Bon Voyage Program - Thoughts??

mikjr

Has anyone  participated in the BON VOYAGE PROGRAM??   Wondering how it was??

We bought the package for our daughter and her husband, so they will BOARD the STAR with us, and then we'll all have lunch in one of the dining rooms.  I believe they also get a photograph of the event.   Unfortunately... they will have to get OFF about 3PM.

I've hosted family and friends on BVE's, and it's wonderful!  Be sure to have your reservations linked so you can board together, which will be early.  We've always been given multiple copies of the boarding photo, not just one copy for the BVE guest, but I imagine that could go either way.  If they want, they can buy a Future Cruise Deposit, but as I've never done that, I don't know the exact details.

We have done it around 8 times and its always been a nice time. Our family and friends seem to enjoy their time on board. We have a nice lunch in the dining room, they get a glass of wine and a picture. 

You can either take the formal tour or walk around yourself. They are able to enjoy anything open on the ship from pools, to all food venues and bars open. 

3 minutes ago, mikjr said:

We bought the package for our daughter and her husband, so they will BOARD the STAR with us, and then we'll all have lunch in one of the dining rooms.  I believe they also get a photograph of the event.   Unfortunately... they will have to get OFF about 3PM.

The program also called BVE is a great way to be able to board early if your booked on the cruise & if not it’s a way to see a ship plus it’s a great deal, boarding photo, lunch in the MDR with wine & a chance to go around the ship. 

I recently did a BVE on the Grand. I was a great experience. The person that I went with enjoyed the day Immensely. We went upto deck 12 where their was some mini suites opened & the steward let us go in & look around. We also went to deck 10 so that they could see a stateroom with a larger balcony. 

I took them up to the disco & we danced using music from my IPhone. People watched us as we danced. Later we danced in the atrium. 

We were told to be off the ship by 2:30 pm which we complied with but someone else posted that they stayed until 3 pm until they were asked to leave.  

I’ve done 3 in one month before so I could add the 3 BVE’s as a credit for a cruise that I was going to book. 

Any BVE is a great way to spend part of a day. Where could you get a 5* meal with wine for $39?

Tom😎

We love the BVE program!! On our holiday cruise we have a few family members joining us. They get a photo (make sure their BVE sticker is showing or they won’t print the photo) twice we’ve had to get the photo for them and given it to them after our cruise.

They will get a glass of wine or beer with lunch in the MDR. 

They are allowed to stay on board until 2:30 in San Francisco for a 4 pm departure. We’ve had up till 3 before as well. We enjoy having family join us. They usually hate to leave. They have to enter a credit card so they can charge drinks as they go too. 

If they want they can pay for a future cruise deposit and use the $39 fee towards a future cruise if booked within 60 or 90 days of the BVE.

44 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

I've hosted family and friends on BVE's, and it's wonderful!  Be sure to have your reservations linked so you can board together, which will be early.  We've always been given multiple copies of the boarding photo, not just one copy for the BVE guest, but I imagine that could go either way.  If they want, they can buy a Future Cruise Deposit, but as I've never done that, I don't know the exact details.

WOW, I should probably CALL Princess tomorrow to make sure we're linked.  I'm the one who called and made the initial booking, so we should be linked... but I found that many of the REPS at Princess don't know much about the BVE.  Our Travel Agent had to speak to a couple different ones before he found someone who knew what was going on.  A bit frustrating!!

7 minutes ago, mikjr said:

WOW, I should probably CALL Princess tomorrow to make sure we're linked.  I'm the one who called and made the initial booking, so we should be linked... but I found that many of the REPS at Princess don't know much about the BVE.  Our Travel Agent had to speak to a couple different ones before he found someone who knew what was going on.  A bit frustrating!!

I think there's actually a Bon Voyage Experience department.  Make sure you ask to be transferred to them.  

WOW All! Finally got in to CC....not tech savy...1st post! We were on BVE Saturday 10/20/18 San Pedro to Hawaii 15 day on Star Princess. Just a great experience. Great lunch, great staff in Portifino dining room. Just amazes me...Platinum on Princess & never have seen on board Princess staff without a smile The excitement on board was amazing. Would highly recommend if you can do BVE, & get to port early enough.

My take...boarding at San Pedro, this day, was  easy, all know about BVE pre boarding. Absolutely clueless on board. Given Future cruise deposit form. FCD office doesn't open until 4:30. Sailing at 4, we're off at 2:30. So, get really good help at customer service desk. Really nice & busy people who really go above & beyond to help out. Finally, they come up with answer...good example of teamwork....but no FCD confirmation yet....5 days later...Star in Hilo.

Sooo...if you want the excitement of pre-cruise, & can do BVE....do it!

Just out of curiosity, do other cruise lines offer a BVE experience or similar? Norwegian Bliss was at San Pedro on 10/20 & left for Mexican Riviera about 20 minutes before Star Princess for Hawaii. Would loved to be on it, even though it's crazy big, 4000+.

Rather be on Star Princess, 2600. But with Royal Princess coming to LA 2019, & Bliss....whatcha think?

21 minutes ago, fascination1 said:

WOW All! Finally got in to CC....not tech savy...1st post! We were on BVE Saturday 10/20/18 San Pedro to Hawaii 15 day on Star Princess. Just a great experience. Great lunch, great staff in Portifino dining room. Just amazes me...Platinum on Princess & never have seen on board Princess staff without a smile The excitement on board was amazing. Would highly recommend if you can do BVE, & get to port early enough.

My take...boarding at San Pedro, this day, was  easy, all know about BVE pre boarding. Absolutely clueless on board. Given Future cruise deposit form. FCD office doesn't open until 4:30. Sailing at 4, we're off at 2:30. So, get really good help at customer service desk. Really nice & busy people who really go above & beyond to help out. Finally, they come up with answer...good example of teamwork....but no FCD confirmation yet....5 days later...Star in Hilo.

Sooo...if you want the excitement of pre-cruise, & can do BVE....do it!

I wouldn't worry.  As long as the FCD form got to the right person they will do it.  I would worry if come the end of the cruise you haven't gotten the email.  You also could have just dropped the form in the box and put your cabin as BVE

14 minutes ago, fascination1 said:

We went on BVE with friends cruising LA (San Pedro) to Hawaii. Found out about BVE thru CC, thanks all. Question....do you have to be invited by cruiser, or can you just call Princess direct & go? If the later, really good way to explore Royal in 2019

No, you don't need to know anyone on the cruise to do a BVE.  

On 10/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, mikjr said:

I’ve done a BVE 7-8 times. Yes, you get a professional photograph. Lunch includes a beverage such as wine or soda at no extra charge. You have complete run of the ship, can book an FCC, etc. There’ll be an announcement at about 3pm that visitors should leave. Don’t forget to go to the photo desk to get your photos. The last call for visitors is usually just before Muster. 

Its a win-win as the $39/pp is applied as a credit on the person’s Captain’s Circle account as a credit towards payment for a future cruise. 

1 hour ago, fascination1 said:

Just out of curiosity, do other cruise lines offer a BVE experience or similar? Norwegian Bliss was at San Pedro on 10/20 & left for Mexican Riviera about 20 minutes before Star Princess for Hawaii. Would loved to be on it, even though it's crazy big, 4000+.

Rather be on Star Princess, 2600. But with Royal Princess coming to LA 2019, & Bliss....whatcha think?

The only ships that do a BVE are ones originating in that port.  If the ship is just making a port stop, it's not available.  And AFAIK, NCL doesn't offer anything like the BVE, which seems to be unique to Princess (of the mainstream lines).

8 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

I’ve done a BVE 7-8 times. Yes, you get a professional photograph. Lunch includes a beverage such as wine or soda at no extra charge. You have complete run of the ship, can book an FCC, etc. There’ll be an announcement at about 3pm that visitors should leave. Don’t forget to go to the photo desk to get your photos. The last call for visitors is usually just before Muster. 

Its a win-win as the $39/pp is applied as a credit on the person’s Captain’s Circle account as a credit towards payment for a future cruise. 

I believe you have to book a cruise within 90 days in order to apply the $39 BVE cost to it.  But still a good deal even if you don't book soon enough.

3 hours ago, fascination1 said:

We went on BVE with friends cruising LA (San Pedro) to Hawaii. Found out about BVE thru CC, thanks all. Question....do you have to be invited by cruiser, or can you just call Princess direct & go? If the later, really good way to explore Royal in 2019

You contact Princess & tell them that you want to sign up for the BVE, Bon Voyage Experience.  If other people that you know are going on the cruise make sure that their conformation numbers are linked with yours so everyone can board together. 

Another plus with the BVE is that if you’re going on the cruise & friends do the BVE with you, you get to board early with them. They give you a card that says “Friends of BVE”. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

51 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

The only ships that do a BVE are ones originating in that port.  If the ship is just making a port stop, it's not available.  And AFAIK, NCL doesn't offer anything like the BVE, which seems to be unique to Princess (of the mainstream lines).

I believe you have to book a cruise within 90 days in order to apply the $39 BVE cost to it.  But still a good deal even if you don't book soon enough.

FYI...The Coral was making a port stop in San Francisco & when I called Princess they were offering a BVE which I booked for a visiting cousin & myself & friends. 

Yes...you have to book a cruise within 90 days of taking the BVE to get the $39 credit towards the cruise costs. Remember it das to be a new booking not an existing booking to get the credit.  

Yes it’s a great way to visit a ship & have 5* meal. 

Tom

Edited by trbarton

Thanks for feedback, all. Will learn a bit for next time, don't get off until announcement to get off is made (would have given us about 20 minutes more on board..or a bit more). Trbarton, agree, great way to visit ship...& a 4.75 meal , with a 5.0 in ambiance to connect with friends & avoid crazy buffet! Pam in CA...did get the great photos for us....& for our friends on cruise...gratis! Like what....$200 if we paid for it? Just kidding of course, but the photos, lunch, being on Star Princess for a few hours, getting off, watching sail away & parking for $12....& $39 each BVE on an absolutely great So California day....who could ask for anything more? Yup...I know...on the Star to Hawaii...but, beside that?

Tom, I didn't know the BVE was available on port stops.  I would have thought they would need check-in facilities to process the BVE passengers into the system.  They must bring in some special personnel to check them in.  Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that any cruise lines allowed this. Just booked my sister for this experience. She is driving us to the ship and we planned to have lunch with her before boarding. Now we will board earlier and enjoy a fabulous lunch together in the ships dining room. As it turns out, today is the last day we could have booked this for our sailing.

I was finally able to get back onto cruise critic today-kept signing in and getting kicked off-timely indeed. Thank you posters, you made this experience possible for us. I learn the best cruising info here on Cruise Critic. Not a newbie but I learn something new all the time. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Do folks doing the BVE get to board early, or just get to board at the regular time of the person that they are linked to (i.e. if they are doing the BVE with someone who is Elite, they go when the Elite passengers board, but if they are doing the BVE with a Gold member, then they board with the Gold passengers)?

On 10/17/2018 at 9:37 PM, trbarton said:

The program also called BVE is a great way to be able to board early if your booked on the cruise & if not it’s a way to see a ship plus it’s a great deal, boarding photo, lunch in the MDR with wine & a chance to go around the ship. 

I recently did a BVE on the Grand. I was a great experience. The person that I went with enjoyed the day Immensely. We went upto deck 12 where their was some mini suites opened & the steward let us go in & look around. We also went to deck 10 so that they could see a stateroom with a larger balcony. 

I took them up to the disco & we danced using music from my IPhone. People watched us as we danced. Later we danced in the atrium. 

We were told to be off the ship by 2:30 pm which we complied with but someone else posted that they stayed until 3 pm until they were asked to leave.  

I’ve done 3 in one month before so I could add the 3 BVE’s as a credit for a cruise that I was going to book. 

Any BVE is a great way to spend part of a day. Where could you get a 5* meal with wine for $39?

Tom😎

Decided to add some photos so you could see some things. 

As a post thought. I went with someone who has cruised before but never taken a BVE so I didn’t know what their reaction would be. WOW...They really has a great time & stil talks about it with family & friends. You can tell by the smile 😀 on their face.  I convinced them to put in for a FCC certificate & we’re thinking about doing a costal cruise 🚢 on the Grand that goes from San Francisco to Astoria, Ore, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria & then back to San Francisco, a 7 day cruise. 

Yes it’s a great way to spend a day plus if you book a cruise within 90 days your BVE is free. 

Tom😎

91F9DE1C-3597-4569-978C-DE413A4FABE1.jpeg

DEB602B0-1476-4F9A-B14E-B67B7853FF6A.jpeg

3F179209-49FE-4D7B-BF4B-AB5AD8DCDBFE.jpeg

BB60F1C8-D58E-46AA-A36D-CDE98990653F.jpeg

93FA4989-D4DA-4681-81A9-25DD971DE9B5.jpeg

8DDF5C5B-23BD-419F-B23D-BC7D7B854126.jpeg

9929F7C2-F8D5-438D-902C-7D5709EDD3C3.jpeg

C40CED13-582A-41AC-B995-029ED38FA16B.jpeg

9C6143ED-3570-4214-98A4-06725DC18555.jpeg

Edited by trbarton