Braemar Cruise 17th January

July morning

This will be our first time with Fred Olsen.  We thought we'd try it as My husband wanted to sail up the Amazon.  I prebooked our seats today for the flights and it wasn't straight forward!!

Does anyone going on this cruise know if yellow fever vaccine is necessary.  We have previously had this vaccine but the rules seem to change.  I suppose I should check at the Doctors ha ha!

We sailed up the Amazon on the Balmoral in 2012 and had been informed that Yellow Fever vaccinations were mandatory so we duly had them complete with certificates.  However, we discovered that few other passengers had bothered to be inoculated.  Nobody became ill on the journey.

Yellow fever inoculations are now condsidered to last for a liftime so if you have had this before, you do not need it again. Certificates are now apparently continuing to be valid even if it is after the expiry date stated on them. This worked for me last year on a cruise that required a certificate and I was able to use an expired certificate (obviously check this with official sources but I'm pretty sure it's still correct).If you have lost your certificate you can get it reissued if where you got it still has a record, or you have some evidence you have been inoculated.

We were hoping this would be the case.  I still have the original vaccination certificate and can take that with us as you said I will check at the nearby centre who are licenced to administer the vaccine hopefully they can give us the most up to date information.  I asked because I didn't want to seem like an idiot when I went in not knowing anything 😉

Thank you both for your reply.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:08 PM, Coravel said:

However, we discovered that few other passengers had bothered to be inoculated.  Nobody became ill on the journey.

This one isn't just about preventing you from getting ill, it is about proving to subsequent ports that you were vaccinated before you went there to prevent the spread of the disease...

Hi All

I have checked about YF and as we have previously had the vaccination (also over 60) we do not need to get it, we still have our vaccine certificates so we shall take those with us to prove we've "been done" I have made an appointment to check all other vaccines are up to date which I think they are.  I shall also check if we require antimalarial tablets, better to be safe than sorry 😉  

• 3 weeks later...

I've just received a letter from FOCL regarding a cruise we are taking to Central America in January.  It says that unless we have a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate we will not be allowed onboard the ship.  We certainly didn't receive such a letter when we sailed around South America and we were not asked for the certificate when we boarded the ship.