Uniworld vs Amawaterways on the Danube (plus questions)

scmom4kids

We are trying to plan our first river trip next fall, and I have a few questions I’m hoping some of you experienced river cruisers can help with.A bit of background... this will be a 30th Anniversary trip, and we are very active people in our early 50’s, and consider ourselves foodies. Willing to consider other cruise lines as well. These were just the two that seemed to be tops without it being Viking)

1. Not sure which cruise line...

2. Can you get insurance that allows you to cancel the cruise portion if the water levels do not come back?

3. We were planning on a few days in Prague- is it better to book this with the cruise line or on your own. (If on your own, how do you get to the ship?)

4. Which line seems “younger” and which has the best food?

5. Is there a “best” time to book where incentives are offered?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you'll find AMA and Uniworld more alike than different. Avg. passenger age tends to be in the 60s and 70s. I'm not aware of any insurance that covers high or low water levels. The cruise line will either cancel the itinerary and allow you to re-book or will refund your money, or if they don't cancel, take you on a bus tour (full or partial). That's the risk you take when you book a river cruise.

Roz

Uniworld offers a “cancel for any reason “ insurance. If you cancel due to medical or other reasons that would be covered under a regular policy, you get a full refund. If the company cancels the cruise you get a full refund. If you cancel due to water level or other reasons not normally covered, you get a credit to use on any cruise during the next two years. If uniworld books your airfare, you get a credit for that. If you book your own airfare you don’t.

Queenofdirt, just to clarify, are you saying that if Uniworld still offers the itinerary (albeit all or partially by bus), they will allow to cancel due to water levels and you get a full credit?

Roz

Queenofdirt, just to clarify, are you saying that if Uniworld still offers the itinerary (albeit all or partially by bus), they will allow to cancel due to water levels and you get a full credit?

Roz

Roz,

Uniworld offers this "insurance" which is laughable, to me. They want passengers to pay money, and very few of these events is likely. It's insulting, in a way. I'm a huge Uniworld fan, but things like this are leading me to price and seriously consider other lines.

PEACE OF MIND PROGRAM

Once your Uniworld cruise has departed, the Peace of Mind program will safeguard your vacation investment against unforeseen disruptions or delays which can/may occasionally occur due to adverse weather (including high and low water levels), natural disasters, mechanical breakdowns and strikes. For only $129 per person, the Peace of Mind program will compensate guests $500 per person, per day, in the event there are significant disruptions to the itinerary. The Peace of Mind program can be added up to 30 days prior to the cruise-tour start date and is non-refundable once purchased. Guests participating in the Peace of Mind program will also be entitled to join us for a “behind the scenes” tour of their Uniworld ship. This unique experience will certainly be among the highlights of the cruise.

THE PEACE OF MIND PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Uniworld River Cruises manages and administers the Peace of Mind Program (the “Program”). The Program is designed to be hassle free for our guests. If a covered event, defined below, occurs during the cruise, Uniworld will automatically process the event and send a check to the guest. The guest does not need to file any claim with Uniworld and the Program is different from, and independent of, any travel insurance claim that may be available to the guest.

The Program is designed to compensate our guests for significant unforeseen events rather than minor delays. The Program covers unforeseen events lasting more than 24 hours, including events that cause the cancellation of a cruise once it has commenced. Guests will be reimbursed $500 for each additional disrupted 24 hour period with a maximum reimbursement of $5000 per person, per cruise.

“Cruise” is defined as the published itinerary on which the guest is booked, as identified on the Uniworld booking invoice. Pre- and post-cruise land extensions, extra nights at hotels, travel days, and independent travel arrangements are not covered.

Covered Event(s) is defined as follows:

If due to weather (including water levels), mechanical breakdown, or industrial actions (strikes, lock closures) one or more of the following occurs:

• A complete halt to the itinerary for more than 24 hours, where we are unable to deliver the scheduled shore excursions, or alternate excursions of similar quality;
  • An event resulting in our inability to deliver the published program except by way of coach rides greater than three hours each way;
  • A cancellation of the cruise by Uniworld that occurs after the cruise has commenced;

A normal disruption is not a Covered event and there would be no compensation for the following occurrences:

• If a disruption occurs but last for less than 24 hours.
  • If high water levels prohibit the sailing of the ship for an afternoon but the ship is navigated under the bridge that evening and delivers you to your scheduled disembarkation place the following day;
  • If it becomes necessary, due to high/low water, to trade ships and the trade takes less than 6 hours to complete;
  • If we have to make alternate arrangements for itinerary activities. For example, if due to prevailing conditions we are not able to visit Marksburg Castle and we select a replacement of similar quality, this will not constitute Covered Event.

Uniworld reserves the sole right to determine whether or not an event is a Covered Event and what amount of compensation is allowable. Any one occurrence or series of occurrences attributable to one source or originating cause is deemed to be one Covered Event.

Once a Covered Event occurs, Uniworld will, within 14 days of the conclusion of the cruise, mail a check to the guest’s home address on file with Uniworld. There is no need to file a claim with Uniworld. The compensation offered under the Program is limited to $500 for each disrupted 24-hour period with a maximum compensation of $5000 per guest who has purchased the Program. Consequential loss of any kind including loss of enjoyment or any other financial loss is not covered or provided under the Program. This program can be added up to 30 days prior to the cruise-tour start date and may be modified or withdrawn at any time. Other restrictions may apply.

Thank you for the clarification, Acwmom. I also sail Uniworld, which is why I was questioning the information saying that if you just decide not to go because the river is high or low, you can just book another cruise.

Roz

Thank you for the clarification, Acwmom. I also sail Uniworld, which is why I was questioning the information saying that if you just decide not to go because the river is high or low, you can just book another cruise.

Roz

Roz,

It looks like you have to cancel 24 hours or more before the scheduled departure, and you would then get credit vouchers good for 24 months. It would be interesting to see how pricing compares to non-Uniworld travel insurance. I use miles for air, so having to book air through Uniworld wouldn't work well for me.

Robin

I book my air thru Uniworld, so if they were still doing the itinerary, I would be there. Still beats 2 wks. at home, and if I had everything arranged to go, it would be a lot of hassle to undo things. I'm set to fly out of here on November 3 for a November 5 cruise, and have been watching the water levels on the Rhine.

Roz

I book my air thru Uniworld, so if they were still doing the itinerary, I would be there. Still beats 2 wks. at home, and if I had everything arranged to go, it would be a lot of hassle to undo things. I'm set to fly out of here on November 3 for a November 5 cruise, and have been watching the water levels on the Rhine.

Roz

Sounds like Uniworld has continued to sail recently, at least, though they emptied the pool on the Antoinette one day in order to sail. Hopefully by November there will be plenty of water! I agree, having to undo things would be a hassle. That's why we asked to move to a different cruise when our Burgundy Provence cruise was canceled due to lock repair this spring. I WAS going on vacation....at that point, it was either to Paris/Normandy, or a full refund and DIY trip. Fortunately, they had cabins left:-)

Robin

We are trying to plan our first river trip next fall, and I have a few questions I’m hoping some of you experienced river cruisers can help with.A bit of background... this will be a 30th Anniversary trip, and we are very active people in our early 50’s, and consider ourselves foodies. Willing to consider other cruise lines as well. These were just the two that seemed to be tops without it being Viking)

2. Can you get insurance that allows you to cancel the cruise portion if the water levels do not come back?

3. We were planning on a few days in Prague- is it better to book this with the cruise line or on your own. (If on your own, how do you get to the ship?)

I agree with Roz, that Uniworld and Ama are more alike than different. Our Uniworld cruises have tended to trend younger, perhaps because we travel early in the season, when travel agents are more likely to be onboard. I haven't traveled on Ama yet, but understand their food is better (from pax who have traveled both) It is also my understanding that their wine cruises tend to trend younger.

Uniworld tends to start discounting in November. Since they are all inclusive, there aren't usually a lot of incentives, though some TA's may be able to rebate money back at the end of the cruise. Ama has a few free air incentives right now.

I have also traveled on Avalon. While I didn't enjoy my particular cruise as much as my Uniworld ones, they have now developed more active itineraries, and have open time dining at dinner, so you're not tied to eat at a set time (Uniworld does this as well, which we really like). Avalon has several "free air" cruises next year as well.

As far as an extension, I am in the "do it yourself" camp, and save $$, stay where you want to stay, and do what you want to do. We have always done this, and taken a taxi or Uber to the ship from our hotel.

The Danube itineraries offer a lot of opportunities to hike and bike, so, assuming the water levels are adequate when you sail, you should have plenty of choices.

Robin

We were planning on a few days in Prague- is it better to book this with the cruise line or on your own. (If on your own, how do you get to the ship?)

I am somewhat of a "DIY" traveller, but Prague is a bit further out than most cities. You are a few hours away by bus or train from most of the usual embarkation/disembarkation points. Once you decide on a tour, see what the cruise line can offer. Or, book on your own - and see if you can book a transfer with them. There are many tours that include Prague - so you may get a transfer, some hotel nights - and then can extend. In that case (and I have done this) - I have booked at the same hotel on my own for an extra night or two.

Which line seems “younger” and which has the best food?

In my experience (river cruise #14 coming up) this is often cruise dependant. We have cruised with many lines, and a "younger" experience with a company many not be repeated on another cruise with the same company. It may be more itinerary dependant. For example, you may get a younger group of fellow passengers on a wine cruise, than on one that has the beaches of Normandy as the main draw. For food - that is quite subjective. You have no control over who the chef (and his crew) are. And, what I think is great food, others may find too spicy, or too bland. One of our best cruises - food wise - was in Russia... and I was totally prepared for a bland, potato/cabbage heavy menu. You may get a kitchen that specializes in soups - or in sauces - or in desserts. I love a good pastry, so a menu that offers lots of ice cream based desserts doesn't enthuse me - and yet my husband loves this. Lots of people rave about the food with AMA, and yet our sailing with them was rather disappointing from a food perspective. Again, probably hinged on the chef/kitchen crew - and I struck out with that sailing.

Is there a “best” time to book where incentives are offered?

Many lines are offering incentives now for next year. They probably won't get much better, unless they are not sold out on a sailing and offer a great incentive to fill a boat. The most popular itineraries - on "in demand" dates - often aren't discounted. So, if you know when and where you want to sail - and you can find an incentive - book now. River cruises can - and often do - sell out quite a bit in advance. I was speaking with a friend who just booked her 1st river cruise for 2020. She wants to see the Passion Play - and many lines already sold out for the time she wants to travel !!

Whatever you decide... enjoy ! And, congrats on the anniversary.

Fran

I've only sailed with Uniworld so I can't answer as far as the comparison, but everything I've read seems somewhat comparable between the two. I've gotten the impression that Uniworld is more 'all inclusive' and we like having nothing due at the end of the trip. I've also fallen in love with the beds on the Uniworld ships so I'm not sure anything could compare. ;)

We are planning to do 4 nights at the end of our cruise in December in Prague, and we initially looked at booking through Uniworld but found it pricey for what it provided. We also wanted more flexibility in terms of the number of days and where we would stay so we booked everything on our own. That said, we are typically pretty independent travelers so we were quite comfortable doing this. I booked a private driver to pick us up at the end of our cruise and take us to Prague, with a stop on the way in Cesky Krumlov.

Regarding insurance, typical travel insurance companies won't cover if you decide to cancel vs. if the cruise lines cancels your cruise. However, many policies offer a 'cancel for any reason' option which adds a significant cost to the policy but still only covers part of your out of pocket costs. You can easily compare policy coverage and costs at http://insuremytrip.com/

The answers have been mostly from a Uniworld perspective, so I will chime in with my AMA experiences. We have done three AMA cruises: the latest was the Zambezi Queen in Africa which was great but isn't completely relevant, but the other two were on the Rhine and Rhône with AMA-owned ships and AMA crews.

In doing my research before the first cruise, I found that Douglas Ward's Berlitz guide to river cruising ranks AMA tops of all river cruise lines, and specifically says that they "spend considerably more on high-quality food ingredients and wine and on hotel crew service training than any other river cruise company. The company is also known to offer the highest level of customer care and friendliness in the river cruise industry." My experience on AMA has matched that high praise.

I have also noted that AMA tends to be able to keep sailing longer than most other lines, whether the issue is high water or low water, because they paid attention to this when designing their ships. Also they were pioneers in wine- and beer-themed cruises and in adding fleets of bicycles to their ships [both of which should attract a younger demographic].