We are back!

Steve Q

24 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

We are back. Good news.

Yes - it seems you are and I have the honour of being first to reply and say "Thank goodness"  😀

It will take a while to get used to the new format - for instance I can't see yet how to preview the post?? But I expect we will all get used to it in the end!

Yes, definitely a different user interface, which will take a few days to learn the new features. Must be a busy site, as earlier this morning I received an error message the servers were overloaded.

Like the ability of selecting no notifications for each post. Saves going to subscriptions and deleting them.

Edited by Heidi13

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Yes, definitely a different user interface, which will take a few days to learn the new features. Must be a busy site, as earlier this morning I received an error message the servers were overloaded.

Like the ability of selecting no notifications for each post. Saves going to subscriptions and deleting them.

I couldn't get into the River Cruising forum or any of its threads that I already had open in tabs. Fortunately there was a contact us button under each of the error messages and I was able to copy and paste the error messages and forward them to the techies. 

I want to know how to subscribe to a thread. I don't want instant notification but I do want the daily digests of the threads I want to follow. 

And there is a bugs and glitches forum, which I am off to read to see what I can learn. 

37 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just checked out the bugs & glitches and OMG, they already have 4 pages of threads.

Yes, but if you look carefully, many are repeats or just people complaining and some are asking for help and should be in the help forum. Some people are complaining about the screen being too white, but this is the same background we have always had. Go figure! At least they fixed the added the expand signature button --but forgot the collapse button.

I am sure that it will take them a while to work out the kinks, and there are a lot of them.

There is private messaging built into the system and the only way that CC could disable it was to set the daily message limit to zero. So, don't bother to set up private messaging.

The old coding (for making things bold or inserting links or pictures, etc.) is not compatible with the new system, so it all shows up as plain text in the posts.  I don't know how they are going to remedy that little blip since it effects millions of old posts.

We have not lost the ability to preview posts. See the icon to the right of the font size, the page with the magnifying glass, that is the preview button. BUT I can figure out how to suppress a sig file on an individual post I am making.

Do check out all the items in the drop-down menu by your screen name at the top of the page; we can control notifcations and other things from there. Heck, it is now like Facebook, with so much fine tuning to be done.

I hope more people will share what they are learning about how things work on the iteration of CC. I think it will make it just that much easier for us all as we go through the break-in period.

• Like 1

I played around with the new interface last night. Went through all the personalisation options trying to re-order posts so the newest was first, to save scrolling down to the view the latest post. Couldn't find anything, so tried all the links on the thread page.

For threads with unread posts, which have the circle or star at the left illuminated, selecting them will take you to the first unread post. On threads with no unread posts, selecting the time since last post take you to the end of the thread, should you want to re-read some of the later posts.

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

LOL, Mike, I hate having to unclick that stupid button every time I post.  My notification preference is for daily digest by mail. I don't want to be bothered each time there is a new post.

Thanks for the tip on how to get to the first unread post of any thread listed in the forum but I wish they would restore the button in the thread itself.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:29 AM, Peregrina651 said:

We're back but where is everybody???

It is so quiet here.

What is everyone waiting for?

I do miss the app on my phone which no longer works and can't seem to stay logged in anywhere other than on this desktop 😡

I'm having issues on my desktop. For some reason, there are communication issues between the server and my browser. I keep getting a Bad Request error. Once it crops up, and no particular reason that it does, I cannot do anything on the site for a bit. I have to go something else for a bit and hope that it clears. No issues on my phone but typing is so slow. 

CC knows what is going on but there are bigger fish to fry. I just keep hoping that whatever the problem is will be cleared up by all the other bugs and glitches they are working on. 

In the meantime, at least I can keep up on the conversations.  That is the important thing. 

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm having issues on my desktop

Sorry to hear that Peregrina,

I am no tech expert and you may have already tried but I wonder if a different browser (eg firefox) might help?  

I did have problems with the boards myself using the Google Chrome browser (which I otherwise use most of the time) but found that Apple's own Safari browser connected perfectly and so I now use that almost exclusively for Cruisecritic.

Well done keeping up on that tiny keyboard and hopefully you will find a solution soon, we very much enjoy your sensible and well informed posts. 

LOL, photopro2, I am using Firefox. I know I can use/should try another browser but I am being stubborn and sticking with FF because it is the most safe and secure. I am not the only person reporting similar problems, so for the short term, I am willing to stick with my current plan. I know that the development team is working on a lot right now and they can't fix everything at once, that they have to prioritize and unlike the other self-entitled, whining dorks I find bitching and moaning on the bugs and glitches thread, I am willing to wait patiently, though perhaps not quietly.

(Posted from my desktop. 🤞

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

LOL, photopro2, I am using Firefox.

That is really funny :classic_biggrin:

I know that FF has a lot going for it so completely understand you sticking with it if you can.

Thanks for the warning, I will steer clear of the bugs and glitches thread and stick with nice Viking folk like you 😘

Hope the solution comes quickly anyway!