Main Dinning Room on the Bliss

klarson1027

We are going on the Bliss early February and wondering if anyone has a menu on what they offer each night? Will we be disappointed if we don't do any of the special dining? This is our first NCL cruise. We have been on 4 cruises all with Carnival. We are excited to try this cruise line. TIA

NCL uses 14 different main dining room menus that they rotate through. The menus for each night are selected in advance by the executive chef and provisioned for each cruise. So you can’t really plan ahead  

The menus have “classic” dishes that appear each night so that you can always get a steak, fish, pasta, vegetarian dish. 

Then specials of the night. 

NCL updates their menus a few weeks back with a few new dishes. Example main dining room menus can be found on our Alskan live post below. 

There is absolutely no reason to spend money on Specialty Dining. The MDRs are fine. 

Freestyle dining means eat when you want, where you want, when it fits your schedule. 

I don't think Specialty Dining is so great that you'll regret skipping them.  MDR food is perfectly fine.  The buffet isn't bad either.  There's not as much stuff as the ads suggest, but I thought it was on par with MDR quality.  Compared to other lines, in just my personal opinion, the buffet is better than most other lines but the MDR is worse than most other lines.  Perfectly adequate food tho.  I always found at least 1 item I enjoyed.

Welcome to NCL, we have really enjoyed our cruises with the line.

A few things that caught my attention in your posts: Carnival cruise experience, big group, dinner reservations

I'm not sure how big a group you have, but NCL is freestyle, there isn't a need for everyone to eat dinner together every night. I imagine a set time for dinner is expected on Carnival, but not on NCL. Perhaps book group dinners a few nights, but other nights let people decide for themselves: there are several MDRs, the Pub is also a full service restaurant that may have a special dinner night (prime rib night) or just offer a casual meal and environment and there's always the buffet.

I tend to make reservations for certain nights: Day 1, holidays and sea days basically days all for MDRs, we go to each at least once per cruise.

I hope our experience helps you decide how to plan your cruise.

If you contact special events (all on word including ship name at NCL dot com) with the date, location, preferred time and number of people special events will make the reservations on behalf of your group. It took approximately theee weeks for special events to coordinate our dinner reservations for a party of thirteen.  I did specialty, MDR, Taste and Savor in my request. I did list multiple locations and two times on my email to ease the booking. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, madre2 said:

So we have 6 in our family.     Please tell me about how to make reservations. We have never sailed NCL before.  Ugh.  What else should I be doing?  We sail next September 

Go on the NCL website and log into your cruise. There is a place to make reservations for dining and shows.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, klarson1027 said:

We are going on the Bliss early February and wondering if anyone has a menu on what they offer each night? Will we be disappointed if we don't do any of the special dining? This is our first NCL cruise. We have been on 4 cruises all with Carnival. We are excited to try this cruise line. TIA

Yes, I would say you will be disappointed if you don't try one of the specialty restaurants. The food and service are much better. I had great meals at La Cucina, Los Lobos, Q barbecue and Cagneys. Food Republic is great too. It depends on what you like on vacation. Do you live to eat? Or eat to live? The buffet isn't bad and the main dining is meh but ok. Do you prefer to spend a few bucks and have a great meal or spend nothing and get blah.

I have never eaten I in a Specialty restaurant on NCL. I have had my numerous wonderful meals on board NCL. I wouldn't use disappointment if you skip the specialties. I would think of them as an extra treat. 

With my cruise fare I have already paid for lovely meals in various complimentary restaurants. Paying extra to eat hasn't risen to the level of must have vs. a spa pass or excursion treat. Someday maybe that will change, but NCL dining rooms just have not fallen to the level of a disappointment for me.

Happy planning!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, Mac4YYZ said:

Yes, I would say you will be disappointed if you don't try one of the specialty restaurants. The food and service are much better. I had great meals at La Cucina, Los Lobos, Q barbecue and Cagneys. Food Republic is great too. It depends on what you like on vacation. Do you live to eat? Or eat to live? The buffet isn't bad and the main dining is meh but ok. Do you prefer to spend a few bucks and have a great meal or spend nothing and get blah.

We eat specialty at least 2 or 3 nights. It really takes the experience to another level and so enjoyable.

Ended up going to Taste and Savor for breakfasts and a dinner....never disappointed! My supper was French Onion soup, a steak, a potato and mixed veg, and a scrumptious desert.  Was filing! Did La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Cagneys for specialty meals and Cagneys was weak.  The worst dinner was at the buffet.......the food was good but when gauged against the others it paled in comparison.  THE BUFFET WAS GOOD,  so please dont think I didnt like it..........simple, good, consistent

We went to three specialty restaurants, and the only one I would have been disappointed missing was Teppenyaki. The filet was really good, and I had him make me soon extra garlic butter to pour on top. The steak rivaled many I have had on a ship. The salad was fantastic also. I wish I knew what type of bright green lettuce that was added in that salad.   I never really found any good fish at any restaurant.  The Local did have good fish and chips though.