Lost bag in Port Of Miami

Extra Kim

In my 20, 000 + posts, I try to share useful info on the gen issue presented and respect posts in good faith made by fellow CC community members, just as I will respect your post.

Point of it all is that there are things that go wrong during embark and disembark process...even if steps are taken to minimize misfortune.

Cruise line should respond promptly to claims!

Our bag got lost on the day we EMBARKED the ship.

Guest relations on Equinox asked if I was sure that I had the bag with me from Sweden... She lied about several things, was rude and told me how little our missing bag would affect us.. :rolleyes:

Just curious if you tipped the porter who took your luggage? Not starting a tipping discussion here but I always wonder if I forget to tip them (in the US), will my bags end up under the ship instead of on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Just curious if you tipped the porter who took your luggage? Not starting a tipping discussion here but I always wonder if I forget to tip them (in the US), will my bags end up under the ship instead of on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

not really. the person who takes your bag only has your bag for about 10 seconds, they put it in a cart, that someone else rolls away to another location, where someone else puts it into a bin, where another person fork lifts it onto the ship. if one has any concerns about the individual that takes your bag just watch them until they put it on the cart.

not really. the person who takes your bag only has your bag for about 10 seconds, they put it in a cart, that someone else rolls away to another location, where someone else puts it into a bin, where another person fork lifts it onto the ship. if one has any concerns about the individual that takes your bag just watch them until they put it on the cart.

Perhaps you should reconsider tipping. You think they are done with your bag after they put it on a cart. If you don't tip they put your bag on a special cart for special handling.

If that does not work or has not worked at this point it would be registered letter to the executive office in Miami.

Send a Certified Letter, not a Registered Letter. Registered mail is only for packages containing insurable property. Certified Mail is for when you need proof that the letter was received.

Our bag went missing when we disembarked in Amsterdam after a Celebrity B2B. . We had a ship's tour booked as we were staying overnight in Amsterdam before catching our flight home the next day.. Since we had the same thing happen before many years ago and lost our tour, I specifically had asked would they be sure that the suitcase would be there when we disembarked. They told me they had special tags for those of us that were taking tours so ours would be the first off in a special color section.. When it wasn't there, and having had that problem before, we asked if we could have the tour price refunded to us while we wanted around for them to locate it. We had already held up the tour 1/2 an hour hunting for it. No. They assured us they would find it and deliver it to our hotel. Stupid us, believed them rather than lose nearly $200 or more paid for the tour..

It was not at the hotel but we were fortunate that the hotel personnel really went above and beyond and we had time to chase it. Celebrity completely ignored us. Eventually, we/the hotel was directed to the port lost and found as a last resort. The fellow that answered the phone said he would have to go look in the warehouse and get back to us.. Sure, I figured he would take his dinner break, call back and say he looked and looked, it was not there. Wrong! He located it and arranged to have it sent to our hotel for no charge.

Two special embarkation tags were still attached to it so it wasn't a matter they got ripped off. Personal ID tags were on it in at least two places. Inside the unlocked bag, on top, was a complete itinerary of our trip including the hotel we were staying at and the phone number. So it would have been minimal effort to reunite us with the suitcase.

Basically, once you are off the ship, you are toast, history. Secondly, how do you prove that you ever gave them the bag (put it out the night before) to start with? We now tote our own bag off unless we can use EX baggage check which is not available on all the ships or airlines.

No we did not. Your plan was to do so, but when we got off the bus the porters told us, in a not so kind way, to leave the bags on the bus and move away from the parking area. We started walking and realised that we needed our stroller. Went back to the bus and the driver opened up the bagage compartment got the stroller and then the driver told us to leave the bags and go.

We normaly do tip, but since the porters from a distance told us to move away from the bus there wasn't an option to do so.

We never relax til all luggage is in our stateroom and we always walk off unless we want to take a chance with luggage valet...they are pretty good...so far!

I'm glad you've had good luck with luggage valet. The only time we have lost luggage it was when we bought this service. The thing is, we saw our bags being loaded into the valet box truck... so it wasn't X who lost them. It had to have happened at the airport(s). We lost TWO bags that day and never saw them again. Since we had checked in onboard and paid the checked luggage fees we could file a claim with the airline. Payment was prompt once we filed. For the items I didn't have a receipt for (99%) I included a printout with price and picture of the item or a similar item. It worked. We both got the maximum allowed compensation.

No we did not. Your plan was to do so, but when we got off the bus the porters told us, in a not so kind way, to leave the bags on the bus and move away from the parking area. We started walking and realised that we needed our stroller. Went back to the bus and the driver opened up the bagage compartment got the stroller and then the driver told us to leave the bags and go.

We normaly do tip, but since the porters from a distance told us to move away from the bus there wasn't an option to do so.

Whenever we must put luggage on a bus, I make dh get off to watch it go in the compartment....same drill when other bags are removed. I make him watch to make sure it is not ours.. He gets annoyed but mistakes happen all the time.

Sorry for your trouble...keep pushing X

In response #5 of this thread the OP clarifies that his bag was lost on embarkation, that's what he is seeking input regarding. Replies then went off into stories of airports and advice about disembarkation, none of which related to the reason for this thread. If that's not "goof ball" posting to you then we have different understandings of the usefulness of these threads.

Sometimes people will respond to the original post, and not read through the entire thread. As sometimes threads go on for pages and pages, I see nothing wrong with this. In the original post, the OP did not state when the lost baggage occurred. Therefore I would hardly call people responding with posts about disembarkation "goof balls". In fact, it is against Cruise Critic guidelines to be calling people names or giving groups of people insulting names.

Sometimes people will respond to the original post, and not read through the entire thread. As sometimes threads go on for pages and pages, I see nothing wrong with this. In the original post, the OP did not state when the lost baggage occurred. Therefore I would hardly call people responding with posts about disembarkation "goof balls". In fact, it is against Cruise Critic guidelines to be calling people names or giving groups of people insulting names.

Thank you ever so much for the caution. I referred to postings, not to people...and i think, thus far, postings are immune from feeling hurt or insulted. Therefore your accusation of me is both unwarranted and amusing.

I am fully cognizant that you see nothing wrong with the practice of straying off topic, and you certainly aren't alone. Being raise as I was, I find it rather rude to post not only unrequested advice, but advice that shows no awareness of the theme of a thread initiator's concerns.

Thus when I see an OP who has suffered at the hands of such commentary I shall continue to offer my support for them, as was the case in this matter.

happy sailing.

Sometimes people will respond to the original post, and not read through the entire thread. As sometimes threads go on for pages and pages, I see nothing wrong with this. In the original post, the OP did not state when the lost baggage occurred.

I was always taught that not reading the previous responses was bad message board etiquette. The OP subsequently clarified when the bag was lost and did so within the first four posts of the thread. Anyone who read the first page could see for themselves if they weren't so impatient to chime in with a completely off-topic post.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Compensation for the bag and a discount on our next cruise with Celebrity, Royal or Azamara as a compensation for how Guest Relations treated us onboard.

Sounds okay..Im sure you would rather have had the bag....and less of a hassle but at least it is over ...

Thanks Phoenix_Dream for saying that about early flights.  BA backed our flight on disembarkation morning in Barcelona next month from 10:55am to 10:05am.  That 50 minutes is a big difference that early and we are definitely walking off but we do feel worried about a time crunch.

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sounds okay..Im sure you would rather have had the bag....and less of a hassle but at least it is over ...

It turned out okey, but I would rather have had our bag and a nice cruise (and our days in Florida Keys after the cruise). 

I learned some things:

Always pack 50% of my stuff in my bag and 50% in my wifes bag. Did 30/70 this time.

Always take pictures of the stuff in the bags.

Take pictures of the bags a long the way.

I recommend putting a few colored strips on the handle of the suitcase to identify it as unique, and if someone takes it is no longer an unintentional mistake is a robbery.  I always do that a pair of strips different colors and never missed a bag.

11 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Compensation for the bag and a discount on our next cruise with Celebrity, Royal or Azamara as a compensation for how Guest Relations treated us onboard.

6 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Thanks for the update! Was it resolved by finding the bag? Or via financial compensation?

10 hours ago, gerelmx said:

I recommend putting a few colored strips on the handle of the suitcase to identify it as unique, and if someone takes it is no longer an unintentional mistake is a robbery.  I always do that a pair of strips different colors and never missed a bag.

We had a pink strap with the name "Resia" in white around the bag.

You won't find the strap in the US since it's a Swedish TA. The bag wasn't taken by mistake..