Specialty Dining Reservations on the Dawn

Gampy1967

We are 157 days out from our cruise in a suite on the Dawn.  When I looked online, under dining it mentioned that it was too early to book dining reservations (which I was already aware of).  When I clicked on the little info button, it mentioned that I needed to come back on 11/24/18 to make the dining reservations, which is 120 days from our departure.  I thought that early specialty dining booking for suites was 130 days out not the standard 120 days.  At 130 days will the computer realize I am in a suite an allow me to book online or am I going to have to call to make my reservations. 

Thanks.

It's 130 days out for suites. We hit 130 days yesterday (on the Dawn) and I made some reservations. It was not the best experience. 

First of all, I couldn't make any reservations online for Wednesday (by the evening, things were available). When I tried to make reservations, the only time I could get a reservation for three people was 8:30 or 9:00. So I just made all of our reservations for four people at 7:00. There were no reservations available for 6:00 or 6:30 for any number of people (and this was at 6:15 in the morning on the first day reservations opened up). 

When I called the concierge desk to make Wednesday reservations, I got a rude person who had no idea about dining on NCL. She told me that if I booked for four people at La Cucina I would have to pay for four people. I tried to explain the a la carte thing, but I gave up. When I told her we planned on using the dining package and our Platinum dinners, she argued with me about whether or not the third person in our cabin was going to receive her Platinum dinner (she is -- it is on the NCL FAQ site). 

So, when you do book, don't plan on all the times being available and if you call, don't expect the person you are talking with to know what they are talking about. Things can be changed once you are on the ship -- that is what we plan on doing. 

13 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Suites are 130 days out from your cruise and the computer will realize you are in a suite and allow you to make reservations.

That is what I thought.  I was signed in when I was looking.  That is why I was surprised that it said to come back at 120 days out and not 130.  We shall see on 11/14 (130 days out).  Worst case I will simply call.

I don't know about how far out a reservation request can be made, but I have several times tried to book restaurant reservations to only find  that the day I wanted wasn't even listed, much less having any reasonable times available.  That included an attempt today for a cruise that's 116 days out.  However, for the second time I've used this, I just  emailed the concierge desk with my request.  And again the response came back within just a few hours confirming my reservation has now been made.   I think an email beats a phone call.   

We leave next week on the Dawn. Booked reservations second day available. Times were awful and many days not even showing. This is the first time I have had this problem. Hoping to rebook with better times and days once on board.

Having my first NCL on the Bliss----ran into same problem, three specialty meals booked for not what I really wanted at crazy times....but was told by an expert cruiser that 50 percent of the reservations are pre cruise 50 percent when you board??? Is that true--if so why lousy pre cruise reservations?

How does the 'a la carte' thing work with the specialty dining package? I was looking to book for our cruise in December (I know I'm not planning way ahead like some of you) and the only 2 restaurants that aren't 'a la carte' are Teppanyaki and Moderno. So what do we do with the other dinner? 

23 hours ago, jjlen11 said:

Having my first NCL on the Bliss----ran into same problem, three specialty meals booked for not what I really wanted at crazy times....but was told by an expert cruiser that 50 percent of the reservations are pre cruise 50 percent when you board??? Is that true--if so why lousy pre cruise reservations?

It's actual 1/3 are available ahead of time, not 1/2.

28 minutes ago, AlaskaAtLast said:

How does the 'a la carte' thing work with the specialty dining package? I was looking to book for our cruise in December (I know I'm not planning way ahead like some of you) and the only 2 restaurants that aren't 'a la carte' are Teppanyaki and Moderno. So what do we do with the other dinner? 

You can book restaurants that are either a la carte or fixed price with your dining package.

We booked our 3 specialty meals- La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Cagneys prior to boarding for fear of others saying they couldn’t get reservations. All were fantastic.... albeit the times. With the specialty dining package, you get advised how to order....and I did see the ala cart pricing.... where I believe I made the best deal was prepaying the gratuities... read the fine print in the menu if not....and for exceptional service I gave the wait staff addl gratuity! Otherwise I think I would have passed out for the added charges at checkout!