Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
webecruzin2

20% off Upgrade Classic to Premium where's the savings?

Recommended Posts

Just received an offer on our upcoming cruise to upgrade our Classic beverage package to Premium for 20% off, but when I go in to price it the upgrade would cost $13.22 per day pp which is basically the difference between if I had originally purchased the Premium package at $69.00 instead of the Classic at $55.00.  What am I missing here?

And btw how do I change my signature on here

 

Edited by webecruzin2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the full price upgrade is $14 a day plus gratuity.  I see a savings there myself with your quote.  Do the math, take $14, take away 20%, add in 18% Grats...there's your figure.  $13.22

Edited by PTC DAWG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To upgrade at full price is $14 per day plus 18% gratuity =$16.52.  Your 20% discount brings that to the $13.22 per day.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is there...

Would you care to expand on your thinking about this, so we can follow along?

bon voyage

btw you can edit your signature and most other things related to your postings and profiles through account settings.

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

 

I thought that if you had the classic package you pay the full price of any drink over the price limit.  But if you have the premium package you only pay the difference. 

So unless that has changed and it's pay the difference for the classic package now, then you could wind up spending a lot of your OBC on drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sbt518 said:

 

I thought that if you had the classic package you pay the full price of any drink over the price limit.  But if you have the premium package you only pay the difference. 

So unless that has changed and it's pay the difference for the classic package now, then you could wind up spending a lot of your OBC on drinks.

This has changed. You only pay the difference now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

 

Your way makes perfect sense to me. You'd have to drink a combination of 4 or 5 fancier cocktails, top shelf booze, nicer wine, extras special coffee and  sparkling water a day to break even with the upgrade. 


That said, we have the classic alcohol package and on board credit for our next cruise. I swore I'd never upgrade again after our last experience. But never is a long time. The classic package is really pretty inclusive, but I like sparkling water, which isn't included in the classic package and I like to have a fancy cocktail in the afternoon (the French Caribbean Sunset is gorgeous and tasty) or maybe a martini from the martini bar. What can I say? I'm a sucker, love the worry free, no bar tab at the end of our cruise. I used the OBC for excursions and bought the upgrade when it was on  sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

 

Your way makes perfect sense to me. You'd have to drink a combination of 4 or 5 fancier cocktails, top shelf booze, nicer wine, extras special coffee and  sparkling water a day to break even with the upgrade. 


That said, we have the classic alcohol package and on board credit for our next cruise. I swore I'd never upgrade again after our last experience. But never is a long time. The classic package is really pretty inclusive, but I like sparkling water, which isn't included in the classic package and I like to have a fancy cocktail in the afternoon (the French Caribbean Sunset is gorgeous and tasty) or maybe a martini from the martini bar. What can I say? I'm a sucker, love the worry free, no bar tab at the end of our cruise. I used the OBC for excursions and bought the upgrade when it was on  sale. 

Oh.  I am a fiend for sparkling water, that could be a deal breaker in convincing me to upgrade.  Our cruise is 6 weeks away, though... not sure there will be a sale by then.  Especially since Black Friday is the day before we embark.  Too late.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Oh.  I am a fiend for sparkling water, that could be a deal breaker in convincing me to upgrade.  Our cruise is 6 weeks away, though... not sure there will be a sale by then.  Especially since Black Friday is the day before we embark.  Too late.

 

Thanks!

 

To be clear, you'd be able to get club soda, AKA seltzer, but not premium sparkling spring water. My husband doesn't drink alcohol, so he downgrades his classic alcohol package for the premium non-alcohol package because of the water. I upgrade for the water and fancier cocktails. 

If there are no sales, you can upgrade anytime during your cruise up until the last three days. If you decide to upgrade, purchase from your favorite bartender so he will get the credit for the sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Perrier and Pellegrino so upgrading is a no brainer for me. Allows me to drink top shelf plus my upgraded sparkling water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marelaine said:

 

To be clear, you'd be able to get club soda, AKA seltzer, but not premium sparkling spring water. My husband doesn't drink alcohol, so he downgrades his classic alcohol package for the premium non-alcohol package because of the water. I upgrade for the water and fancier cocktails. 

If there are no sales, you can upgrade anytime during your cruise up until the last three days. If you decide to upgrade, purchase from your favorite bartender so he will get the credit for the sale.

m - Actually, club soda and seltzer are two (2) different beverages. Those desiring to watch their sodium intake will opt for seltzer.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

m - Actually, club soda and seltzer are two (2) different beverages. Those desiring to watch their sodium intake will opt for seltzer.

 

bon voyage

 

The things I learn here! Thanks, Bo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I understand what you're trying to explain but I guess my confusion is with the adding and subtracting the gratuity.
Why can't they just post the price including the gratuity from the beginning?  I can't be the only one who's confused and frustrated by this. 

But thanks for explaining Celebrity's rational even though I'm still not convinced it's a good deal
We decided not to do it now.  We have quite a bit of OBC if we elect to do it on board, and with the Elite happy hour we may not even need it since they make great martinis and appletinis there.😊

Still working on fixing my signature. Thanks again!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signature -  go to upper right corner and find user name.  Click and drop down box opens. Click on account settings. Once there on the left there is a pencil next to "signature".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

According to other posts on the board, there is a sale on now :classic_biggrin:

 

Robert

I checked. No sale for us. 🤔

It's fine. We can always upgrade on board if it makes sense at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marelaine said:

 

Your way makes perfect sense to me. You'd have to drink a combination of 4 or 5 fancier cocktails, top shelf booze, nicer wine, extras special coffee and  sparkling water a day to break even with the upgrade. 

If you get the upgrade for $13.22 and you like to drink the martinis or wine priced at $15 it would be a $6 upcharge each drink, so only 3 drinks per day to make out better with the upgrade. Premium also includes vitamin water zero and aqua spa cafe smoothies that can help make it “worth it” to me even if I only had 2 drinks in the evening, assuming classic package was a perk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

If you are going to drink at least two or more of of: vitamin water zero, Red Bull, Perrier, aqua spa cafe smoothies or cafe al baccio alcoholic coffee drinks per day plus have at least 2 wines or bar drinks priced in the $14-15 range, you are better off to use your OBC to upgrade to premium as soon as you get on. Or if you have one of those fancier non alcohol drinks and 3 expensive alcohol drinks per day. Then you also won’t have to sign a slip for each drink upcharge. If you won’t manage to drink the above you will probably spend less by paying the upcharge per drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mackjack9139 said:

If you are going to drink at least two or more of of: vitamin water zero, Red Bull, Perrier, aqua spa cafe smoothies or cafe al baccio alcoholic coffee drinks per day plus have at least 2 wines or bar drinks priced in the $14-15 range, you are better off to use your OBC to upgrade to premium as soon as you get on. Or if you have one of those fancier non alcohol drinks and 3 expensive alcohol drinks per day. Then you also won’t have to sign a slip for each drink upcharge. If you won’t manage to drink the above you will probably spend less by paying the upcharge per drink. 

I don't do Red Bull or vitamin water zero and I can drink club soda instead of Perrier.  I'm just not sure I'll be choosing such expensive cocktails (unless any top shelf martini is going to cost at least $14?), although I have to admit the choice of bourbons and gins on the Classic aren't either my or hubby's favorites. 

 

I did just get an email about a sale, so I'm going to check on it.  Especially since I'll canceling the excursion we booked in the Bahamas.  It might be an even trade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 5:19 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

Haven't ever done it that way but if you have a lot of OBC and you can't think of anything else you'd use it on, like spa or dining or excursions, then I think you have a good idea to just let your OBC take care of any drink charge differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 5:19 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

 

Thanks!

Why not just use your OBC to buy the upgraded package? I'd pay extra just to not have to sign slips at every bar! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called Celebrity about upgrading from the Classic, which was a free perk, to the Premium with the 20% savings. At first they were not going to do it saying that it was only for those who paid for the Classic package. At the end they did give me the discount. Upgrade without discount was $231.28. After discount it was $185.02 a savings of $46.26. I used the perk of $300 on board credit to pay for it. Happy with the results.

 

Took me 8 times to get through yesterday. Be prepared the person you talk to can't make any decisions. Was put on hold twice for a few minutes each time while she talked to someone else about what Celebrity would do. I was very polite and at the end my request was granted.

Edited by cruisin 07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that these sale emails are targeted to certain cruises.  I did decide to upgrade to premium package. I sail on October 29.

 

 It was stated after adding to cart that the cost shown included the 18%. My classic package is a perk  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...