LIVE - Anthem 10/18/18 - We're leafpeepin' ya'll

aring75

THANKS for your WONDERFUL review...we board the Anthem 9 weeks from today! (Bahama itinerary--really Orlando, Nassau & Coco Cay)

The foodie tour in Portland makes me want to go! Visited Portland once for 1 night & loved it. Unfortunately no fall tours for us for 4 years...both teachers.  (done in 4!)

So the Solarium Bistro for dinner--just reserve & it is an included meal. Only the premium entrees are extra? If so, we might try it. That lobster tail looked AMAZING!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KKB said:

So the Solarium Bistro for dinner--just reserve & it is an included meal. Only the premium entrees are extra? If so, we might try it. That lobster tail looked AMAZING!

Yep. That’s right. No extra charge except for the premium items. And all the “free” items I’ve tried have been great! Try it. I think you’ll really like it!

1 minute ago, aring75 said:

Yep. That’s right. No extra charge except for the premium items. And all the “free” items I’ve tried have been great! Try it. I think you’ll really like it!

Sounds like a way to have a sort of speciality without the price...tho I may spring for that lobster tail. WOW!

On 10/26/2018 at 3:46 PM, aring75 said:

Thanks for saying all the really nice things guys! I feel so loved. 

Got some pictures of the Solarium at lunchtime. Buffet-style at lunch. Also, it gets more crowded later in the cruise when more and more people find it. You will see brunch & lunch items. 

Can you tell me if the Solarium Bistro is open for lunch on embark day

Edited by psupa

Thank you for your wonderful detailed review. The menus and drink prices are really helpful. We were also on that sailing and we were unaware of the Solarium Bistro. I wish we would have known about it but will definitely try it in the future.

One observation, we missed seeing the Robo Shows and Vista shows on the 270 screen during the cruise. We were previously on the Quantum years ago and really enjoyed them every evening. Either we just were not there at the right time or they've stopped showing them. Never saw them mentioned in the Compass. Just wondering if you were able to catch any showings.

7 hours ago, dsarah said:

One observation, we missed seeing the Robo Shows and Vista shows on the 270 screen during the cruise. We were previously on the Quantum years ago and really enjoyed them every evening. Either we just were not there at the right time or they've stopped showing them. Never saw them mentioned in the Compass. Just wondering if you were able to catch any showings.

We saw one called “Virtual Fireworks” one night. It was pretty late (around 11:15 or so), but I recall any other shows besides Spectra. It seemed like that one played almost every night. Not that I minded - it was amazing!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, aring75 said:

You will receive vouchers for your three free drinks in the evening. These can be used at most of the bars onboard (there are just a couple of exceptions but most say yes).

This is the Diamond Lounge. It’s located on Deck 4 and has nice views. You can also get cappuccino or lattes in the morning with a lovely continental breakfast. 

i-Mb9JWtm-XL.jpg

i-rtS3dRx-XL.jpg

aring75  -  First, I want to say that we have thoroughly enjoyed following your live review of the Anthem.  We will be boarding in about 6 weeks.  When we sailed the Anthem during her inaugural year, Diamonds Plus members were permitted to visit either, the Diamonds Lounge or the Concierge Lounge. Do you know if we will still have that option at this point in time? Thanks in advance for your answer.  

Wow, what an incredible review...just found it this evening and have read all of the posts.  I'm on the Anthem in early January and all of the info is welcome.  I'm actually thinking I may do a BOGO (and this from a cheapo who rarely does specialty dining).  I'm a little disappointed at the beer menu, pretty short but they have my fave, Blue Moon so I'll be good.  The one thing that surprised me was that the Solarium Bistro was not a la carte.  Definitely going to check it out.

Hope you had safe travels home! 

Wow, that lobster looks fantastic.  Was it as good as it looked?  Hopefully you had an uneventful flight home and I really enjoyed your review of your cruise.  I am really thinking about booking a similiar cruise in the future.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 11:03 AM, aring75 said:

They offer a sit-down breakfast in the 

American Icon Dining Room on the final morning between the hours of 7:00 and 8:30 am. 

i-8MQV3SB-X3.jpg

Thank you for an amazing review -great writing (informative and entertaining) and incredible pictures 🙂 My family is going on the Anthem next June to Bermuda as a graduation gift for our daughter and your review answered a lot of questions.  I also suspect my husband and I will book another cruise ourselves and possibly splurge on the drink package for it.

I found the breakfast menu curious.  I didn't realize bacon contained lactose or that French toast and pancakes could be vegetarian (eggs).  I'm guessing dairy doesn't count as vegetarian?

Solarium Bistro looks like something we would really enjoy - lighter fare and less crowds, but still good food.  Did you notice if children are allowed in Solarium Bistro?  Our 13 year old will be with us as well as the 18 year old senior.  I thought the Solarium was adult only, but didn't know if that also applied to the Bistro.  If it does, that's just something else we will save for our couple only trip 🙂 

Thanks again!

On 10/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, Croozin Soozin said:

I can answer that. Yes, diamond plus are invited to use the concierge club. 

What they have done is simple, Diamond Plus are still invited to use Concierge Lounge on their ships. Now the BUT!!! Most ships no longer have a Concierge Lounge!!! Those lounges were replaced in name by the SUITE Lounge and no, SUITE passengers only. No not mini just real suite. We learned that while sailing the Adventure in I think it was May of this year. It was not a problem though since they used large area for Diamond and Plus and drinks and appetizers were fine.

We will be real happy  if the Concierge Club still exists on the Anthem, Deck 12 aft is it?  We are sailing the Anthem Dec21st Holiday cruise and admit having sailed the Quantum during her Inaugural year and then dynamic dining we did not care for the design. But we wanted to sail from local drive to for us area and Anthem fulfills the need this year.

Allow me to add what a wonderful LIVE commentary and photo's aring75 has provided. We thank you so much!!!

aring75,

Thank you so much for the fantastic commentary of your cruise! It helps us in many ways since we are sailing Dec 21st on Anthem. Also have planned to eventually drive to Portland only hours away but have failed to so far. Now you have guaranteed our road trip.

The past two holiday years we have driven to Tampa, slowly, staying in Savannah and the Villages, seeing friends then staying in Embassy Suites using the stay and go cruise package. Loved your area of Florida, may buy into something down there I hope someday.

Thank you again!

George and Linda NY

• Like 1

I can answer for you about Solarium.  I was just on Oasis and children are allowed to eat in the Bistro, just cannot stay in the pool/lounging area.

I plan on using Solarium for many breakfasts in July.  Only difference between Solarium and Windjammer on Oasis was Solarium did not have the donuts (which were icky anyway).

A

• Thanks 1

Wow. Sorry everyone! I've been trying to post for the past couple of days and I haven't been able to log on. Thanks for following along on my review. We loved the Anthem! We would sail again in a heartbeat.

Things we LOVED:

- Great Solarium area...Lots of space and loungers in a beautifully designed area. No real pool, but there is a separate indoor covered pool for those who swim.

- The entire 270 area...This is a great space day and night. The cafe is a wonderful place to grab a light breakfast or lunch sandwich. They serve (non-Starbucks) specialty coffees here, and there are plenty of places to take your food and sit in a (usually) bright and sunny room with an aft view. We ate breakfast here almost every day of the cruise. Nighttime was great for a cocktail and a show.

- Entertainment...I said it before and I'm going to say it again. The talent on this ship is the best we've seen on a cruise in a long time. Not just the show performers, though they were great. The nightly musical entertainers in the bars/lounges were always a fabulous time. We remarked more than once that the Anthem stepped up RCCL's game in the entertainment department.

-Cabin/Room...We booked a standard balcony cabin on Deck 12. It was modern and beautifully appointed, yet still managed to seem comfortable and relaxed. There was storage everywhere. They migrated some of the best storage solutions from the Solstice-class cabins on Celebrity, and somehow the cabin "felt" roomier than usual. Spacious. Mark commented on it, and trust me, he doesn't really notice things like that.

Things that COULD USE IMPROVEMENT:

-Escape Room...I looked for the Escape Room on three separate occasions during our cruise. It was never posted in the Cruise Planner, I never saw a sign, and when I would visit the Seaplex area I could never find anyone to tell me anything about it. There is a desk there, but there was never anyone at the desk. This seems like a great idea but maybe it's just not very well executed.

-Soda/Pop/Coke/Carbonated Beverages...Whatever you want to call your fizzy drink of choice, I occasionally have a Diet Coke with my lunch. On the ship, unless you were willing to carry the big, plastic refillable mug around with you it wasn't very easy to get a soda at certain venues (we had the beverage package). I mean, you could always go to one of the bars and ask for a Diet Coke, but if you go to Sorrentos for a slice of pizza or Cafe Promenade for a sandwich they only have the Coke Freestyle machines which use the special cups. We never carried them around with us. We would usually stop spontaneously for something to eat when we got hungry. It's a minor quibble really, but was annoying.

Crowds...The Royal Esplanade area is smaller on the Quantam class ships than the Royal Promenade on the Oasis class ships. But they still use this area to sell their wares. Every. Single. Day.

All. Day. Long.

It would be nice if they could make the tables of merchandise a little narrower so it's easier to get around. Or maybe just don't do it for the entire cruise, but we just came to see it as a nuisance and tried to avoid it as much as possible.

All-in-all we thought the Anthem was a great ship with a lot to offer. We loved sailing a new itinerary even though it was so cold. (I'm pretty sure this was even colder than all of our Alaska cruises.) And I wouldn't hesitate to book another Quantam Class ship with the right itinerary. 

Now to get back to planning our June Mediterranean & Greek Isles Cruise.....😊

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Max and Ruby said:

I can answer for you about Solarium.  I was just on Oasis and children are allowed to eat in the Bistro, just cannot stay in the pool/lounging area.

I plan on using Solarium for many breakfasts in July.  Only difference between Solarium and Windjammer on Oasis was Solarium did not have the donuts (which were icky anyway).

A

Thanks Max and Ruby (my kids and I loved those books 🙂 ), I look forward to us being able to try it.

27 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Thanks Max and Ruby (my kids and I loved those books 🙂 ), I look forward to us being able to try it.

Your welcome!  Like you, I'll have older children (a 14 and 12 yo).  I think they won't get any "looks" from the other patrons.  This tells you how old my Cruise Critic name is.  Chose it when I first signed up and girls were 5 and 3!  Max and Ruby was well loved in our house!

A

• Like 1

Hi airing, Thanks for the reviews. We were on the same ship and sail date. Anthem sailing on 10/18.

This was our 40th cruise over a variety of ship lines. You did a good job reporting all the details.

So your debarking went smooth on 10/27? 

We booked the Manhattan Highlight Tour with Airport transfer. It fell apart. A large group of us stood out in the sideways rain for over an hour waiting for our bus to arrive for tour. We all had Green stickers with # 38 on them. There were a lot of buses in line, but not for us. They seemed to be all for airport transfers. Why did they send us off ship after waiting in lounge for our tour.

It was chaotic. Bad weather and our bus wasn't there. After hour we were told to wait inside of arrivals where we were yelled at for doing so. A Rep arranged for one of the buses to pick up our group. The Rep said the tour is canceled and we would go directly to airport. He took everyone's name and cabin number and he would file a report and we would all get a refund.

To get on the bus we had to give our stub for excursion. That stub makes it look like we took tour. There was no tour.

The driver said he arrived as a transfer and when his boss let him know we were a group for tour he said there was no tour guide and his boss said to just drive us around and drop us off at airport. There was no tour.

After getting home we wrote a letter to cruise line to give the complete story to add to the report which should have about 30 other guests on it.

For 2 of us we paid $198.00 for tour and transfer. We noticed that the transfer alone would have been $28.50 each.

We have been back 2 weeks and have talked to several different agents. First all they would offer was a $100. credit to a future cruise. Finally today they said they would credit our credit card for $99.00 total. They said there was no report. They said they could have left it at the future cruise credit only. That they were doing us a favor. She also said the transfer is $49. each.

Of course there is so much more that was said between 8:30 sent off ship to the 10:20 that the bus closed the door to drive to airport. It was frustrating. Especially since we always said for many years that Royal Caribbean was our favorite.

Did anyone else experience this and get there money back for this thing that happened as a group?