Cruise Critic Community
Torquer

Cannot book a Pinnacle Suite on any cruise

We have been on quite a few HAL cruises and always been fortunate enough to be able to stay in the Pinnacle Suite; we got a good deal on our first cruise and after that we could never go to a lesser suite.

So we have been looking for our next HAL cruise, but have not been able to find a Pinnacle Suite that is not sold out on any cruise we were interested in. So then I just started picking cruises at random in 2019 and 2020. In the 30+ cruises I randomly checked, the Pinnacle Suite is not available. This seems really strange. I know there are only 1-4 per ship and they are popular but this just doesn't seem to make sense and I wonder if there is something wrong. The other cruise line we cruise with has their top suite available on quite a number of future cruises.

One thing that makes me wonder if there is a bug in the HAL website is sometimes when you click on the Neptune Suite (that is the only way to check for the Pinnacle Suite availability), there is then no button to even click to check for a Pinnacle Suite even though the ship has 1 or more. Other times, the option for the Pinnacle Suite does show up but it says "Sold Out". So I wonder if there is a glitch on the ones where it doesn't show up at all.

I also wonder if HAL holds the Pinnacle Suites for certain customers and you can't normally book them through their website?

We called HAL and they were useless in trying to help us, except to say the Pinnacle Suites are very popular. We asked if they could provide a list of all future cruises that have Pinnacle Suites available and maybe we could find a cruise we like from that list, but they said that was impossible to do.

Does anyone have any insights on booking a Pinnacle Suite within the last few months, on any future cruise?

Edited by Torquer
Improve formatting

We also sail in the Pinnacle and have found them very hard to get.

Our TA usually ends up calling HAL to find out why they show "sold out". Sometimes they are really sold out. But other times she has been told that they hold some Pinnacle Suites for the President Club members.

The only thing I can suggest is finding a good travel agent who knows how to use the HAL agent booking system (POLAR) and explain your issue and have them search the dates you are most interested in. A great agent is hard to find, but they can prove VERY helpful!

Is there a reason you are avoiding the use of a TA to do your legwork in this matter?

This type of issue is right up their alley. A good TA knows what buttons to push to get the answers you want.

You need a good TA or PCC

I have noticed (an no I don't book them, but I have done a couple on upsells) that PS's are not available on any collectors cruise. For whatever reason they go to the different segments.

A good TA/PCC can have those moved out of inventory so you can book them.

I haven't seen any wanting of PS's when I have looked but I certainly haven't looked at a million cruises - just a few :). PS's are available.

I use online booking agents. You could try one to see if the Pinnacles are available. For my next cruise in November, I have an SB Guarantee which includes Pinnacle. They are now booked, but for the last two months I was hoping (silly me) that maybe we could hit the big time.

Don't do it on line.

HAL's website is Terrible.

Either call a good TA or call HAL and ask for a PCC. igt sounds like the website is still wonky.

1-800-355-3017

I want to second what Sail made a comment on - in terms of PS inventory HAL usually will block it on collectors cruises but it may be available on the individual segments. On grand voyages/ segments they use historical booking patterns to determine whether its bookable for the full voyage or segments. Again - a good travel agent will know how to read inventory and how to ask the right questions. There are circumstances where booking as segments rather than full voyage/collectors can benefit you -both from a fare basis but also in situations where HAL has perks like onboard credits etc.

I hope some of this helps and you can find the suite on the days you wish to travel!!!

We have been on quite a few HAL cruises and always been fortunate enough to be able to stay in the Pinnacle Suite; we got a good deal on our first cruise and after that we could never go to a lesser suite.

So we have been looking for our next HAL cruise, but have not been able to find a Pinnacle Suite that is not sold out on any cruise we were interested in. So then I just started picking cruises at random in 2019 and 2020. In the 30+ cruises I randomly checked, the Pinnacle Suite is not available. This seems really strange. I know there are only 1-4 per ship and they are popular but this just doesn't seem to make sense and I wonder if there is something wrong. The other cruise line we cruise with has their top suite available on quite a number of future cruises.

One thing that makes me wonder if there is a bug in the HAL website is sometimes when you click on the Neptune Suite (that is the only way to check for the Pinnacle Suite availability), there is then no button to even click to check for a Pinnacle Suite even though the ship has 1 or more. Other times, the option for the Pinnacle Suite does show up but it says "Sold Out". So I wonder if there is a glitch on the ones where it doesn't show up at all.

I also wonder if HAL holds the Pinnacle Suites for certain customers and you can't normally book them through their website?

We called HAL and they were useless in trying to help us, except to say the Pinnacle Suites are very popular. We asked if they could provide a list of all future cruises that have Pinnacle Suites available and maybe we could find a cruise we like from that list, but they said that was impossible to do.

Does anyone have any insights on booking a Pinnacle Suite within the last few months, on any future cruise?

Try on of HA’s “personal cruise consultants.” It’s a special dept., not the booking agents who answer the phone. They’re very helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm the OP and just wanted to give an update.  We picked out 6 cruises in 2019 that had some interest for us and gave them to our TA.  Low and behold, the Pinnacle Suite was indeed available to be booked on 2 of those cruises, despite the fact the HAL website still says it is sold out.  This really makes no sense to me why HAL would do this, unless it is a simple programming bug on their website.  I wonder how many times they have had to do an upsell from a Neptune Suite to PS, because no one booked it because they thought it was not available.

BTW, some people replied to my post on why we were looking at HAL's website instead of going to our TA first.  Well, since the the PS is always in high demand, we have always looked on the HAL website first to see if there is availability; if not, we can just rule out that cruise.  It seems like a perfectly reasonable approach, but now we see that apparently it doesn't work that way...oh well.

Always best to go direct to the horse's mouth....

On the website, they may not be so generous with allowing booking to discourage people from booking the Pinnacles with a FCD, then canceling at the last minute.

In other words, discouraging the dreamers and wannabes,  and seeking the real players. As we stay in higher level suites at various hotels, we see this from time to time. We always stay in Neptunes on HAL, and have stayed in the Pinnacle Suites.

I agree with Torquer. When we went to the HAL site to book a Pinnacle and found none available for any of the dates chosen, my wife gave up and I searched for more than an hour - finally finding one in Greece in 2020! I like to do research to narrow my choices before speaking to a travel agent or the cruiseline. Very frustrating experience. We're not talking about long cruises. Simple cruises to Alaska or Mexico or the Caribbean. They used to post availibility. I sure hope there is a glitch in the site. Viking posts all available cabins, and their pricepoint is far higher than HAL. Sorry, I don't buy the idea that they don't post availability to prevent the use of fake credit cards, since many cruises in Neptune Suites are far more expensive than shorter cruises in a Pinnacle. 

Torquer, you're not the only one.  In the not-so-distant past, we could see availability on PS availability just like any other cabin category, and quickly eliminate those cruises that had no PS cabins available.  About a week ago I was doing some searching and went through the exact same process you did.  It's now exceedingly difficult to find PS availability, first clicking on Neptune Suites, then sometimes clicking through to cabin selection and finding the "upgrade to a PS for only $xx" and other times having to go the stateroom map and directly type in the PS cabin number to get the pricing.

In an ideal world, this would be a filter we could select when searching for a cruise.  Right up there with "region", "departure date", "ship name", etc. would be "cabin type" so that we could select only PS and then immediately see which cruises had the PS available for sale.

I complained about the lack of Pinnacle Suite listings on the HAL site critique area and mentioned I had posted on CruiseCritic. More should complain directly to HAL.

We are traveling in our first PS in December. We were originally booked on a Christmas cruise but changed our minds when we saw the PS ( both of them) was available the week before. We looked at he big box store based in Seattle and on HAL and saw availability. And the price was only a little more than we were already paying for a NS. I didn’t  have any difficulty seeing it was available on either site. Yeah you have to click on Suites and then it shows you what’s available

Try to find a Pinnacle on any of the ships other than Koningsdam or Nieuw Amsterdam. There is no listing for a Pinnacle Suite at all, either sold out or available. 

On 11/3/2018 at 12:03 AM, twodjs said:

Try to find a Pinnacle on any of the ships other than Koningsdam or Nieuw Amsterdam. There is no listing for a Pinnacle Suite at all, either sold out or available. 

Don't understand your statement.  We have had Pinnacle Suites on quite a few different ships -- never had a problem booking them -- just had our TA call HAL and booked them.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:17 AM, sail7seas said:

Why is Nieuw  Amsterdam different than  Eurodam in this respect?

My mistake - I meant to say Nieuw Statendam. The point being there are no Pinnacle Suites listed for any but the two newest ships. They changed the format of the cabin booking page and excluded any mention of Pinnacle Suites. 

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Don't understand your statement.  We have had Pinnacle Suites on quite a few different ships -- never had a problem booking them -- just had our TA call HAL and booked them.

Sorry, you are missing the point both of us are trying to make. On HAL's website redesign they no longer list Pinnacle Suites at all except for the two newest ships. You might hate doing research - I'm a do-it-yourself person who happens to like putting together the vacation puzzle pieces. Frustrating when our options can no longer be seen! 

42 minutes ago, twodjs said:

My mistake - I meant to say Nieuw Statendam. The point being there are no Pinnacle Suites listed for any but the two newest ships. They changed the format of the cabin booking page and excluded any mention of Pinnacle Suites. 

Thanks for responding.  🙂

This is puzzling to me because we keep getting upsells for the Pinnacle Suite for our November 17, Oosterdam sailing. We will consider it if the offer comes down enough. However, if you look on the consumer site, it doesn’t come up as available. One would think HAL would make it easy to purchase. 

Exactly my point. When booking any cabin, I want to see the cost of other cabin catagories, to reinforce my purchase decision. This website redesign doesn't give me that option. And for an upsale, how do you know you're getting a deal?