Sapphire Beach - facilities?

MalteseMama2

I know your question has been answered, but at Sapphire, no need for umbrellas. There are plenty of trees that offer shade and when we've rented loungers, they asked where we wanted them and we chose under one of the trees. No official excursion needed, we just took a taxi there both times.

Here's a pic for a visual. I loved this view (reason I took pic) but "our" tree was to the right of this one, so no umbrella needed.

enhance

• Like 3

I know your question has been answered, but at Sapphire, no need for umbrellas. There are plenty of trees that offer shade and when we've rented loungers, they asked where we wanted them and we chose under one of the trees. No official excursion needed, we just took a taxi there both times.

Here's a pic for a visual. I loved this view (reason I took pic) but "our" tree was to the right of this one, so no umbrella needed.

enhance

Thanks! That makes a BIG difference to us. We were thinking we might need to choose a different beach because I need to have shade. We will use a taxi, also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

enhance

Thank you, when was this taken? Since the hurricane?

To answer about the shade trees, it was before last year's hurricane that we were there last and the picture that I posted was taken in Sept. 2015. I knew that Sapphire Beach took a major hit in last year's hurricane, so before posting a response, I "consulted" the internet for videos to see if any of the trees were still there. Although it's obvious that many of the trees were heavily damaged or no longer there, the larger trees that we used are still standing. If you're on Sapphire Beach facing the water, the trees we used were over to the left. We were past the building/restrooms. There were more condo buildings behind that area, but they were set farther back and not right on the beach. When were were there in 2015, we were under a tree just to the left of the area where the restrooms are. When we were there in 2013, we were the next tree down, which is the tree that is in the picture I posted from 2015. That would have been our first choice, but it was already taken. I'd recommend getting their early for first pic of trees (in 2013, we were actually the first ones there, so we had first pics).

This video is drone footage of Sapphire Beach from August 2018. At the 33 second mark and again at the 1 minute and 51 second mark (pause video for better views) is where you can get a good view that there are still shade trees there.

EDITED:

Screen shot from above video (1 minute 51 second mark) to show the trees. We were in the ones that are on the section of beach in front of that little pond.

enhance

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Yes there was abundant shade by the condos pre-Irma, nice sea grape trees proved lots of shade right by the water. I thought many trees had survived and just lost all of their foliage but we’ve not stayed at Sapphire since Irma.

2PinaColadas confirmed there was some shade and Bill can probably give more details if he sees this thread. But Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with beautiful sapphire-colored water, white powdered sugar sand, and nice island views with some room to get away from the main bar area...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi .  We will be in St. Thomas on February 26, 2019  from 12:30 to 10 PM.  We went to Sapphire Beach on our honeymoon and want to check it out for our 40th next year. We will Dock at The Crown Bay I'm guessing.  Will we get there in time to spend beach and snorkel  time and how hard is it to get a taxi?   We really want to do this and is it realistic?   Thanks

Certainly, very easy to find a taxi at the port going to Sapphire, and taxis will stop in looking for folks returning to the ship. Fare should be ~$11pp each way. Your driver may also offer to return for you...With a late evening departure you can enjoy a nice dinner at one of the nice restaurants overlooking the harbor too!

If you are considering renting a condo for your 40th there is nowhere else on St Thomas or St John where you can stay that compares to the experience of staying oceanfront at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina in our opinion. Just be sure to rent through an owner, either directly or through VRBO.

On this day visit you may meet condo owners in front of the SBRM condos who have been there for some time. Beautiful Bill who posted in post #14 is a long-time owner and can help with any questions. He also posts on the STT forum on trip advisor.We have two excellent owner contacts if you want them, Bill is one of those.

i look forward to your report from this cruise visit after a 39 year leave!

Thank you for the information.  I will let you know about the visit but am very excited to return to the spot.  I know it took a hurricane hit but sounds like everyone is working diligently on recovery.  If it’s anything like we remember I just want to go back for nostalgia sake.    🏝

Yes from what Bill told us the property was more “vibrant” several years ago but then the restaurant closed along with the pool bar. But there is a new beach bar and a restaurant from what I’ve read so sounds perfect - Enjoy! And I’m sure Bill would be happy to show you his condo if you are interested for later and if he is there...

Edited by blue_water