Long Lens Rain Cover for Alaska

Paul Bradley

The think tanks are far and away the best, however you have to be careful with one thing.  The 300-600 kit fits but when you fully retract the lens it becomes a little loose.  In most cases this will not make a difference, just keep an eye on it.  I've used it in heavy spray situations with no issues.

Also remember to buy the appropriate eyepiece if needed.

I had a Kata raincover for years with my DSLR kit, that could cover my 300mm F4 and 200-500mm lenses at the time, but I found it was a bit cumbersome to use for something like shooting on a cruise or vacation...those heavy-duty thick pro rain sleeves feel to me more like something you set up on the camera at the beginning of a long trek or safari shoot, leave on all day - usually when you know you'll be set up with a tripod and a raincoat and experience pouring rain all day.  None of them are great if the intention is to just walk around with the camera hanging off a Black Rapid strap, as the camera will be upside down, exposing pretty much all the 'holes' in the covers meant for access.  Most rain sleeves are truly for the camera in shooting position, protecting from falling rain...so I'd be wary letting it hang from a strap.

For vacation purposes and casual day shooting, I came to love the lightweight disposable rain sleeves - they are small enough to fold up and fit in a back pocket, big enough to cover a 150-600mm lens on body, have the same basic design (open at the lens end with a drawstring to tighten around the hood, a viewfinder hole to stretch around the finder, and a hole at the back from the bottom for the hand to reach up to grip the camera).  With both the pro vinyl type and the disposable plastic type, I always carry the camera either horizontal with the top side up, or tilted downward with the hood down...I'd never go upside down on a strap to the tripod mount.

I've been using the Op/Tech rainsleeves for about 8 years now, rather than the Kata, and honestly haven't had any problems - much less cumbersome, I can install the cover in the field if caught in a sudden downpour in just a few seconds, and I've shot through Florida thunderstorms and even hurricanes with them.  Just something to consider.  The mega size easily fits over my Tamron 150-600mm and hood...and they come 2 to a pack for under $10 - I've used the same one for about 30 uses before it starts to feel a little worn or old, then switch to a new one.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your comments, I appreciate it! Some very interesting options out there. 

As this will be one of the few times I shall need a rain cover (I live in AZ...) I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on something I won't use much. The 150-600 is very heavy and I don't want to revert to a neck strap with it, nor will I be using a tripod/monopod, so none of the heavy duty ones is going to be suitable. I might buy a couple of the cheap ones to see if I can modify one. 

The good thing about the cheap ones is that it's quite easy to make your own additional  holes as needed - tripod screws and strap screws can be poked right through - you may consider a little rubber washer at the strap side to help clamp down tightly where you've poked a hole through the plastic.

If you do get the rainsleeve very wet, just remember to give it a little blot-dry before pulling it off to avoid wetting the camera as you slide it out.  Most cameras and lenses, even if not weather sealed, can get a few drops on them and be quickly dried off - only if you're incredibly unlucky to have the drop land perfectly right on a seam or button and seep through to something sensitive will you have a problem...and never wipe dry - always blot dry to let the water absorb up into the cloth or towel...wiping can end up distributing the water right into one of those little entry points!

• Like 1

I went this past year and ........it rained ............and rained, we found out the difference between "water resistant" and "water proof". "Water resistant" in Alaska means it will keep you dry for about 15 minutes then it becomes soaked and will dry out by the end of your trip. We took "waterproof" jackets, pants, shoes, dry bag and binoculars; this combination, remember; it rained ALL DAY, we were dry all day with waterproof gear.

I had both the Op-Tech disposable and ThinkTank Hydrophobia both worked great, which was better? Could not say, But if you are not a person that regularly wants to shoot out in the rain the Op-Tech sleeves are an economical choice, if you are regularly and intentionally are going out in the rain often the ThinkTank hydrophobia has a little better access to the controls but is kind of pricey by the time you add the eyepiece. 

As to water resistant- my wife had a water resistant; jacket, shoes, pack, gloves and binoculars. She wore these items once and the jacket and shoes did not dry out until we returned home and she put them in the dryer. The binoculars still have water in them. 

I will say something nobody says anything about you need a waterproof pair of gloves, a must have. 

• Like 1