Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
laumicmah

Just off the Horizon

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the info and pictures! We are on the same itinerary on the Horizon in December.

 

What night was the white party?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ron_L said:

Thanks for the info and pictures! We are on the same itinerary on the Horizon in December.

 

What night was the white party?

4th night. Was night of San Juan port day.

Edited by laumicmah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, laumicmah said:

4th night. Was night of San Juan port day.

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I will be on the Horizon December 1st and we LOVE movies !  Do you remember which films were being shown on the Dive In ??  Thanks for any information you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband will know. I'll ask him tonight. He looked at them a couple times and we had wanted to watch one but never made it up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

laumicmah,   Thank you for your review.  Some well worth heeding advice too.

 

We're sailing along with jem77bfp in January and are NOT planning on going to the MDR many nights even though we have seated dining.  DW likes to go the 1t night and the 2 elegant nights ( or which ever night has the grand marnier soufflé).  I' pretty sure we'll rarely venture above deck 5, except for JiJis and Cucina, as we're in a Havana cabin. 

 

I've heard both good and spotty on the Havana deck bar, can you opine?

On an early cruise on the Vista, the Havana deck area had Cuban coffee and some breakfast items.  I hear these aren't available on the Horizon and may no longer be on the Vista.  Did you see any menus on the Havana deck.

 

Probably no need to go up to the Serenity deck, if on the Havana deck, but the Vista's Serenity had great salad bars at lunch on sea days.  And I enjoyed the lobster rolls at the Seafood Shack.

 

Grand Turk appears to be rapidly becoming a "Been There, Got the Tee" kind of port.  Really a bit sad as at one time there were a number of spots along the beach between Margaritaville and Jacks, plus Governors Beach had some limited facilities.  All gone now.   

 

Debarkation seems to get to everyone.  You either don't want to get off and they seem to rush you to long lines; or if you do it seems to take forever because everyone else is rushing off too. 

 

We're trying an off port parking site this time, 2/3rds the cost of port parking.  Not sure how it will go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

laumicmah,   Thank you for your review.  Some well worth heeding advice too.

 

We're sailing along with jem77bfp in January and are NOT planning on going to the MDR many nights even though we have seated dining.  DW likes to go the 1t night and the 2 elegant nights ( or which ever night has the grand marnier soufflé).  I' pretty sure we'll rarely venture above deck 5, except for JiJis and Cucina, as we're in a Havana cabin. 

 

I've heard both good and spotty on the Havana deck bar, can you opine?

On an early cruise on the Vista, the Havana deck area had Cuban coffee and some breakfast items.  I hear these aren't available on the Horizon and may no longer be on the Vista.  Did you see any menus on the Havana deck.

 

Probably no need to go up to the Serenity deck, if on the Havana deck, but the Vista's Serenity had great salad bars at lunch on sea days.  And I enjoyed the lobster rolls at the Seafood Shack.

 

Grand Turk appears to be rapidly becoming a "Been There, Got the Tee" kind of port.  Really a bit sad as at one time there were a number of spots along the beach between Margaritaville and Jacks, plus Governors Beach had some limited facilities.  All gone now.   

 

Debarkation seems to get to everyone.  You either don't want to get off and they seem to rush you to long lines; or if you do it seems to take forever because everyone else is rushing off too. 

 

We're trying an off port parking site this time, 2/3rds the cost of port parking.  Not sure how it will go.

I did not see any food menus in the Havana. They did have coffee set up in there in the mornings. Not sure what kind was in it. Around the corner, though, in the ocean plaza was a buffet with breakfast (where we ate most mornings) and lunch (never looked at it for lunch as we enjoyed the Guy's BBQ (around the corner from there) and the wok up above Lido and Guy's Burger on Lido pool deck and the Seafood Shack on Tides pool Lido area (also pizza was good one day).

 

Have fun. We're sailing out of Baltimore in January on Royal. We booked a 3 night dining package to get the specialty places since we saw how good they were on Horizon (I know different cruise line but figure it's all about the same). Good to try off site parking. I don't think I mentioned in my review how expensive the parking was. Nearly choked when we paid the ticket as we left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy. Royal.  If on your ship, try Vintages.  Great tapas and a very nice wine selection both stand alone and for sharing varieties.   Also 150 Central.  Chops is good but didn't hold up to Carnival's Steakhouse, IMO.  The Asian place is good, too. More traditional Japanese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in interior 7457 and no noise. The week we went the wrist bands for Havana were brown. No problems with disembark, I had read on here that once they are docked, if you're doing self disembark, you can go on down and they will let you off (before they've called for you). So we were among the first off the ship and had no issues. The sooner they can get people off, the better.

 

In Grand Turk, I like to go to the pool at Margaritaville. If you get there early you can snag and umbrella and chill all day.

 

Also, I found the Serenity area much more pleasant and the furniture comfortable than the Havana area. We stayed on the ship all week and on port days, hung out in Serenity instead. But on sea days, we did stay in Havana all day.

 

Another little tid bit. If you have Havana, you probably don't need a weekly spa pass. It's on the other end of the ship and with no thalassotherapy pool, it was a let down after sailing on Magic prior.

 

Sorry to hi jack your thread, but thought others might like to hear another take. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im on Vista, sister to your ship, and I hope we have the BBQ, I didnt think to look on deck 5 of the deck plans, thanks for that note.

 

As far as the bars playing sports people watch, its always wierd to me, like who wants to watch soccer in the buffet area tv? I think they put on what employees like not what americans like.

 

the slides that require a employee I find are always closed on port days. I think they always give employees the day off, so that too wasnt a surprise.

 

thanks for the tips. sounds like they moved stuf around like the mongolian wok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Guys Pig and Anchor and Smokehouse BBQ listed on deck 5 :)

 

Is this a pay option or something different than the BBQ on Valor? What is Pig & Anchor BBQ smokehouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I see Guys Pig and Anchor and Smokehouse BBQ listed on deck 5 🙂

 

Is this a pay option or something different than the BBQ on Valor? What is Pig & Anchor BBQ smokehouse?

The indoor Pig and ANchor is a bar with a pub menu that is pay extra. Then outside is the BBQ window that is free but only open lunch on seadays (and late docking in port days). 

 

The Wok is up above aft Lido, tucked away. It's a pay Asian restaurant for dinner and free Wok for lunch (you order at table). And there is an Italian place up there too, free pasta bar for lunch and pay Italian for dinner. At least...on the Horizon it's set up like this.

Edited by laumicmah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 9:28 AM, alexmom said:

My husband and I will be on the Horizon December 1st and we LOVE movies !  Do you remember which films were being shown on the Dive In ??  Thanks for any information you can provide.

We could only remember 2...Ready Player 1 and Avengers Infinity War. Sorry. I think there was a horror movie too (for Halloween theme) cause I remember saying something to my friends that it might be too scary for their kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please reiterate the changes in rooms you would do to be away from the bar noise? I think you mentioned any deck 8 inside, Do you have any other room suggestions in the Havana area that would be quiet?    We have never done a Carnival cruise.....but since seeing the Havana area it is really on my bucket list to try.   They look awesome 🙂

Edited by Bellacruz54
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bellacruz54 said:

Could you please reiterate the changes in rooms you would do to be away from the bar noise? I think you mentioned any deck 8 inside, Do you have any other room suggestions in the Havana area that would be quiet?    We have never done a Carnival cruise.....but since seeing the Havana area it is really on my bucket list to try.   They look awesome 🙂

Just wouldn't do 6470 or 6465 (they are the only 2 inside Havana on deck 6). On deck 5, cabana cabin or inside, I'd go as close to the elevators and ocean plaza as possible. So I, personally, would never do the inside 5230 or 5229 nor would I do cabanas 5228, 5232, 5338, 5340, 5227, 5231, 5237, 5239. And I'd aim for as close to elevators as possible (though maybe not very first next to elevators...JMO). Deck 7 or higher, I'd do any. And the cabana suites on deck 5, even though they are close to band stage, I'd still do because they are soooooo SWEET. I may also do any of the aft extended balconies, even deck 6 cause those ore also SWEET.

Edited by laumicmah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jenjer said:

We have a cabana rented too and I am a little worried about that. We rented it so FIL could hang out in it while we swim and kids flow ride. My expectations of Grand Turk are pretty low right now.

We have been to Turks and Caicos numerous times and love it every time. The flow rider has always been open when we have been there and the line ups have not been that bad either.  The pool area at the Margaritaville is great (yes the drinks can be pricey but hey its Margaritaville!)...  just remember "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes"! 

We have never had a problem finding a chair on the beach and down the beach a bit is Jacks Shack as well. A fabulous place! We will be on Horizon in January and I look very forward to this stop every time..it has never disappointed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sayvan said:

We have been to Turks and Caicos numerous times and love it every time. The flow rider has always been open when we have been there and the line ups have not been that bad either.  The pool area at the Margaritaville is great (yes the drinks can be pricey but hey its Margaritaville!)...  just remember "changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes"! 

We have never had a problem finding a chair on the beach and down the beach a bit is Jacks Shack as well. A fabulous place! We will be on Horizon in January and I look very forward to this stop every time..it has never disappointed! 

When is the last time you were there? We had a great visit not long ago too. But I heard that hurricane damaged a lot, making water rocky and the locals took over from CCL and they now are in charge. The free chairs now are very few. They set up pop up canopy things with tables and sell stuff like drinks and snacks and chairs and snorkel gear. The wild dogs are rampant. The seaweed layer is just as you walk in the water (with the rocks). It's a lot different than just 2-3 years ago.

Edited by laumicmah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, laumicmah said:

Just wouldn't do 6470 or 6465 (they are the only 2 inside Havana on deck 6). On deck 5, cabana cabin or inside, I'd go as close to the elevators and ocean plaza as possible. So I, personally, would never do the inside 5230 or 5229 nor would I do cabanas 5228, 5232, 5338, 5340, 5227, 5231, 5237, 5239. And I'd aim for as close to elevators as possible (though maybe not very first next to elevators...JMO). Deck 7 or higher, I'd do any. And the cabana suites on deck 5, even though they are close to band stage, I'd still do because they are soooooo SWEET. I may also do any of the aft extended balconies, even deck 6 cause those ore also SWEET.

Thank you for your suggestions and reply! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...