I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

25 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ll give you an example of how strong some dogs are. When I was younger and healthier one of out Dalmatians dragged me about 20 metres along the ground after I fell and he was trying to get help. At that time I was about 120kg, so imagine if instead of being flat on the ground (uneven ground at that) I had been in a chair with wheels.

and then move on to bigger stronger dogs like a Newfoundland

Thank you

On 10/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, John Reid said:

Even certified service dogs are not allowed in chairs or in laps. On a leash on the floor or carried while walking. I made a suggestion once before and got negative feedback. I'll make it again. The ONLY way to stop this entitled charade is to make the reaction to it more of a problem than declining passage to an owner. Stand up in dining and LOUDLY protest. Refuse to be seated anywhere within eyesight of a pet. Get others and flood customer service with the same com[plaint. Schedule an appointment with the hotel director and write down the response for future reference. Remember, the ship may not be able to ask for certification, but passengers can. And there are those, and rightfully so, who feel it would embarrassing to an an actual service dog owner. Don't worry, they are easy to recognize. Not in strollers, not dressed up, not defecating in public places, not barking, not seen alone with different adults, and not being available to be pet. Protest. Be more of a pain to RCCI than they are.

And wearing one of those "service animal" vests.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Understand as I spent 2yrs at Phoenix VA myself with our fellow Veterans. Not sure you realize Royal Caribbean has changed it's policy on ESA as they are no longer allowed on board exception is: Emotional support animals noted on reservations prior to July 30, 2018, are protected and will be allowed to sail.

Unfortunately there will be exceptions to this.

• Thanks 1

We just got off a TA on the Rhapsody of the Sea. Pleasant cruise except for the amount of dogs that were on this ship. There were at least 4 of them and they seem to be everywhere. I debated whether or not to even post this as I'm sure it will bring some negative comments from  dog lovers, but I feel I have to make my point. This can be posted probably on any cruise lines boards, but since we cruised RCCL, here it will be. 

This really has nothing to do with us not really caring about dogs or other animals, but when we cruise, and we have been on about 25, this was the first time we have ever encountered dogs on a cruise. Now I fully understand the term 'service animals' and the need to have these animals as a support system, but I can assure you that none of these dogs were legitimate service animals. These were people who just didn't want to leave their little pets home and all they need to do is go online, to any of several sites, register their animal as a service animal and viola, according to RCCL they are now allowed to bring them along while cruising.

OK, so let me back up a bit. These dogs were all over the ship, from the buffet, to the theater, to one dog occupying his own chair by the pool, to just strolling along on the deck as if they are out for a walk in the park. I am slightly handicapped, in that I use a cane to walk along. Coming out of the theater, I almost tripped on a dog leach where the dog was almost 20 feel from their owner. We went out on deck to sit and there was a dog wandering along, NOT on a leach, with it's owner about 10 feet behind. When he heard us make a comment, he quickly scooped up the dog. We did complain to guest services, to the officer in charge, but all he could do was to tell us he would speak to the owners to keep a better hold on the dogs. 

My main point to him and to others, if we do not want to be around cigarette smoke, we have smoke free areas on ships, if we don't want to be around children there are adult only areas where we can go, so if we don't want to be around dogs, where do we go? They have full range of the entire ship. My DW is sensitive to dog hairs, so how do we even know our cabin wasn't inhabited by a dog on a cruise before us. How do we know a dog wasn't on a deck chair we might want to sit on? We just feel IF a dog is a true service animal there should be an area on the ship where they are required to stay. 

Believe me, we weren't the only ones complaining about this, there were many others who weren't happy to be walking the promenade deck dogging dogs. We met others who also noticed dogs on long leashes and who also complained to guest services. So we knew we weren't the only ones who felt this way.  We were so upset at this situation that it basically ruined a lot of our cruise, as my DW was afraid to sit in places she feared dogs had been. So call us what you will. I am not an animal over to begin with, but again, these were NOT service animals. As a veteran, I fully understand the need for emotional support animals. These were  just pets, that people wanted to bring along, and knew, with a piece of paper, easily available on the internet, they can now bring their pets on their cruises and claim they are service animals. What next, pigs. Sorry I couldn't resist. My DW had a great suggestion though, charge these people an extra fee, like $250 to fumigate their cabins when they leave so others won't be affected by any lingering odors. 

Cheers

Len

• Like 8

People who game the system so that they can bring their pets on a cruise are also of the same ilk as those who but in lines, "reserve" their pool lounger until they are good and ready to use it, touch food on the buffet and then put it back, wear their baseball cap on backwards in the MDR, let their feral children run loose on the ship, smoke on their balconies, and disrepect the hardworking crew with unreasonable demand,...you know, low class clods.

All passengers need to complain loudly to corporate and on the end of cruise survey.  Otherwise, our complacency is taken as approval.  If we all hadn't complained about smokers polluting our breathable air, smoking would still be rampant on board.

• Like 1

Just now, voyager70 said:

Wish this thread would just go away.  Nothing productive being posted anymore.

Never has been anything productive posted on it, but someone decided to start a new thread in the topic and powers to be merged the threads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

My DW had a great suggestion though, charge these people an extra fee, like $250 to fumigate their cabins when they leave so others won't be affected by any lingering odors. 

I think the cruise ship should charge a pet fee equivalent to a 3rd or 4th person's regardless of legitimate or non-legitimated service pet.  And people travel with pet(s) should stay in "pet-friendly" cabins.  

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Wish this thread would just go away.  Nothing productive being posted anymore.

23 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I think the cruise ship should charge a pet fee equivalent to a 3rd or 4th person's regardless of legitimate or non-legitimated service pet.  And people travel with pet(s) should stay in "pet-friendly" cabins.  

Q.E.D.

13 minutes ago, deepcman said:

What service does this dog provide? Someone definately needs help.

20181225_210615.jpg

Ahh...  let me guess.

In this case, the human is the ESA.   The dog is disable.😃

Edited by CeCe_

3 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I cant judge, could be one of a dozen services it provides. And most are NOT emotional support

That’s way too hard for some to understand unfortunately.

all some people want to d is judge others.

• Like 1