Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
iWillSailAway

New and Improved CC

Recommended Posts

I am too busy to learn the new format now but any suggestions on accessing subscribed threads would be greatly appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SherriZ366 said:

I am too busy to learn the new format now but any suggestions on accessing subscribed threads would be greatly appreciated.  

 

Mobile: click the page menu (three horizontal bars at right end of the blue bar below the cc banner), click the Activity option, My Activity Streams,  Content I Follow. Once you navigate there you can have the browser place a shortcut  on your home screen/desktop.

 

PC/Mac: hover over Activity tab, click My Activity Streams, Content I Follow. 

 

At the bottom of the My Activity Streams list is a Create New Stream button that lets you create new, custom streams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Manage Follow Content in my User name.  Haven't checked the Activities Tab fully. Still learning on day 3. What are they referring to," Create New Stream " 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I use the Manage Follow Content in my User name.  Haven't checked the Activities Tab fully. Still learning on day 3. What are they referring to," Create New Stream " 

 

At the bottom of My Activity Streams is a button Create New Stream. If you push the button a form will pop that lets one enter a stream name/title, sort order, and a bunch of other parameters. After setting the parameters/options, click Save Changes. The new stream will be displayed. It will also be added to the My Activity Streams list.

 

I created a custom stream that fairly closely mimics the list I used to see in my old control panel. The parameters I used are Content items only, Content I haven't read,  Only content I follow, Take me to the first unread content, Everything, Any time, Topics, and Condensed. The only real difference is that it lists all new entries and once I've read them it removes them from the list.

 

One can make any stream the default. This is done by enabling the check mark to the right of the stream name/title when it is displayed. On a mobile clicking the 3rd from right icon on the page toolbar immediately displays the default stream. On pc/mac the default stream name is displayed on the right side of the breadcrumbs line (the small light text line that indicates where one is).

 

I don't think there is an unreasonable limit on the number of streams one can create. One can change the parameters that are displayed below the stream name. When a change is made one has the option of saving the changes, effectively editing the custom stream definition.

Edited by broberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Frick_&_Frack said:

I removed my countdown clocks yesterday and just listed the cruises.  I'm not sure how they calculate the 6 lines thing since I'm sure it shows more than that?  But, it accepted it (for now at least).  I'm going to have to copy my cruise list and keep it somewhere since this is the only place I have it so I remember ships/years.

Me too! When I want to figure out what ship/year, I always just looked at my signature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kands6191 said:

Me too! When I want to figure out what ship/year, I always just looked at my signature. 

spreadsheets work nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been away on a cruise while they made all these changes and just logged in tonight to look at the thread of the cruise I was just on (October 7 - 14) and the thread is GONE.  So if there are any threads you are on and want to refer back to any information contained in there, you can't after the cruise has sailed.  So grab it now.

 

Whoever thought these changes are good is wrong.  Users refer back to these threads alot.  Now we can't

 

I haven't even looked at my signature yet, I sure hope the details are there as it was our record of cruises too.  I will be checking that now and saving it somewhere else if it hasn't already disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CRUSINGFAMILY said:

I have been away on a cruise while they made all these changes and just logged in tonight to look at the thread of the cruise I was just on (October 7 - 14) and the thread is GONE.  So if there are any threads you are on and want to refer back to any information contained in there, you can't after the cruise has sailed.  So grab it now.

 

Whoever thought these changes are good is wrong.  Users refer back to these threads alot.  Now we can't

 

I haven't even looked at my signature yet, I sure hope the details are there as it was our record of cruises too.  I will be checking that now and saving it somewhere else if it hasn't already disappeared.

Looks like you found it

Your sig is really massive, I'd save it elsewhere

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Looks like you found it

Your sig is really massive, I'd save it elsewhere

I have saved it and tried to update the one that is there but I cannot.  It says it doesn't meet guidelines but doesn't explain how to fix it so it meets guidelines.  They have made it way longer than it was before the changes too.  There is alot of wasted space the way they have done it.  Anyway, I remain "not happy" with all the recent changes.  It worked much better before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

 

Bob's the winner! ...  Rhapsody's final time in Vancouver Sept 2014 heading to Oahu/Sydney

 We were on that cruise 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

True, but I can now post pics from a laptop. That's a big plus.  

I noticed, but not a plus for all of us.  Your dog photos now show up on the front page of the forums until there are new "latest".  Not sure what they have to do with cruise pictures!

 

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, broberts said:

 

For new posts on a mobile: Click on the page menu, far right below the cc banner. Select Activity, All Activity. If you click the shaded check mark at the right of the title "All Activity" the stream will become your default and you will be able to get to it just by clicking the 3rd from right icon on the page menu. (The icon was a newspaper, but it now shows a missing graphic icon.)

 

For new posts on a pc/mac: hover over the Activity tab, this will display a menu bar below, click on All Activity.  

 

For even faster access, once the All Activity stream is displayed have your browser put a link on your home screen/desktop.

Thank you so much for your help.  It does seem like a lot of work though for something that was so easy before.  Not your fault obviously...I'm just frustrated with Cruise Critic...not so easy to maneuver anymore, at least for me, but will give it a good try before I give up. Last night, I tried to delete threads I have on my "follow" list and could not find a way to do it all at one time...had to delete each individually, took a while because I had way too many old ones...I was not happy, especially when, after deleting 3 or 4 I'd get at "there's been an error" message and had to start over.  Happened about 3 times. Again, thank you Broberts, I do appreciate your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I noticed, but not a plus for all of us.  Your dog photos now show up on the front page of the forums until there are new "latest".  Not sure what they have to do with cruise pictures!

 

Phil

Easy fix, create your own gallery. The feature is cool and will eventually get used.  I ran across it by accident.  Did not realize the implications.

 

Better than an ad for Depends. 😉             

Fixed it, hope you dont mind Labadee.

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

 

Bob's the winner! ...  Rhapsody's final time in Vancouver Sept 2014 heading to Oahu/Sydney

Interesting, I thought my guess was posted an hour before Bob's..........Maybe my post isn't showing on everyone's computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Interesting, I thought my guess was posted an hour before Bob's..........Maybe my post isn't showing on everyone's computer.

 

Very hard to see the posts, I can see how they can be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Interesting, I thought my guess was posted an hour before Bob's..........Maybe my post isn't showing on everyone's computer.

 

Very hard to see the posts, I can see how they can be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bye bye cc. I'll miss you but you are now too difficult to use 

Edited by Crusin6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CRUSINGFAMILY said:

I have saved it and tried to update the one that is there but I cannot.  It says it doesn't meet guidelines but doesn't explain how to fix it so it meets guidelines.  They have made it way longer than it was before the changes too.  There is alot of wasted space the way they have done it.  Anyway, I remain "not happy" with all the recent changes.  It worked much better before.

It's fairly well explained.  6 lines, 3 attachments, 1 URL.  Or something like that.  You have to many lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, broberts said:

 

At the bottom of My Activity Streams is a button Create New Stream. If you push the button a form will pop that lets one enter a stream name/title, sort order, and a bunch of other parameters. After setting the parameters/options, click Save Changes. The new stream will be displayed. It will also be added to the My Activity Streams list.

 

I created a custom stream that fairly closely mimics the list I used to see in my old control panel. The parameters I used are Content items only, Content I haven't read,  Only content I follow, Take me to the first unread content, Everything, Any time, Topics, and Condensed. The only real difference is that it lists all new entries and once I've read them it removes them from the list.

 

One can make any stream the default. This is done by enabling the check mark to the right of the stream name/title when it is displayed. On a mobile clicking the 3rd from right icon on the page toolbar immediately displays the default stream. On pc/mac the default stream name is displayed on the right side of the breadcrumbs line (the small light text line that indicates where one is).

 

I don't think there is an unreasonable limit on the number of streams one can create. One can change the parameters that are displayed below the stream name. When a change is made one has the option of saving the changes, effectively editing the custom stream definition.

That is a good tutorial and I have done pretty much what you have but I think many CC members are going to find it difficult or too much to bother with.  They are going to be lost. I think CC did not pick the best platform for its demographic. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on Amtrak now and the WiFi wouldn’t open CC I tried several times. It’s working on my mobil data plan but it’s still slower than any of my App sites. It is just too difficult and not worth the the battery life or the data usage to use my phone for this site. I will find another pass time when on the road and only use CC from home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to stay with using my user name and Managed Content, much simpler for me  to return to my most used Threads and i will continue to use the Boards at the top to return to the main page. I have noticed the any new posts seems to take a full day for them to show up even ones I posted. The ones I posted yesterday showed up today under my Managed content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am going to stay with using my user name and Managed Content, much simpler for me  to return to my most used Threads and i will continue to use the Boards at the top to return to the main page. I have noticed the any new posts seems to take a full day for them to show up even ones I posted. The ones I posted yesterday showed up today under my Managed content. 

I'm still using the notifications button, however, it's starting to get clogged with the 'reacted to' notifications. 😏

So the Like button is keeping me from responding thank you and such, but it is still creating an entry.  

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John I did that however my phone and emails on my computer were getting bombarded with messages, so  removed Notifications for this Thread anyway. I left it on for my Roll Calls which aren't doing anything.I have friends on cruises right now that have no idea of the changes, wondering how they will handle this. 

 

Gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am going to stay with using my user name and Managed Content, much simpler for me  to return to my most used Threads and i will continue to use the Boards at the top to return to the main page. I have noticed the any new posts seems to take a full day for them to show up even ones I posted. The ones I posted yesterday showed up today under my Managed content. 

 

If you use the streams in particular Activity | My Activity Streams | Content I Follow, you will see new posts almost immediately. You can use https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/followed-content/ to get there quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...