Miami Airport Taxi with small children

jg25

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me here as the Miami Airport website isn't great in my opinion.

I will arrive at Miami Airport in 3 weeks time with a 4 year-old and a 1 year-old.

Will I need to pre-book a taxi before arrival as they will both need car seats and we won't have them with us.

Any advice appreciated.

John.

you will be better off bringing your seats with you. Or get a $40 Cosco Scenera NEXT for the 1 yo and Evenflo Maestro for the 4 yo. If the 4 yo is very tall and heavy, you may get away with bringing a backless booster.

You will need to use the Maestro on the flight. If you didn't book a seat for the 1 yo, you will need to gate check your NEXT - do it in the original packaging and do it at the gate. It doesn't guarantee its safety, but it's better than checking it with the luggage.

Even if a taxi arrives with seats, there is no guarantee that the seats will fit your children or will be age appropriate.

Also check out Travel with Children board on www.babycenter.com and Family Cruising here on cc.

I don't know if this applies to taxi's, but with private hired vehicles the law doesn't require the use of car seats. You may want to look into this option.

If you insist your kids are in car seats no matter the law, check into rental car companies, I know they rent car seats, don't know if they will rent them without renting a car too though.

I don't know if this applies to taxi's, but with private hired vehicles the law doesn't require the use of car seats. You may want to look into this option

which doesn't cancel the laws of physics. Did you read about 18 people that died in a limo crash the other day? They didn't have seatbelts on, because it's not required in a limo by law.

As for the rental car seats - a big no-no. You don't know whether they have been in an accident and never replaced, or have been improperly cleaned (improper chemicals or submerged harness). Or they may simply be expired. Puked or pooped onto.

To OP: another option is to order an Uber with ImmiGo seat for your 4 yo. This way you will only have to bring a seat for your 1 yo.

If an uber driver has 2 immigo seats, you can use the other one for your 1 yo, but I'd rather rear face till 2. Especially with the crazy taxi drivers in ports and airports. But in an emergency, this would be ok to FF a 1 yo for a brief drive.

If you insist your kids are in car seats no matter the law
sorry, but it's like saying - "well, if you do insist on using the life saving devices for your children (although I can't imagine why anybody would want to use those....)".

By the way, FLL airport has a huge sign at the taxi stand that says: Children under 5 must be in car seats. It's the law.

Just a suggestion due to many prior experiences: do not hire a taxi at Miami airport, especially the 444-4444 (their phone number) taxis. Their taxis are the smelliest, dirtiest, most nauseating things I've ever had the displeasure to ride in.

Traveling with a car seat isn't as bad as people think it will be. I used to travel with my daughter's 26 pound Radian all the time. I've put straps on it and worn it like a backpack. I've bungeed it to my rollaboard and wheeled it through airports.

If your one year old still fits in their baby bucket, I'd take that for them and then buy a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the 4 year old from Amazon. Best purchase ever. My daughter is 7 and she still fits in hers. You can roll it up and it fits at the bottom of a backpack or purse.

Sent from my moto x4 using Forums mobile app