New and Improved CC

My Followed Content link in my profile doesn't have the dots to jump to the first unread posts.  The threads with unread posts are still bolded.

I found this as an alternative, though:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/?&stream_read=unread

Closest thing to my post subscriptions page that had the green checks that jumped to the first unread posts that I could find.  There's also a setting in the activity page options bar to have the link jump to the first unread post.

Ohhhhh and you can even custom save your settings and title them under different things.  This makes it tons easier..phew.  Glad I didn't heave to read through all of this thread to figure it out 😉

Edited by AshleyDillo

On 10/16/2018 at 10:40 AM, Robo1098 said:

Too harsh on the eyes. Every post takes up so much room. Too much scrolling. Hate to jump on the dislike bandwagon so quickly but don't care for it so far.

I dislike it - doesn't seem to be informative any more for one thing.  Probably will not have to have ny daily fix any longerf.

3 hours ago, kccrzr said:

I’ve been off-line for about two weeks and was surprised by all of the changes to the site  which don’t seem for the best. I have had to sign in twice in 20 minutes and am unable to locate a very active roll call for the Radiance May 5, 2019 Hawaii sailing. When I go to the roll call page, select Radiance and the month only a lately added thread with few posters comes up in the results list - not the original roll call. 

Try this: at the top of this page click the "activity" tab. In the bar below click "my activity streams" then "activity I follow". You should see all the posts on the roll calls that you are subscribed to. There have been several posts on this roll call today, so just click on the latest one.

4 minutes ago, lr657 said:

Try this: at the top of this page click the "activity" tab. In the bar below click "my activity streams" then "activity I follow". You should see all the posts on the roll calls that you are subscribed to. There have been several posts on this roll call today, so just click on the latest one.

I did this, and then made shortcuts on my main mobile screen to each one.  I put them in a cc folder, and now I can easily get to each roll call and forum that I frequently visit.  It’s slick 🙂

Just tried to update my signature and found that there are new restrictions.  No more than 3 URLs or 6 lines plus limits on image sizes.  That's gonna kill the countdown clocks.

Edit: Looks like my existing signature is grandfathered in??  This will also kill using signatures as a collection of links for past reviews.

Edited by bobmacliberty

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Just tried to update my signature and found that there are new restrictions.  No more than 3 URLs or 6 lines plus limits on image sizes.  That's gonna kill the countdown clocks.

Edit: Looks like my existing signature is grandfathered in??  This will also kill using signatures as a collection of links for past reviews.

I removed my countdown clocks yesterday and just listed the cruises.  I'm not sure how they calculate the 6 lines thing since I'm sure it shows more than that?  But, it accepted it (for now at least).  I'm going to have to copy my cruise list and keep it somewhere since this is the only place I have it so I remember ships/years.

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Also the search features worked MUCH BETTER on the old  CC

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I've not gotten the search to work at all on this one.

Search is not working properly yet. The system has to complete building indexes. A process that is apparently going to take some time. If you look at the top of various streams you will see a note.

I absolutely HATE that there is no "new posts" area.  That was the reason I liked Cruise Critic over every other message site.  Now it's just like the rest...too cumbersome looking for something. So disappointed...it wasn't broke, why did you "fix" it.  

9 minutes ago, sharpasice said:

I absolutely HATE that there is no "new posts" area.  That was the reason I liked Cruise Critic over every other message site.  Now it's just like the rest...too cumbersome looking for something. So disappointed...it wasn't broke, why did you "fix" it.  

For new posts on a mobile: Click on the page menu, far right below the cc banner. Select Activity, All Activity. If you click the shaded check mark at the right of the title "All Activity" the stream will become your default and you will be able to get to it just by clicking the 3rd from right icon on the page menu. (The icon was a newspaper, but it now shows a missing graphic icon.)

For new posts on a pc/mac: hover over the Activity tab, this will display a menu bar below, click on All Activity.  

For even faster access, once the All Activity stream is displayed have your browser put a link on your home screen/desktop.

One of e things I liked about the app was that I could get to my forums in one or two clicks then scroll indefinitely through posts.  It wasn’t perfect but it was easy to navigate.

In my opinion, the main reason some sites are moving away from apps is they don’t want the added expense of having to maintain it.  Of course, with the large variety of browsers out there I wonder how many are used in testing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, oldguysandgalls said:

What CC IT people may have overlooked is that many CC users are seniors and perhaps not as computer savvy. We are trying to make the best of it but it hasn't been easy and/or pleasant so far.

I think most CC users are normal users and not that computer savvy. I don’t think this set up is going to be easy or pleasant for people who just want things to work. 

One of the boards here I read and post to a lot is pretty much dead since the switch over. Also not one regular except me has posted to the board. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

This might really be a challenge for live reviewers.  You probably would have had to replace or charge your battery a couple times a day during your recent two week review.

True, but I can now post pics from a laptop. That's a big plus.  

I prefer the design of the previous layout. This new version is too cluttered.

I like the "Like" feature.

I really dislike the avatars on the topics page. That's just unnecessary. Also, hovering over a screen name accidentally gets annoying really quick.

Edited by MLBFan24
  • Like 1