cnjoy26

Question about St. John

Booking the St. John “on your own” excursion. I want to go to trunk bay. How long does it take to go to trunk bay from st Cruz? Is I / taxi? Are the taxis readily available? Thanks much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this a few years ago.  Bus to Red Hook, boat to St John. taxi to Trunk Bay. It probably took an hour each way.  It was easy and beautiful.  I loved.  We are going again and February and we will do the same thing.  We snorkeled at Trunk Bay.  Easily the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.

8 hours ago, slanik said:

We did this a few years ago.  Bus to Red Hook, boat to St John. taxi to Trunk Bay. It probably took an hour each way.  It was easy and beautiful.  I loved.  We are going again and February and we will do the same thing.  We snorkeled at Trunk Bay.  Easily the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.

Are there any facilities at Trunk Bay? Such as rest rooms, changing rooms, restaurants, food vendors, chair rental?

Yes, there are changing rooms, food, drinks etc.  I think they have snorkel equipment rentals too.

2 hours ago, slanik said:

Yes, there are changing rooms, food, drinks etc.  I think they have snorkel equipment rentals too.

Not sure there is food and drinks since the hurricane.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:23 AM, slanik said:

Considering this option. Can you give me an idea of cost for the transport? Did you arrange in advance?  Do you remember how expensive the snorkeling was (equipment)?

24 minutes ago, GMRPHRN said:

Considering this option. Can you give me an idea of cost for the transport? Did you arrange in advance?  Do you remember how expensive the snorkeling was (equipment)?

I have a friend who was just there in August. Here's how he describes getting to Trunk Bay, and his experience there:

August 20 – St Thomas

We went to Trunk bay... and absolutely loved it. Trunk bay is highly rated (rated as the #1 beach in the Caribbean on some lists). We did not go the way most do. Most are doing it all wrong (paying way too much money for a greatly reduced duration because a perceived safety factor).

We were the 1st off the ship. People sleep in on this cruise. We took a taxi which was waiting for cruisers very near the ship. Tell the dispatcher (who will be waiting very near the ship pier) that you want to go to the Red Hook Ferry. It cost $20 for the 2 of us per direction to and from Red Hook Ferry. We easily made the 1st ferry scheduled (8:00 AM). Once at the ferry terminal, buy round trip tickets to Cruz Bay and back to Red Hook. The ferry cost $32.60 total for the 2 of us for round trip tickets. The ferry took about 15 minutes. At Cruise Bay, open air safari buses were lined up and ready. We took the 1st bus at $6 per person. We had the bus to ourselves. Sit on the left side of the bus for the best views. The bus will stop at a couple of viewpoints. We arrived at Trunk bay alone at before 8:30 AM. We had the beach to ourselves for some time. We saw many fish (including a few types of Parrotfish). The entrance fee is $4 per person. We did not see anyone to pay. There are showers and changing areas. The best snorkeling is between the 2 large buoys near the island on the right of the beach. If you swim beyond the furthest buoy, beware of the strong current that will pull you out past the island. It is not so strong that you cannot navigate it. Just be aware of it. We swam until 12:45 PM. We headed back around 1 PM to afford buffers in case there were any issues with transportation. There were none. The ferry is very reliable, and the buses and taxis are numerous.

There is no chance we would do this any differently when we return some day. Trunk Bay is incredible... and it is a complete waste of money to visit it any other way than what I described above... in my humble opinion which is often flawed.

Thanks so much to you and to your friend for these details. It really helps.

If you have a National Parks pass, take it. You get free admission to Trunk with that.

Thanks for the Nat'l Park info...I would not have thought of that!