Starting to look into Italy and or Greece Cruises

tbmrt

We live in Florida.   Been all over the Caribbean.  Thinking of doing a cruise to Italy and or Greece.

Really not into Rome, big cities, art or history that much.  Like the idea of other sightseeing, beaches, etc.  

Ports, ships (not luxury type) and excursion recommendations appreciated.

Also,  recommendations for most convenient and economical airlines and flight times appreciated.

Really need help with this one.  

Thanks.

Check cruises leaving from Venice, Italy. Royal Caribean, NCL and other lines offer that and most of them go to Kroatia, Greece etc.  Find a good cruise agent that can help you choosing.

Have done most of the mediterrean, including Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Spain, Portugal and France.... on Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Crystal, Cunard and NCL.  

Given what you are looking for, would suggest checking out NCL... see if they have any cruises going out of or ending in Athens.

If you spend a few days in Athens, a lot of day trips to two or three islands is an enjoyable experience around trip from Athens.

To be honest there is not a bad port in the Mediterranean.    Even if you stop at the port near Rome, you don't have to go into Rome... explore the port area, we have done both.   

ALL the cruiselines (well, most of them) do all the ports in Greece and Italy. It depends on your preferences and what you want to do.  To be honest, (for me anyway) I have no desire to do a beach when I am cruising the Med.....you mentioned not being into History but (again, for me) that is part of the world that has so much of it, it is simply amazing.  I took a 10 nighter from Venice to Nice this summer and it was FANTASTIC...…..the ports are amazing......we went to 2 stops in Sicily, Rome, Sorrento, Malta, Cinque Terra and Dubrovnik...….

I was in Greece back in 2012 and love it there too.  

In my opinion, the culture, food and history all come into play when sailing to Europe...the Med, whatever part....Eastern, Western…….like I said, for me? Beaches are not part of my thought process for this type of itinerary.

If you don't want the big towns, have a look at Celestyal cruise lines, which sails out of Athens to several Greek Islands, where you can stroll, sunbathe or take excursions. Older ships, but comfortable enough.

Another very small ship (nearly boat) line is called Variety Cruises.  We spent a week with their predecessor company and had a ball spending a week on a boat with only 20 passengers.  Variety has some larger boats/ships and they have some wonderful itineraries.  The problem with the normal cruise ships (and we have done more then 100 of those cruises) is that their very large size works against them when it comes to Greek Islands.  If you do insist on the large cruise lines you should look at cruises that go to places like Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu, etc.  But when you look at the very small ship lines it opens an entirely different world.

Hank

• 2 months later...