Welcome back

Host Hattie

Are you seeing the same thing I am?  Links with "URL" tags in existing posts are no longer active links (for example all the links in your "WELCOME TO THE CUNARD BOARD" post). Linkwise posts with "IMG" tags for images are no longer showing those images (for example my "Cunard Webcams" thread). Or is it just me?

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

And those signatures go on FOREVER double spaced.

Roy

I tried to edit my signature to remove the extra blank lines and received this error.

Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

•  Maximum of 1 image
  •  Images up to 150 x 175 pixels
  •  Maximum of 3 URLs
  •  Maximum of 6 lines

Your chosen signature does not meet the guidelines.

12 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not gonna say that I hate it yet, but somebody has definitely moved my cheese.

There is always the potential that our cheese has not been moved, but consumed by the dreaded IT gremlin who had no idea the cheese was important, like ALL the links in Hattie's "Welcome to the Cunard Board" posting, some of the most valuable information for new Cunard TA travelers like myself. 

32 minutes ago, ddgarner1 said:

There is always the potential that our cheese has not been moved, but consumed by the dreaded IT gremlin who had no idea the cheese was important, like ALL the links in Hattie's "Welcome to the Cunard Board" posting, some of the most valuable information for new Cunard TA travelers like myself. 

Good to hear they are helpful, I'll have a go at fixing them now.

• Like 1

I'm a little disappointed. During the transition I was one of the people saying, "Hey these big moves take time, they have to convert fifty million posts to the new board's format, if you don't do it right things like links and images break during the switchover" and then you wonder whether they really did anything to convert the old content format to the new board's format.

A year from now we won't remember how it was the old way, but you gotta think this will drive a lot of people away, especially those who were barely capable before because it was familiar.

Little things like the old "UserCP" page that showed all my subscribed threads that had new content followed by links to my subscribed forums. That screen was consistent and familiar. I haven't yet found out how to see that on one screen here. I found a page of all my subscribed forums (once, can't remember where) but it seemed to be sorted according to which forum last received a post. Inconsistent from visit to visit when I'm used to Cunard being the fourth firm area from the top in my subscribed forums.

Little things like the countdowns in my signature being too large for the new restrictions, forcing me to choose between putting my past cruises on one line (to temporarily fix the double-linefeed bug) and leaving my signature untouched for the time being. I apologize for not fixing my signature.

Little things like this board moving to smaller display fonts without serifs. Don't cruise passengers tend to skew older than the general population? Shouldn't legibility have been one of the criteria for the new forum?

Grumble grumble.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Are you seeing the same thing I am?  Links with "URL" tags in existing posts are no longer active links (for example all the links in your "WELCOME TO THE CUNARD BOARD" post). Linkwise posts with "IMG" tags for images are no longer showing those images (for example my "Cunard Webcams" thread). Or is it just me?

I might have fixed them, they look OK to me now. Can somebody else check them ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I might have fixed them, they look OK to me now. Can somebody else check them ?

Looks pretty good to me.

The link to "Q&A with Stephen Payne" says "the page you requested does not exist" and the link to "QM2 activities M517.pdf" says "this attachment is not available". Everything else seems to be working.

Edit: Thanks for fixing the "Cunard Webcams" images. The links within the "Cunard Webcams" sticky to the pages on the Cunard web site don't work, but that's not new. Those links haven't worked for quite a while now.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'll have a look at those now.

All I had to do was choose "Edit" and then "Save" , I didn't actually change anything

The attachment seems to be working OK for me, I've taken the Stephen Payne comment out for the moment as that interview seems to have disappeared.

Once the dust settles :classic_laugh:, I'll see if it's still around somewhere.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I'm not gonna say that I hate it yet, but somebody has definitely moved my cheese.

OK, I think in getting a little more accustomed to it.

I've bookmarked https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/ as my entry into Cruise Critic. I've figured out where in Account Settings to automatically follow topics I start and topics I post to. I've figured out how to follow/subscribe to forum areas (such as "Cunard"). The order in which things appear is different but not too painful, I suppose.

If you seem to be following forum areas and it says the last post was sometime this morning, try following and refollowing the forum area...

• Like 2

Thank you, Host Hattie. I have tried both the computer version and the mobile version on my iPhone. There are several things I think that I am going to like about this new format... especially on the computer. 😎

The main thing I noticed was that the new mobile version of CC was draining my battery more quickly than the old phone Cruise Critic app did. I don't know if others have experienced this, but thought I would mention it in case people had noticed.

Edited by naturelovergirl
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, I think the "Cunard Webcams" sticky has become a casualty of the new board format. I'm not able to get the webcam images to update on that sticky any more. And when I dig into the details of the image attributes, I see the QM2 webcam image now has this lengthy "https://" image address within the sticky.

"boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.cunard.com/webcams/qm2.jpg&key=e4613c308c57ef7e33a6bdf63caec84bccd1752f65a35e8617d437038ade5f6d"

The actual live webcam image URL (that was used in the previous board format for the webcam sticky) is just the "www.cunard.com/webcams/qm2.jpg" portion embedded within that much longer URL that Cruise Critic has now created for the image.

It looks like images included in posts are now static images as of the time they are posted and can no longer be live images that update when the posts containing the images are refreshed within the browser.

Here are links to the live webcam images that should update when you click on these links.

QM2: http://www.cunard.com/webcams/qm2.jpg

QV: http://www.cunard.com/webcams/qv1.jpg

QE: http://www.cunard.com/webcams/qel.jpg

But of course that's extra work to click on the links to actually get the images to display for you.

If anyone knows of a way to post live images in this new board format, I'll be glad to hear about it.

That seems short-sighted. Elsewhere you'll find that all images you upload count against a 50 MB total for all images uploaded by your account. If every image you link gets uploaded and stored, I wonder if it also counts against your limit?

I'm sure there was a reason for the change but I can't fathom what that reason would be...

Edit: Sorry, 500 MB of attachments per user.

Edited by Underwatr

Thanks Hattie, it is great to be back. 

My kids and grand kids all tell me that I'm only using about 10% of my i-phone and Mac Book capabilities so that is probably about all I am using of whats offered on the CC website. With that said, I like the new format, especially the larger thumbnail photos of the participants. I can almost tell what you are drinking now Hattie. From the color I first thought it might be a chocolate martini. But now I can see what looks like a lemon wedge on the edge of the glass but I'm fooled by the creamy color of the drink. Could it possibly be a Cosmo without the proper measure of cranberry juice??? My kids, grand kids and wife also tell me i have way too much time on my hands.

Jack

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I turned off seeing signatures earlier, but now I can't turn it back on (apparently) because my current signature is non-compliant. Is there any place to turn on seeing signatures than on the signature editing page?

The only place I've found is the "View Signatures?" option within the signature settings. And yes, it does appear that option can only be saved if you also have a valid signature to save along with it. I see you have gone ahead and shortened your signature to be compliant, using a creative signature that is very much to the point. Bravo for that less than ideal but succinct solution to the problem.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

That seems short-sighted. Elsewhere you'll find that all images you upload count against a 50 MB total for all images uploaded by your account. If every image you link gets uploaded and stored, I wonder if it also counts against your limit?

I'm sure there was a reason for the change but I can't fathom what that reason would be...

Edit: Sorry, 500 MB of attachments per user.

As a further test, I created a post in the TEST FORUM that included an "IMG" tag reference to an image I uploaded to my Photobucket library. Then I deleted the image from Photobucket and the image is still showing up in the Cruise Critic post. The URL of the image in that test post is also pointing to "boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy".

I suppose in general this behavior is a good thing. Cruise Critic is no longer dependent on the image always being present in a third-party repository. But it does mean the images are now static.

I don't know if images like this count toward the account upload limit even if they were not specifically uploaded to Cruise Critic, but rather automatically uploaded by Cruise Critic behind the scenes so to speak.