\finding Dory themed area for kids in swim diapers. It’s small but has glass panels surrounding it so keeps wind out and stays nice and warm in there. The water is only ankle deep and there are lots of bubblers and Dory characters amongst other fish characters in there. My son had a good time and we spent a lot of time there. They were very strict about not letting him over into the splash play area even though he would never be submerged in the water there is still no swim diapers in that area and of course no swim diapers in any of the pools. We did utilize the small world nursery on the ship. The people there were very friendly and my son liked it the first day but not the second day. The only reason he didn’t like it is because he knew we would be leaving. He was only there for about an hour and a half each time but they have lots of activities for the kids. Disney movies playing, bubble machine blowing bubbles, books to read, lots of toys and pretend play activities. My son doesn’t go to daycare or preschool yet so he’s not really used to being in that kind of environment, which is why I think he had a hard time with us leaving the second time. Overall, we were very pleased with Disney cruise line. Very friendly and wonderful service and the food was great. My only negative, was in the main dining room there wasn’t a whole lot of activity to engage a two-year-old or keep a toddler interested throughout the course of dinner. Dinner became a battle for my husband and I to hurry up and eat before my son would have a meltdown after being busy and running around all day. I wish there was more Disney entertainment during dinner to help keep kids entertained and preoccupied and interested so that parents could eat. We have not been on Royal Caribbean to compare, however, Carnival has a great kids program 2 and over that is included and not extra. We did have to pay extra for the kids club for my son on Disney. Disney is expensive, however, we did feel like we got good value for our money.

Personally, I would not let having an accessible splash pad be a make or break thing for me. Even though my son was potty trained at 2 when we first cruised with him, we spent almost no time in the area. He absolutely LOVED going to camp (Carnival) and spent 9-12 there every sea day morning and 7-10 pm every night. Afternoons we had lunch and gave him a choice of camp (he would look at activities), pool, putt-putt etc, and he often chose camp or putt-putt. We were back in the room no later than 4 pm every day for a nap til 530, then shower and off to dinner at 6 pm. Keeping routine makes travel MUCH easier.

He got plenty of water time on our shore excursions. So in the scheme of things it was MUCH more important to have a balanced vacation where he got tons of kid time to play while we had relaxing adult time as well as plenty of family time on our shore days.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took dd to the caribbean last spring while stil in diapers. As we travelled aboard MSC she was not allowed in the pools. We knew this beforehand and told her so. No biggie.

In all the ports we made sure she got to enjoy the beach or pools, we took her to a beach in Jamaica, to a water park in Cozumel, to Stingray Sandbar in Grand Cayman, only Nassau was a water free day as we went to the Aquarium at Atlantis.

There was so much to see and do, that she was never sad for not being able to use the pool onboard.

If no splash-area seems to be a deal breaker, bring a tiny blowup tub which you can fill from the pool, however, be sure to empty it in a drain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We took our 2-year-old (one week away from being 3) on RC Harmony of the Seas. He enjoyed playing in Splashaway Bay, mini golf, riding the carousel, climbing in Luckey Climber on the Boardwalk, receiving balloon animals, face painting, watching the ice, aqua, and broadway shows, and meeting the Dreamworks characters (I hear these are going away next Spring). We were going to use the nursery since he wasn't quite 3, but it looked very babyish and thought he would be bored spending time there. This is one reason why I wish we would have done a Carnival ship since the Kids Club takes 2-year-olds regardless of potty training status free of charge during normal hours. However, our son had a great time on Harmony of Seas and we, as the parents, did as well, since we were able to ride down waterslides, ride the dry slide, play mini golf, watch shows, and climb the rock wall. Hope this helps. Any questions, please ask. 

20 hours ago, icedancer43 said:

We took our 2-year-old (one week away from being 3) on RC Harmony of the Seas. He enjoyed playing in Splashaway Bay, mini golf, riding the carousel, climbing in Luckey Climber on the Boardwalk, receiving balloon animals, face painting, watching the ice, aqua, and broadway shows, and meeting the Dreamworks characters (I hear these are going away next Spring). We were going to use the nursery since he wasn't quite 3, but it looked very babyish and thought he would be bored spending time there. This is one reason why I wish we would have done a Carnival ship since the Kids Club takes 2-year-olds regardless of potty training status free of charge during normal hours. However, our son had a great time on Harmony of Seas and we, as the parents, did as well, since we were able to ride down waterslides, ride the dry slide, play mini golf, watch shows, and climb the rock wall. Hope this helps. Any questions, please ask. 

We are cruising with my DD, S-I-L, 3 y/o grandson and 14 m/o granddaughter in 6 weeks. We will be on the Escape, which does have a nursery. We are going to introduce the 3 y/o to the kids club and see how he does (he has been in daycare, but no longer, as now she is a stay at home mom) We also will utilize the nursery a little, but not that much. Hubby and I are giving them 4 "date nights" where the children will sleep in our cabin. We did connecting minis, just to have a little extra room. When my kids were little they never would go to the kids club, so this will be a new experience for all.

Bring a blow up TUB...not a pool!  It will fit in the shower (they are small)...and can be used for "splashing" on the pool deck, if you want to take the child there.  A couple ice buckets full of water will be enough to "splash" in.  Empty in a floor or shower drain...NOT onto the deck or into a pool.

I would imagine by age 3, the child will quite enjoy the club....it's the "terrible 2's" that usually  get "separation anxiety".....it's usually gone by age 3.

I was a "stay at home" Mom when my kids were little...my daughter couldn't WAIT to go to school, so once in a while, I'd drop her at a daycare for a couple hours...she swore she had gone to school, like her big brother!  Win-win for all!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Bring a blow up TUB...not a pool!  It will fit in the shower (they are small)...and can be used for "splashing" on the pool deck, if you want to take the child there.  A couple ice buckets full of water will be enough to "splash" in.  Empty in a floor or shower drain...NOT onto the deck or into a pool.

I would imagine by age 3, the child will quite enjoy the club....it's the "terrible 2's" that usually  get "separation anxiety".....it's usually gone by age 3.

I was a "stay at home" Mom when my kids were little...my daughter couldn't WAIT to go to school, so once in a while, I'd drop her at a daycare for a couple hours...she swore she had gone to school, like her big brother!  Win-win for all!

Thanks for the suggestions. I told my DD to bring a blow up tub, as I read read it before on these posts. Although we have connecting minis, we don't have the tubs (they only come in family minis) and we are sailing with a big group, who didn't want to be in the family area, lol.

• Like 1

On December 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM, cb at sea said:

Well, good for YOUR daughter.  As a former pre-school teacher (23 years) of 3-yr.-olds, I can say that for a good number of children that age, the separation anxiety is  NOT GONE.  You seem to be an expert on the behavioral propensities of children of all ages...how did you become such an expert?  The OP's child may well do fine at the kids' club, but then again he/she may not.  The fact that the child is 3 yrs old  really has nothing to do with it.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 6:04 PM, cb at sea said:

Do you happen to know what dimensions the shower is --what size blow up tub will fit?  Thank you for this great idea - traveling with 20 month old grandson in March on Allure of the Seas!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it comes down to knowing the kids involved!

My daughter was 2.5 on her first cruise, she was day time potty trained so could go in the pool and we were on Carnival so she went to the Kid's Club and both of those were really important for her - she's highly social and active. Kids who are more introverted may not like the kid's club as much, kids who don't need to have as much gross motor may not be as interested in the pool. 

Whatever you decide, you're going to have a great time! I love cruising with my little one and I'm trying to convince her grandparents to come with us some time. Remember that you don't have to do everything, and just focus on doing what is fun for you at that point. We've had some great times staying on the ship on a port day and getting dance floors to ourselves, ordering Shirley Temples and making friends with bartenders. Kids are happy, ships are fun.

We just went on Allure and my 2 year olds (twins) had tons of fun. There is a communal play area that has kitchens, push scooters and oodles of other toys that they can play with. It's an area where you stay and watch them play - it's free and opens fairly early and stays open until late. The Royal Babies and Tots was actually pretty good. The ladies in there were fantastic and the boys really loved them. They do a lot of play time with the ladies, they bring out age appropriate toys, watch movies, have their meals and take naps. There is a cost of $6 day/$8 night per hour per child that goes on your card. The boys are used to playing with other children and being in daycare, so they had no problems adjusting and having fun. The splash pad is great! They loved loved loved it and that is an area that they can go if they are still in diapers. They cannot go into the pools. There is a "lazy river" type of pool about the size of a super large hot tub that you can hold your kiddo and bounce around in. They really loved running around the putt putt course, in the park, the atrium area and other areas of the ship. The ice show was a hit and the carousel ride was a lot of fun for them as well. They had plenty of food options with the buffet, dining room, hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza and other places that we could pick up some food quickly. I would say to definitely do an Oasis class ship with a 2 year old. Let me know if you have any questions on Royal Babies & Tots. 

Our next cruise is on Serenade, so not as many things for them to do like the carousel and such. However, they will be 3 by then and we are actively working on potty training so they can participate in the kids club.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, cruisinwithtwins said:

Let me know if you have any questions on Royal Babies & Tots. 

Did you leave them in for lunch, we are hoping to leave 22 month old in nursery for an excursion. Did you have to bring food and drinks?

On 3/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, cruisinwithtwins said:

Thanks! We were on in November. The next cruise they will be over 3 so we will be using AO. 

Yes,  I'll be on in a week with a 22 month old,  I was asking to know if I would need to supply lunch if I leave her in the nursery on a port day. Did you use the nursery during lunch time, if so, did you have to bring lunch?

Yes they do! They also give dinner as well. However, it’s pretty basic with chicken fingers and macaroni with cheese. We took packages snacks and fruit (bananas) and they have those to them as well. They do provide milk and we took their water bottles. When you register them they ask you about what they can eat and allergies. 

• 11 months later...

I have to circle back here to report on our March, 2019 cruise on the Allure of the Seas with our (at the time)almost 2 year old grandson.  The Allure gets an A+ for all of the amazing support they provide families traveling with toddlers. A pack-and-play was set up (and moved between my daughter and son-in-law's cabin and ours whenever we requested) with plenty of extra sheets/cushioning.  We did purchase and bring a blow-up bathtub to use in the shower which fit and worked great!  Soooo many fun things for him to do and explore on the ship. He loved the slides  and climbing areas hidden off the side of the boardwalk area, the carousel, the mini-golf, and he really loved the Royal Babies and area that we could take him to play with him.  We had early dining and a high chair was always waiting for him - as well as a bowl of melon balls or other fruit when we sat down so he would be happy until the things we ordered arrived.  It was a really great experience. I especially enjoyed seeing the whole cruise experience through his eyes!  

• Like 2