Hoping for upsell to Neptune suite, but hopes dashed

Tinker's mom

On 10/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, Tinker's mom said:

We are booked on the Eurodam for a November 4th cruise to the Mexican Riviera.  We have a Signature Suite, which is lovely.  However, I have had a dream of being offered an upsell to a Neptune suite.  We booked through a travel agent and she knows we would be interested depending on the price if HAL calls with an offer.  However now when I look at the website, the only Sold Out is the Neptune suites.  I was so disappointed to see that.  For all of you experienced cruisers, is all hope lost for an upsell offer?  Reading on Cruise Critic made me want to try a Neptune suite just once. lol

Don't despair of your chances.  I do a lot of watching for our upcoming cruises.  There could be Neptunes available again. It has happened on many of the cruises we've taken, that Neptunes become available again.

I have been following the Upsell Offers from HAL Very closely over the past 9 plus years. The past year has had the least amount of offers available. The likelihood of a Balcony to Signature Suite are nil to slim. The HAL Department that handles these have actually reduced the number of employees in this department due to LESS Upsell Offers. There are two Major factors in this, one the economy has improved and those with extra money are willing to spend upfront knowing they will in fact have a Signature or Neptune Suite. Second. HAL has numerous Travel Partners/Travel Agencies that do Special Sales with places such as Travel Zoo. These Travel Agencies partnered with HAL for Special Reduced pricing allowing in some cases the Suites prices to be several hundred dollars less per person. These tend to happen more often on the 7 day voyages but in doing this very often all of the Suites Sell Out.  

There was a time when people who booked Signature Suites had a very good chance of getting an offer to a Neptune but that is definitely no longer the case. My opinion is if you want a Neptune, Book it when it is available.

4 minutes ago, british betty said:

What might be the chance of an upgrade to Neptune if we’ve booked an SS GTY on a 14 day cruise ? 🤔🤔

We are on the Prinsendam this November.  We had a SY GTY and were upgraded to an SS.  Then there was an upsell offered to the Neptune..Cost was almost more than what we originally paid.  Not a good deal for us so we turned it down.  We really are happy with our SS.  There is always a chance an offer will come for a Neptune.  We have taken some for a price we were happy with....never been upgraded...just taken an decent upsell.  And everyone's price point for an upsell is different.  Just saying!

11 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

We are on the Prinsendam this November.  We had a SY GTY and were upgraded to an SS.  Then there was an upsell offered to the Neptune..Cost was almost more than what we originally paid.  Not a good deal for us so we turned it down.  We really are happy with our SS.  There is always a chance an offer will come for a Neptune.  We have taken some for a price we were happy with....never been upgraded...just taken an decent upsell.  And everyone's price point for an upsell is different.  Just saying!

Don't give up yet!  We sailed on the Prinsendam earlier this year, and received 3 separate upgrade offers from an SS to SA.  The first two were too high IMO, but the third offer (less than a week prior to sailing) was quite a bit less - and we took it.

2 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Don't give up yet!  We sailed on the Prinsendam earlier this year, and received 3 separate upgrade offers from an SS to SA.  The first two were too high IMO, but the third offer (less than a week prior to sailing) was quite a bit less - and we took it.

Thanks for the optimistic reply.  I now see on the HAL website that all SS suites are sold out and they are showing 9 Neptune suites available at a price $400 more than the price earlier around.  I think it is anybody's guess whether we will get an offer. The website seems not very consistent.