gluten free afternoon tea? GF in general

mef_57

I am not celiac and can tolerate small amounts of wheat, but bread is too much to handle.

I didn't intend to request GF diet as in general, it becomes a bland dry food existence. I am generally able to eat around a normal menu.

However, I would love to partake in afternoon tea some days.

I did a forum search which led to some enlightenment, but I would appreciate current confirmation:

1. Is the GF menu identical to the standard menu with ingredient modifications? (One past post stated she received the menu for the next day and they just modified it to her needs.)

2. Can I ask for GF tea items when I am seated, or do I need to pre-arrange?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I am not sure about the main menu, but for afternoon tea all you need to do is ask and you will receive. You don't really a choice just a plate with a selection of sandwiches and cakes. Hopefully someone had tried them and can give more advice on what you get.

I am not sure about the main menu, but for afternoon tea all you need to do is ask and you will receive. You don't really a choice just a plate with a selection of sandwiches and cakes. Hopefully someone had tried them and can give more advice on what you get.

Thank you Lanky Lad. That puts my mind at rest. Any selection is better than sitting watching others indulging in scones and cream with nothing on my own plate:(

For the main menu, should you want, mention it to the maître d' on the first night. They then bring you the next days menu the evening before, you can choose what you want and they'll do it GF. You'll get GF bread and GF petit fours. Very little fuss made, just a menu in advance. Never been any issues for my wife.

For the main menu, should you want, mention it to the maître d' on the first night. They then bring you the next days menu the evening before, you can choose what you want and they'll do it GF. You'll get GF bread and GF petit fours. Very little fuss made, just a menu in advance. Never been any issues for my wife.

Thanks Steeler33. I'd love an advance viewing of the menu.

Getting back to your original question ( GF Afternoon Tea Queens Room ) Please don't expect to be readily offered ' GF afternoon tea' as soon as you sit down, ie from the passing waiters in the Queens Ballroom.

To save your self hassle , it is best to mention your specific requirements to the head waiter/s 'at the door before you take your seat' don't waste your time requesting special diets through the steward/ss who pass by with the trays of sandwiches etc.

I occasionally travel with a friend who has a specific dietary need and I've

found Cunard to be most accommodating, providing they have been given a little advance notice. Otherwise GF and other dietary food items are 'always available' on the special counter in the Lido/Kings Court buffet area.

Getting back to your original question ( GF Afternoon Tea Queens Room ) Please don't expect to be readily offered ' GF afternoon tea' as soon as you sit down, ie from the passing waiters in the Queens Ballroom.

To save your self hassle , it is best to mention your specific requirements to the head waiter/s 'at the door before you take your seat' don't waste your time requesting special diets through the steward/ss who pass by with the trays of sandwiches etc.

I occasionally travel with a friend who has a specific dietary need and I've

found Cunard to be most accommodating, providing they have been given a little advance notice. Otherwise GF and other dietary food items are 'always available' on the special counter in the Lido/Kings Court buffet area.

Oh, I fully understand. I don't think I want to go GF for all meals, as I can usually work around the options - and I don't eat bread with meals and tea should replace the need for petit fours. So, first tea, I will definitely mention GF as I am being seated (if not before). Once I see the selection, I will further comment on specifics (i.e. GF scones only) so as not to waste food...if that suits them.

I am GF and cannot tolerate bread. Our TA notifies Cunard on booking and I inform our waiter on the first night.

The Section Head will then bring a menu for lunch and dinner the following day for you to make a choice.

I usually have breakfast in the MDR and ocasionally have toast - the only way to eat GF bread. The rolls are OK if warmed. Beware poached eggs as they are served on rounds of non GF bread. I request them without - no problem.

There is an excellent GF section for breakfast in the buffet. Lunch and dinner has GF bread and desserts.

The buffet for afternoon tea offers a selection of GF sandwiches/wraps and cake and scones. Sometimes you have to ask for the cake and scones if not on display.

In the Queens Room ask your waiter for GF sandwiches, cakes. The scones are brought in and are pre wrapped. The cake is made daily onboard and there are other desserts in place of cake some days.

Savoury crackers can be requested in place of the usual rice cakes. They have to be fetched from a store.

The staff are very used to deling with particuar diets and apart from a mix up with the dessert labels in the buffet on one occasion I have had no problems. Now the GF section is separate.

My wife is gluten free (and seriously so, not a fad diet, as she has celiac disease). One of the reasons we have recently switched to Cunard is how much better they cater to gluten free than Oceania.

However, this year on QE she was most disappointed to find that they no longer have any gluten free flour aboard and no longer bake their own gluten free cakes and scones. And even pastry for beef Wellington. She was so delighted to enjoy these last year. But sadly, no more. It's all pre-wrapped factory made stuff which is 99% baking soda and inedible. A real pity.

But they still do a very credible job with main meals etc. And again better than we found Oceania did. On Cunard, the staff all seem to really know what's on the menu, how it's prepared etc.

My wife is gluten free (and seriously so, not a fad diet, as she has celiac disease). One of the reasons we have recently switched to Cunard is how much better they cater to gluten free than Oceania.

However, this year on QE she was most disappointed to find that they no longer have any gluten free flour aboard and no longer bake their own gluten free cakes and scones. And even pastry for beef Wellington. She was so delighted to enjoy these last year. But sadly, no more. It's all pre-wrapped factory made stuff which is 99% baking soda and inedible. A real pity.

But they still do a very credible job with main meals etc. And again better than we found Oceania did. On Cunard, the staff all seem to really know what's on the menu, how it's prepared etc.

Celiac is a difficult disease and having the fresh baked touch must have been a pleasure. I often just do without rather than take the packaged items, but I'll give it a try. Surely enough jam and cream can make even sub par scones somewhat edible? :)

If going on an excursion from the ship let the tour office know any dietary requirements on booking. They will arrange with the tour company for your needs to be met, without any fuss.

Good point. Thanks.