Need option to order thread messages from newest to oldest

Posted this initially under a help thread.   Have concluded the option to change the display order by date no longer exists.  Reposting here as a bug.

This is a popular feature, almost a necessity.   Please restore the option to display the newest post within a thread (particularly a roll call) at the top and the oldest at the bottom.

Thanks!  Any feedback on the disposition of this request will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseLineDancer said:

Posted this initially under a help thread.   Have concluded the option to change the display order by date no longer exists.  Reposting here as a bug.

This is a popular feature, almost a necessity.   Please restore the option to display the newest post within a thread (particularly a roll call) at the top and the oldest at the bottom.

Thanks!  Any feedback on the disposition of this request will be greatly appreciated.

I also found this option to be very useful and am sure it is only a parameter setting the administrators need to make to enable it.    The option of pressing a blue button next to the title doesn't work for me as it is only available if you do it from the full list of subjects. 

I would really like to see it back myself but have been using the >>> button next to the post to take me to the end of the post instead of the beginning.   Not perfect but I can live with it until they bring this feature back.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also found this option to be very useful and am sure it is only a parameter setting the administrators need to make to enable it.    The option of pressing a blue button next to the title doesn't work for me as it is only available if you do it from the full list of subjects. 

I would really like to see it back myself but have been using the >>> button next to the post to take me to the end of the post instead of the beginning.   Not perfect but I can live with it until they bring this feature back.

I totally agree with the workaround.  I do exactly the same.  Go to last page, then scroll the browser to the bottom.  Good for the short term. 

Not sure if this helps but there is a way to find recent posts without

having to go to last page manually.  On the right of the thread, it shows post

information like replies etc.  Simply click the last time posted like

5 hours etc.

It will take you to the most recent post.  It sorts from bottom to

top so you have to scroll upwards.  

Hope this helps.

Go to your favorite topic in CC.  Any topic. 

Go to the last page of that topic. 

Create a shortcut on your computer and copy the URL into the destination location. 

Change the page number at the end of the shortcut to "99". 

Save the shortcut. 

Next time you want to see your topic, just click the shortcut and it will go to the last page.   

Example:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2419208-adventure-of-the-seas-december-8-2018/?page=99

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:41 PM, NurseJEB said:

Very usable.  Simply click the blue bullet to the left of the thread title to reach the first unread post and follow the discussion in its logical order.

The questioner said that sorting WITHIN A ROLL CALL is particularly desirable and I TOTALLY agree as that was previously possible and accomplished easily.

There is NO BLUE BUTTON on roll calls to accomplish this and no other apparent way to do what once was easy to do and now totally hidden in the New Improved Version.  STOP improving what was fine to begin with

Edited by OBX-Cruisers
typo and addition
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

The questioner said that sorting WITHIN A ROLL CALL is particularly desirable and I TOTALLY agree as that was previously possible and accomplished easily.

There is NO BLUE BUTTON on roll calls to accomplish this and no other apparent way to do what once was easy to do and now totally hidden in the New Improved Version.  STOP improving what was fine to begin with

are you using  a phone or computer to view the forums?

computer

On the Roll calls  once  you click on the ship   then you will see  a list of the specific roll calls 

the ones with new posts have a blue star or dot  on the left next to the title

top right  of the listing  just  under START A NEW TOPIC  button there is  a  SORT BY  menu

Using  a computer  with Firefox  

@CruiseLineDancer There's a way to do this using the Custom Activity Streams, but it's a little ugly. As long as you're following only one roll call on a particular ship, it will work fine. If you have several sailings on the same ship and you're following multiple roll calls, you'll get a mixed stream of all the roll calls you follow for that ship.

I just set it up from our upcoming Christmas Cruise on the Zuiderdam.  I can give you the steps if you want.  You wind up with something like this:

chron-test.thumb.JPG.bf3fabbdcee3c0f5e56824006b6a7398.JPG

28 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@CruiseLineDancer There's a way to do this using the Custom Activity Streams, but it's a little ugly. As long as you're following only one roll call on a particular ship, it will work fine. If you have several sailings on the same ship and you're following multiple roll calls, you'll get a mixed stream of all the roll calls you follow for that ship.

I just set it up from our upcoming Christmas Cruise on the Zuiderdam.  I can give you the steps if you want.  You wind up with something like this:

chron-test.thumb.JPG.bf3fabbdcee3c0f5e56824006b6a7398.JPG

Thanks!  I'll look into this.  This could really help me.   I've never tried Custom Activity Streams, so I'll experiment.   If I get stuck, I'll come back with questions!  🙂  My typical usage has always been to click a shortcut (bookmark) on my browser to take me to the URL of the  roll call thread.  I always want to go the the latest posts (read or unread, doesn't matter).  In the past, the shortcut took me exactly where I wanted to be in one step.  @craig403 gave a simple and useful URL hack to get to the last page, but that still requires scrolling down to the bottom.   An ultimate interim coping mechanism would be a URL hack to get to the bottom of the last page.  I took a quick try and couldn't come up with anything.  Thanks again for tipping me off to this activity stream approach that can provide the posts in the reverse order preferred by many (most?) of us.

39 minutes ago, POA1 said:

FWIW - There is a plugin to IPBoard/Invision Community that does this. It's a $10 plugin. Let me know if you can't see the info. I'm pretty sure that you can see it without being logged into the Invison Support site.

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8848-post-sorting-in-topics/

Yes, I can see it.  Thanks!  I'm hoping CC incorporates the capability here.   I've contacted CC support and received a reply that the request was being forwarded to the development team.  Reverse sort is an absolute must IMHO for roll call threads that grow and evolve for years.  

10 minutes ago, CruiseLineDancer said:

Yes, I can see it.  Thanks!  I'm hoping CC incorporates the capability here.   I've contacted CC support and received a reply that the request was being forwarded to the development team.  Reverse sort is an absolute must IMHO for roll call threads that grow and evolve for years.  

I'm afraid I'm in the "why not just use the Go to First Unread Post" group.

Reading a thread with the newest post on top just seems backwards to me.  

• Like 1

Here's the basic Activity Stream setup.  You need to be following a roll call for this to work. In my case, I'm following a roll call on Holland America's Zuiderdam.

First: You want the Content, Comments and Reviews. (Without comments, I'm pretty sure you miss the replies in a thread.)

51-filter-a.JPG.c01339fb9e8d377f17a70c9b1840f52e.JPG

Second: You want to choose Topics from the Content Types drop down.  You're going to drill down here into Roll Calls > Your Cruise Line > Your Ship - To do this, you need to click on the little gear icon.

52-filter-b.JPG.254b8a56a642bc994a9f40b40afe3fb3.JPG

Third: After you click the gear (options), you will drill down to find your particular ship's roll call forum. You can only go as far as the ship forum. You can't actually find your specific roll call thread.

53-filter-c.JPG.817c3ba92c01bf987034e68ec418b928.JPG

I couldn't screen cap the drill down process easily, but you'll know it when you see it.  When you get to your ship, Click it and it will appear just like Zuiderdam does in the example.  More than one roll call on different ships? You can choose multiple Communities

Fourth: Choose Following > Items. This get you your subscribed threads in the forums/communities you picked earlier.

54-filter-d.JPG.2ffc0baf662d7dd13b7643d7e082ff6f.JPG

And finally, choose Sorting > Newest first --- because that's sort of the whole point of what you want to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I've done some research on this and found there are strong opinions on both sides.  That's all the more reason to have the feature optional as it was before.   Handwriting with the right hand seems strange to me.  One must reach all the way across the paper just to start the first word!  😉  Some here seem also to miss a key point.  This has nothing to do with whether a post is read or unread.  There are frequent reasons to return to the latest conversation (series of READ comments), but infrequent reasons to return to the OP post and subsequent "hellos" from years ago.    I can easily get to the most recent UNREAD post by clicking on the link in my most recent notification. 

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Here's the basic Activity Stream setup.  You need to be following a roll call for this to work. In my case, I'm following a roll call on Holland America's Zuiderdam.

First: You want the Content, Comments and Reviews. (Without comments, I'm pretty sure you miss the replies in a thread.)

51-filter-a.JPG.c01339fb9e8d377f17a70c9b1840f52e.JPG

Second: You want to choose Topics from the Content Types drop down.  You're going to drill down here into Roll Calls > Your Cruise Line > Your Ship - To do this, you need to click on the little gear icon.

52-filter-b.JPG.254b8a56a642bc994a9f40b40afe3fb3.JPG

Third: After you click the gear (options), you will drill down to find your particular ship's roll call forum. You can only go as far as the ship forum. You can't actually find your specific roll call thread.

53-filter-c.JPG.817c3ba92c01bf987034e68ec418b928.JPG

I couldn't screen cap the drill down process easily, but you'll know it when you see it.  When you get to your ship, Click it and it will appear just like Zuiderdam does in the example.  More than one roll call on different ships? You can choose multiple Communities

Fourth: Choose Following > Items. This get you your subscribed threads in the forums/communities you picked earlier.

54-filter-d.JPG.2ffc0baf662d7dd13b7643d7e082ff6f.JPG

And finally, choose Sorting > Newest first --- because that's sort of the whole point of what you want to see.

Got it to work!  I was not aware of the streams feature, although I had seen it in passing.  This will be helpful.  I created a new stream and bookmarked the URL.   That will let me simulate how I like to operate.  It is unfortunate that the Topics only drills down to ship and not to sailing.  The greatest shortcoming is the need to "load more activity" to get back to the past, rather than paging.   There's a good chance I will find "activity streams" useful in other ways, so thanks again for introducing me to them.   

1 hour ago, CruiseLineDancer said:
3 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I've done some research on this and found there are strong opinions on both sides.  That's all the more reason to have the feature optional as it was before. ...

I agree that having the option would be good, and other IBB software I use usually does have such an option.

But every IBB software I've used has a default that the earliest post is first and the latest post is last. So the current set-up simply reflects what every other IBB software I've seen does out of the box.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiseLineDancer said:

Got it to work!  I was not aware of the streams feature, although I had seen it in passing.  This will be helpful.  I created a new stream and bookmarked the URL.   That will let me simulate how I like to operate.  It is unfortunate that the Topics only drills down to ship and not to sailing.  The greatest shortcoming is the need to "load more activity" to get back to the past, rather than paging.   There's a good chance I will find "activity streams" useful in other ways, so thanks again for introducing me to them.   

You can also set one of your custom activity streams as your default. It can then be reached by the newspaper icon in mobile or the shortcut in the desktop version. I djd a write up here:

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

You can also set one of your custom activity streams as your default. It can then be reached by the newspaper icon in mobile or the shortcut in the desktop version. I djd a write up here:

Thanks!  Yes, I found that and made the roll call for our next cruise be my default.  That is good and will come in handy at times, perhaps especially on a mobile device.  My typical workflow on the desktop has been to use bookmarks on my browser to go to whatever roll call I need at the moment.