Why travel solo?

Quilcruisers

On 10/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, Quilcruisers said:

Why do some of you travel solo? If you are married, does your spouse support it? Why do they not go? My spouse does not seem to enjoy cruising like I do, so I am looking at going solo. What do you all do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My dear hubby just doesn't enjoy cruising.  I cruise with my sisters about once a year.  If they stop, I might consider cruising solo.  I'm pretty much do a lot alone on the cruise anyway.  We always split up and meet up at night anyway. I can't sit in the sun all day, I have to mix it up.  

I'm an extroverted introvert. So I love cruising solo because I'm in control of how much social time I have. There's always someone to chat with if I want to, and there's always somewhere to sit quietly and read, craft, or just watch the ocean go by.

I've traveled with too many people who wanted to be together every moment with their travel companion. For me, solo travel is much preferred to that kind of trip because it allows me to recharge my introverted side.

• Like 5

On 10/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, calliopecruiser said:

Why not travel solo?   Better to travel solo than to stay home solo.

And this is it 🙂

Before I did my first cruise, I did a couple solo trips to NYC. My first cruise was with my sister - a 7 night sailing on Liberty. By the 3rd day, I was tired of going everywhere with her so we switched it up. In port, we left the ship together, but when we got back, she'd do her own thing and I'd do mines until dinner. If it was a sea day, breakfast together but then we'd enjoy the day our own way until dinner. She still talks about it to this day but I don't care - I live alone and need my space. I'm doing my first solo TA in just under 3 weeks and I can't wait for all the free time I'll have. I'm participating in a lot of events with my roll call but there will be plenty of alone time. I'm bringing 4 books with me so plenty of time to read and reset!

Edited by Virtopia
  • Like 1

I am going on my first solo cruise in 3 weeks and am so happy to read all your stories - you've made me feel less anxious. I usually vacation with my husband and/or friends, however, he can't get time off work and I really need a break. I'm looking forward to doing what I want, when I want. Actually taking a solo vacation has been something I've always wanted to do so now's as good a time as ever. I have gotten some "tsk tsk" & "why" responses when telling people I'm going, but as someone mentioned, that's their problem not mine. I think they feel as if I have no one or am lonely but that's not the case at all, I want to enjoy, have fun, meet people and relax. I'm a bit if an extrovert introvert myself, can be outgoing & talk to anyone, but like my alone time. Thanks for all your stories, you've made me more excited, if possible, for my trip and more positive I'm doing the right thing.

• Like 4

Solo travel whether cruising or otherwise has mostly been my norm.  As an only child I have been always comfortable with my own company.  Did 2 cruises with my late husband, and he was not a happy traveler.  Traveling with friends and family I’ve learned that people are either a journey person or a destination person.  Destination people are not good travelers, they just want to be there, but a journey person enjoys the whole experience.  (Sure there are moments that can be tedious in lines, but that’s still an option for people watching). No spouse or children to travel with and why stay home?

In the past 4 years I’ve been on 3 Caribbean cruises solo, and one Viking River cruise with friends, they were in their own cabin.  I have found people to chat with, but am happy to do my own thing.  I take a book, have my tablet, and enjoy my balcony.  

Because I have a tracheotomy people are surprised that i travel alone, but I have all the equipment and supplies I need with me.  I know my limitations and abilities and will not put myself, consciously, in a position to ruin my holiday and that of the group I’m with because I need to be rescued.  

Solo travel makes for meeting new people, seeing new places and creating memories.

• Like 2

My late husband and I did a lot of cruising and I decided there was no reason to "give up" cruising even if it meant going solo. While my husband and I enjoyed many ship board activities together, we usually spent some time each day in separate activities so I was fortunate to have met along the way, and chatted with over a coffee or tea, many women cruising alone. Those experiences were instrumental to the ease I felt when I took my first cruise alone. I am now retired and do quite a few cruises a year. I usually take 1 or 2 a year with a life long friend who is now widowed. We usually share a cabin which seems to work fine on a one week cruise, it gives us time to sit on the balcony and visit, catch up on each other's families, share photos of grand children, etc. I also cruise with my grown children and grand children once or twice a year, and the grand children "rotate" sleeping in my cabin which is an excellent way to give each individual attention. We also have "sleep overs" in my cabin and for these I try to bring a variety of small surprises. And...… the rest of my cruises each year are solo. To me, cruising solo allows me to socialize as much as I want, meet new friends (often who live near and we end up getting together on land), and yet be absolutely stress free as I have the freedom to do as I please without having to consult with anyone. I have booked spa rooms on these solo cruises, as well as rear (stern) facing balconies to just relax and catch up on reading minus the wind on port or starboard balconies. I have also gone with groups from my community and book a solo cabin. This, to me, is also ideal. I have know women who agreed to share a cabin with another woman from a group they belong to but are not necessarily best friends. Fortunately I have not done this, but I have listened to many reports of people who paid for a cruise vacation and then found their "room mate", perhaps even a neighbor at home, expected to do everything together as if they were some type of "dating couple". One friend of mine did this, ended up feeling cheated of her vacation, and the neighbor was never the same because she felt my friend "just left me as if I was not even on the cruise with her" !  Yes, I LOVE solo cruising, I love going with friends, with family, with groups I belong to, but most of all, I enjoy having my own cabin, my own space, and my own hotel room on land trips. I am a very sociable person, but living with anyone (except a grand child) in a small space is not a vacation to me. Land condo, fine, I can and have done that.   

• Like 3

I'm taking my first solo cruise next April and can't wait...if it wasn't for a new grandson arriving in November I may have left earlier. I have one BFF that I travel with a lot but I want, and need, a chance to focus on me after my Mom's passing a couple of months ago. My BFF and I are both comfortable to go off and do things on our own during our travels, we don't feel the need to spend every waking moment together, but she refuses to cruise and I really want some warm water and beaches. I too have done the trip where I shared a room with someone I casually knew and that was a complete failure as they wanted to do everything together. 

My thought is that a cruise is a perfect way to branch out into solo vacations. I can be as social as I want or decide to find a nice quiet area of the ship to just read my books or nap. The opportunity to explore is also there once I hit port and go out on a tour, again not alone but can decide to keep to myself if I'm so inclined. I'm optimistic that I'll love it and will be doing more of this in the future. 

• Like 1

I've been living solo and travelling solo since my mid teens. Never wanted to live my life according to other people's needs or desires, or wait around for them to make decisions, or compromise my own choices to have to do something they want to do. 

Never been lonely ! 

Thru all my world travels I have met many solos who have a partner at home. They simply have different interests to each other so travel solo according to their own needs.

One lady I have met on several of my Antarctica expeditions does the Arctic and Antarctic solo every year. Her hubby is not remotely interested in cold weather travel or major exertion. He prefers big cruise ships with all day bridge tournaments. Which would send my friend batty. They have been married for 50 or so years and have never been on the same holiday together !

My mother does ten week hiking trips thru Burma or Cambodia etc as a solo. Her hubby is disabled since his teens so she will do a cruise with him each year because it suits his mobility.

The marriage contract doesn't state "must be joined at the hip for life" !!! People still have their own life to achieve. 

• Like 5

On 10/20/2018 at 11:00 AM, caligirl1960 said:

My thought is that a cruise is a perfect way to branch out into solo vacations.

I agree.......a cruise is a good first solo venture, because there's so much that's taken care of for you and a very limited geography on the ship that you're unlikely to get lost and need to find your way back to your hotel, LOL.

• Like 1

I'm single (divorced a LONG time ago), and I did a lot of solo business travel, including several international trips, before I retired in 2003.  I had also done a significant amount of solo vacation travel -- road trips, RV camping, and a couple of "packaged" tours in Ireland.  So after retirement, traveling solo was just natural.

I took my first cruise in September 2017 and was immediately hooked.  I've done two more since then (38 days and 28 days), and I have 5 more booked, including a 131-day World Cruise in 2020.  I'm perfectly happy traveling alone as I can set my own schedule, socialize (or not) when the mood strikes, visit incredible places, meet lots of interesting people, and indulge in amazing food, wine, and entertainment.  Even if I had single friends who liked to cruise, I'd still book a cabin by myself.  I need my "quiet time," and traveling solo makes that easier.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 4

I'm new to the Solo Forum, as my dh announced after our past cruise in Sept. that he doesn't want to travel/cruise anymore. I'm not ready to give up cruising. I had a little taste of being alone on this past cruise when he decided not to do 2 of the planned tours. I went alone. I just read a comment on here that hit how I feel right on the head! I hate to have to babysit anyone on vacation! I wouldn't ask anyone else to come along, especially someone who has never cruised! Even when travelling with my husband, I enjoy walking around the ship on my own. I even worried about him having a good time or if his meal was good. It would be nice to just worry about myself. I'm alone all day at home and I kind of like my company!

What I wouldn't be good at, is going out in a foreign city without an organized tour. I have no sense of direction and could easily get lost in my hometown! That's my big concern!

9 hours ago, karinad said:

What I wouldn't be good at, is going out in a foreign city without an organized tour. I have no sense of direction and could easily get lost in my hometown! That's my big concern!

Lol. I'm directionally challenged. Two left turns in a shopping mall and I'm lost. But that's the fun of travelling. I give directions to tourists every day in my own city so I have no shame in heading over to a stranger in their city and asking for help. 

Plus these days it's much easier with maps stored on my phone etc and translation aps. I also photograph landmarks and street signs as I go - so I can use them to back track or to show someone to then be pointed in the right direction. Back when I was travelling solo as a teen in the 80s it was a vague paper map and a whole lot of interpretive sign language !! Technology in my pocket has made travel so much easier. Tho there are still some maps that I will never make sense of !!!!

Ha! I have read all of your posts with glee! l love, love, love, love, love traveling solo.  My room is mine. My shower is mine. My damn mini-bar is MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE!  LOL.

My reason for traveling solo is a little different than the rest. For the last 13 years, I have owned and run a business with my husband. It takes a tremendous amount of compromise, communication, and patience to keep it going on the daily.

Many moons ago, we decided to take three nice trips a year. We each go on a "solo" adventure and then we take a nice trip together. It keeps us sane! As you can imagine when you are with your spouse or significant other for 24/7, it's nice to go "solo" and be 100% selfish once in a while. I don't even have to talk to anyone if I don't want to. No email. No clients. No dog walking. No cooking. It is the hassle-free vacation.

And, I'm a much better partner after I've had my annual trip at sea!

My mantra is "Everything possible. Nothing required!"  when traveling solo.

Looking forward to my next solo embarkation onto the Celebrity Silhouette coming up at the end of November.  🛳️

For those of you who are on the fence, what do you have to lose? 

Diane

• Like 6

On 10/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, k.davis817 said:

Personally, I travel solo because I've found I do better with my own cabin on my own schedule. But then, I've been traveling solo since the late 80s and I'm not married. I do have a coworker who enjoys cruising but her significant other doesn't like being "confined" by a cruise. They've worked out a great deal: she cruises alone together with me (separate cabins with the understanding we do our own thing at times but generally do excursions and dinner together), and he goes hunting. Works well for them, and for me!

This is a great post! My husband does enjoy hunting and I like to go with him. I have been thinking more and more about sending him there and I go where I want which is cruising. I have already planned 1 cruise next year with just my son and I. I am waiting until after November to book the next 2 for 2019. He said he wants to go, so I will probably book the summer cruise with him and the next one for Thanksgiving 2019 without and he can go hunting. 

When hubby was living he took one with me. He just didn’t like to travel, from too many years on the road for work. I did travel with family, and still occasionally do, however at our ages a bit harder to plan and pull off. Have traveled with a few friends, and that can be fun.

However I enjoy solo the most! It’s a bit gready, but it’s total freedom! I do what I want, when I want with no worrying about anyone else. I to get up at 3 am and watch a movie, no problem. Don’t feel like eating dinner, who cares. Long shower, no worries someone else needs the bathroom. Extra drawer space in the cabin. No worry about how many power outlets to charge batteries..... Yes the list is long. 😁

I have taken 7 out of 10 of my children, their spouses and their children with me on cruises in the last 2 years.  Just after Thanksgiving I will take my first solo cruise.  It will be so nice to not trip over other peoples luggage.  Some people simply will not put their luggage up no matter what hints or overcrowding results.

I still have 2 grandchildren and one DIL to go.  I'll power through.  Still the good very grealy outweighs the bad but I am definitely looking forward to a solo.

• Like 1

I'm doing another solo cruise next month. My 3rd within 1 year. I love it.

If I want company, I find it. If I want to lay in bed and watch tv for 3 days straight I can (I usually sit on the balcony a lot). My friends always want to do stuff and I just go along with it so they don't go alone. Not when I travel solo! I don't shop or walk around aimlessly looking for seats for someone else. I plop down someplace and when I'm ready to go I just go.

And the staff does treat you better. I don' know if they feel sorry for you or think you are brave. I don't care what anyone thinks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, go.without.you said:

I'm doing another solo cruise next month. My 3rd within 1 year. I love it.

If I want company, I find it. If I want to lay in bed and watch tv for 3 days straight I can (I usually sit on the balcony a lot). My friends always want to do stuff and I just go along with it so they don't go alone. Not when I travel solo! I don't shop or walk around aimlessly looking for seats for someone else. I plop down someplace and when I'm ready to go I just go.

And the staff does treat you better. I don' know if they feel sorry for you or think you are brave. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Love your post:classic_biggrin:...….I have been sailing solo since 2003. I am researching my next one for the spring......I have probably been on close to 50 cruises (and shared a cabin maybe 3 times)……..I just value my own space too much to give it up anymore.

• Like 1

I cruise and travel solo because I enjoy visiting new places and different cultures.  I’m a bit of an introvert and usually keep to myself and not talk to anyone but I’m active when I travel/cruise and will either go scuba diving, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, etc.  

I am married and have cruised solo.  I get alot of grief from family and coworkers for doing this.  Apparently it's weird and unnatural.  My husband does not fly nor does he cruise.  His idea of the perfect vacation is to go to the same beach town about an hour's drive from us that he has been going to since he was a child. I did that for 10 years and then I put my foot down and said I had to do something different.  Booked the kids and I on a cruise we all loved it.  Since then I have travelled and cruised a fair bit.  Sometimes with the kids and sometimes with other family members and sometimes solo.  I work full-time so I pay my own way.  My husband completely understands.  I just wish everyone else would understand.  I am not a party animal.  I go onboard to relax and see new places.  I trust my husband and he trusts me.    I just keep my cruising solo plans to myself as much as I can due to the negative feedback I get.  But once I board I have a lovely relaxing time.  I am quite happy with my own company.  Happy to dine alone but other cruisers are always friendly so I never feel lonely onboard or during port days.  Cruising solo suits me and I plan to continue to cruise solo whenever I don't have  family members available to join me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I am married and have cruised solo.  I get alot of grief from family and coworkers for doing this.  Apparently it's weird and unnatural.  My husband does not fly nor does he cruise.  His idea of the perfect vacation is to go to the same beach town about an hour's drive from us that he has been going to since he was a child. I did that for 10 years and then I put my foot down and said I had to do something different.  Booked the kids and I on a cruise we all loved it.  Since then I have travelled and cruised a fair bit.  Sometimes with the kids and sometimes with other family members and sometimes solo.  I work full-time so I pay my own way.  My husband completely understands.  I just wish everyone else would understand.  I am not a party animal.  I go onboard to relax and see new places.  I trust my husband and he trusts me.    I just keep my cruising solo plans to myself as much as I can due to the negative feedback I get.  But once I board I have a lovely relaxing time.  I am quite happy with my own company.  Happy to dine alone but other cruisers are always friendly so I never feel lonely onboard or during port days.  Cruising solo suits me and I plan to continue to cruise solo whenever I don't have  family members available to join me.

I love this !! its sad how people are judgmental. I think it is really selfless to be able to "release" your spouse from doing things they dont really want to do. I am still struggling with releasing him because I think he does enjoy a lot of these things, he just does not know how to let his hair down and enjoy himself. He is also an all or nothing type of person, so he either feels like he has to go on every trip or none at all. I would be perfectly fine if he just wanted to do cruises every other cruise or every other year. If he would just say this it would make things easier, instead of pouting about it. He just wont be honest about what he really wants. But, when we cruise at the end of the month, he is going hunting a couple of days.

• Like 2