How to spend OBC ???

caymancouple

Unfortunately, we used it in the clinic. MD visit and lab tests were <$200, which was comparable to the CVS Minute Clinic I went to for the same problem the month before.

At CVS, retail price for antibiotic was $4. Marina MD prescribed a way too strong abx for $400. I made a fuss, so he changed it to a $200 med.

Submitted to insurance, got reimbursed, so non-refundable OBC effectively became refundable. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

The first thing we do when deciding what to spend OBC on is to determine how much of it is refundable. Then, once onboard, we launder our nonrefundable OBC into refundable by going to the Destination Services desk and rebookng enough of our prebooked O excursions to convert it to refundable. Then, it’s a nobrainer as any OBC we have left, which is usually the majority of it, at the end of the cruise we can cash out and take home with us.

Please explain further.  I had no idea that any OBC could be refundable.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, rkhtex said:

Please explain further.  I had no idea that any OBC could be refundable.  Thanks.

Some TA's  will give refundable OBC  (check  with your TA) or if you pay for  a tour/cooking class  in advance  then  cancel or can switch to paying onboard  with your Non refundable OBC  the amount  you paid prior  to sailing  will be  in refundable OBC  & if you do not use it  you get cash back on the last full day of the cruise

Other OBC  such as loyalty program one or  via your tA as part of their incentive are  Use it or lose it

1 hour ago, rkhtex said:

We didn’t either until our TA mentioned it one time as we initially thought the OBC they would give us was also nonrefundable like the OBC we get through cruise line incentive programs such as shareholder benefits, loyalty programs and promotions. But we have found we have to ask our TA each time how much of the OBC they give us for booking with them is either refundable or nonrefundable as it changes depending on the compensation they get from the cruise line we booked a cruise with. But now that we have figured out how to “launder” any nonrefundable OBC we have by rebooking prebooked excursions onboard, it’s not as big a deal as it once was. 

38 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But now that we have figured out how to “launder” any nonrefundable OBC we have by rebooking prebooked excursions onboard, it’s not as big a deal as it once was. 

This will soon be a non-issue as in the near future you will be able to pre-book your excursions with OBC.

It will make it easier for everyone involved.

We’ve started booking cruise only and even then we have too much OBC with past passenger OBC, included gratuities plus TA OBC.   

No one has mentioned bingo!   We now buy the $30 card packets every game.  If you win the cash is refundable.  

We've bought expensive purses and wallets to give to our kids.  Wish they sold little kid clothes which would sell well.  

I’ve talked to people who send laundry and dry cleaning out. 

31 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This will soon be a non-issue as in the near future you will be able to pre-book your excursions with OBC.

It will make it easier for everyone involved.

Yes, starting on cruises sailing on or after 5/19/19 if I recall. We will definitely look forward to that new capability!

• 1 month later...

Yes, on HAL you can buy liquor and they use to deliver to your stateroom the night before you disembark...

In July.. you had to actually go to the store and pick it up!

What to spend OBC on... Specialty rest. Treat yourselves and be pampered to The spa.. massage..  hair, nails..

book some excursions.  Thee are usually sales onboard.. buy presents. 

16 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Can bottles of spirits be purchased onboard for delivery to you just before you disembark ?

Oceania does not sell alcohol in their duty free shops. The only way to buy bottles of alcohol is to pre purchase them before the cruise under Bon Voyage gifts on the Oceania website at the bottom of the page. 

What happens on other cruise lines really doesn't apply to Oceania. 

46 minutes ago, JoAnnaBullhead said:

Yes, on HAL you can buy liquor and they use to deliver to your stateroom the night before you disembark...

In July.. you had to actually go to the store and pick it up!

What to spend OBC on... Specialty rest. Treat yourselves and be pampered to The spa.. massage..  hair, nails..

book some excursions.  Thee are usually sales onboard.. buy presents. 

While there is no charge for specialty restaurants one can use OBC for La Reserve or Privee

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

While there is no charge for specialty restaurants one can use OBC for La Reserve or Privee

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Paul...for some reason...with my PC broken and in the “shop”...I can’t seem to find your email address via my IPAD...can you email me please?....Would like to tell you about my wonderful experience on Riveria T/A 

10 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Paul...for some reason...with my PC broken and in the “shop”...I can’t seem to find your email address via my IPAD...can you email me please?....Would like to tell you about my wonderful experience on Riveria T/A 

LuAnn - will do.

Glad you had a good cruise on Riviera.