Big NCL OOOPS!

mklak5

I found a great price on a 7 Night western Med cruise yesterday. Called NCL and booked it over the phone. Received my confirmation pretty much immediately... and then... two hours later I recvd a second confirmation with a significant increase in price. I called NCL- and after being on hold for nearly an hour I was told that "someone" incorrectly listed the cruise price on the website- and that "Revenue" will need to determine if they will honor the original price. I will receive a call within 48-72 hours with the verdict. To be clear- I read online where NCL can change the price if there was an incorrect listing... but what I am most upset about is that NCL did not reach out to me directly by phone or explain the change in the second email confirmation. From doing some quick research- I have learned this is the second time in about a week that this has happened with NCL- the first time was with an Alaskan cruise. If they do not honor the price- I will just cancel the booking, get my CruiseNext Certificates back, and wait for another deal to good to pass up... but in the meantime I am really concerned about how what is going on in their IT department... and even more concerned about them not proactively reaching out to me either through email or by phone before changing the price. 

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Please keep me posted what NCL says. I am in the same boat. 

I got a call about an hour ago- they are honoring my price since they said I booked it and put my deposit down before the changes took affect. I told them I don't even see a 7 night sailing for that date (but there is a 3 day listed) and they told me it can be done as a 7 night Barcelona to Barcelona... as well as the overlapping Rome to Rome on the same ship. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Oopses are usually “fixed”. Same with airlines. That “super duper deal” usually isn’t. 

NCL has come through with their customer service! They are honoring the original booking!!! woohoo!!!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mklak5 said:

NCL has come through with their customer service! They are honoring the original booking!!! woohoo!!!

Thanks for the info and congratulations. You did great. And kudos to NCL for honoring  the deal.

• Like 1

My booking has the increased price    Problem is I’m another month in Europe.   So trying to connect with someone at NCL.  Fortunately I don’t really care if I go or not.   I’ve been to these ports multiple times.    

I booked on 10/12 when that unbelievable price for a MX guarantee to Alaska on 9/30/18 was posted on some travel site that sends deals every day.  My TA at cruise-n-more said I really lucked out.  Got a email from NCL today stating they will honor the price.  I couldn't possibly be happier with NCL. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sfaaa said:

And kudos to NCL for honoring  the deal.

Kudos to NCL for charging the price they advertised? Regardless of whether it was an error or not, the customer should pay the price they were booked under. End of story.

It's sad that we have set the bar so low for businesses in this country. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, mklak5 said:

I found a great price on a 7 Night western Med cruise yesterday. Called NCL and booked it over the phone. Received my confirmation pretty much immediately... and then... two hours later I recvd a second confirmation with a significant increase in price. I called NCL- and after being on hold for nearly an hour I was told that "someone" incorrectly listed the cruise price on the website- and that "Revenue" will need to determine if they will honor the original price. I will receive a call within 48-72 hours with the verdict. To be clear- I read online where NCL can change the price if there was an incorrect listing... but what I am most upset about is that NCL did not reach out to me directly by phone or explain the change in the second email confirmation. From doing some quick research- I have learned this is the second time in about a week that this has happened with NCL- the first time was with an Alaskan cruise. If they do not honor the price- I will just cancel the booking, get my CruiseNext Certificates back, and wait for another deal to good to pass up... but in the meantime I am really concerned about how what is going on in their IT department... and even more concerned about them not proactively reaching out to me either through email or by phone before changing the price. 

What was the price you paid for the 7 day Med cruise, room type, thank you

1 hour ago, CruisingNole said:

Kudos to NCL for charging the price they advertised? Regardless of whether it was an error or not, the customer should pay the price they were booked under. End of story.

It's sad that we have set the bar so low for businesses in this country. 

Is this what the law and cruise contract say? And why did you agree to the terms if you have a beef with this? 

6 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Is this what the law and cruise contract say? And why did you agree to the terms if you have a beef with this? 

Oh, I don't question the legality of it one bit. Big corporations are pretty good at making sure their i's are dotted and t's are crossed when it comes to things like that.

Mistakes in advertisements, both in digital and print, are not uncommon. But to charge someone's credit card, provide an invoice, and THEN try to place the burden on the customer because the business made a mistake is a joke.

Could you imagine if a retailer, like Amazon, listed an item for sale on it's website, you purchased it, and then they sent you an email saying "oops, we made a mistake, that $1,000 computer should have been $2,000. You can still have it, but we'll need to charge you another $1,000. Thanks for understanding."

I think it's safe to say that's just a crappy business practice.

27 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Oh, I don't question the legality of it one bit. Big corporations are pretty good at making sure their i's are dotted and t's are crossed when it comes to things like that.

Mistakes in advertisements, both in digital and print, are not uncommon. But to charge someone's credit card, provide an invoice, and THEN try to place the burden on the customer because the business made a mistake is a joke.

Could you imagine if a retailer, like Amazon, listed an item for sale on it's website, you purchased it, and then they sent you an email saying "oops, we made a mistake, that $1,000 computer should have been $2,000. You can still have it, but we'll need to charge you another $1,000. Thanks for understanding."

Well said.  Unfortunately, the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd will never understand the difference between good and poor customer service.  Or maybe they just can't bring themselves to admit that NCL might actually deliver poor customer service at times.  Fortunately, this time NCL did the right thing with respect to customer service.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Nope, the same law applies to your local mom & pop corner store regardless of the size of business. In any event, when you  said you agreed to a contract, you are now bound by the deal terms. No point complaining after the fact you suddenly don't like the deal you voluntary signed on.

Edited by sfaaa

37 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Nope, the same law applies to your local mom & pop corner store regardless of the size of business. In any event, when you  said you agreed to a contract, you are now bound by the deal terms. No point complaining after the fact you suddenly don't like the deal you voluntary signed on.

Wow, my comment went totally over your head. Have a great day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Well said.  Unfortunately, the "NCL can do no wrong" crowd will never understand the difference between good and poor customer service.  Or maybe they just can't bring themselves to admit that NCL might actually deliver poor customer service at times.  Fortunately, this time NCL did the right thing with respect to customer service.

My guess is that they have never run a business or even worked for one. Operating a business with the philosophy that the business is always right, no matter what, is a great way to go OUT of business.

Sometimes, you just have to eat a loss to save what could potentially be a lifetime customer. And God forbid, accept that you made a mistake, make it right, and then move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, PRgymnast said:

That's awesome!  You're the second third person that I've heard that this has happened to.  All of you are happy with how NCL handled! 

I booked the Alaska excellent price and NCL didn't honor my price.  They bluntly said either pay up or cancel.  

17 hours ago, Coasty said:

I booked on 10/12 when that unbelievable price for a MX guarantee to Alaska on 9/30/18 was posted on some travel site that sends deals every day.  My TA at cruise-n-more said I really lucked out.  Got a email from NCL today stating they will honor the price.  I couldn't possibly be happier with NCL. 

Three of my family members also booked on that day...2 directly through NCL and 1 through a travel agent.  NCL is honoring the travel agent booking and not the other 2.  Go figure! Obviously I am NOT happy with the outcome of mine!

Edited by mbglib

52 minutes ago, mbglib said:

Three of my family members also booked on that day...2 directly through NCL and 1 through a travel agent.  NCL is honoring the travel agent booking and not the other 2.  Go figure! Obviously I am NOT happy with the outcome of mine!

If a cruise line pulled that crap with me, I’d never give them a dime for the rest of my life. There are too many other competitors that would gladly take your business.

20 hours ago, Newleno said:

What was the price you paid for the 7 day Med cruise, room type, thank you

I paid $699 PP for the Mini Suite for the 7 night RT West Med Cruise leaving out of Barcelona. my total was $1649 after taxes and fees and I recvd two free at sea (I chose the dining and port credit). I had two CruiseNext Certificates to use- so my balance to pay in January 2020 is $1149. I believe the price listed on the website is now $1699pp for the mini-suite. 

AT what point do folks obviously realize that the price listed is obviously a mistake?  One Dollar?  A Hundred Dollars? for a week long cruise...

Just a question for those saying any price should be honored.