The TK Experience on Seabourn

freddie

I was just looking over the detailed itinerary our TA has sent us for our May SB cruise.  It includes our TK Grill reservations.  There is text that says that because the restaurant is small (Sojourn) we should understand that other diners may be seated with us at our table.  I remember one post here which stated that other guests were told that diners were never added to table at the TK Grill.  So--we have two opposing bits of information.  

On 4/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, SLSD said:

I was just looking over the detailed itinerary our TA has sent us for our May SB cruise.  It includes our TK Grill reservations.  There is text that says that because the restaurant is small (Sojourn) we should understand that other diners may be seated with us at our table.  I remember one post here which stated that other guests were told that diners were never added to table at the TK Grill.  So--we have two opposing bits of information.  

Yes, that's what I said... I was told that TK Grill never join up diners by the booking/front of house and this was about a month ago on Sojourn.

Strange!

Mauzac, yes, it is strange.  The text our TA sent to us came directly to her from SB.  We don't mind at all being seated with others.  We did make all of our TK Grill reservations for four people (after not being able to add friends on some previous reservations).  Of course our very first TK Grill reservation on our upcoming cruise is for the first evening.  Not ideal--but hey, we will take it.  So---if any of you are on our voyage (Kobe to Vancouver) just let me know if you would like to join us for dinner that evening.  

On 4/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Interesting that everyone who experienced the snooty service found it to be on Ody, maybe it is just confined to this one hostess who we had the misfortune of dealing with. 

Know exactly who you mean, she was snooty with us as well in October.

We're back on again in November, wonder if she will still be there!

1 hour ago, BalbTheSailor said:

Know exactly who you mean, she was snooty with us as well in October.

We're back on again in November, wonder if she will still be there!

Did nobody complain about her manner,.I would always speak to the Hotel Director.

Things get sorted fast generally

We would be fine joining others for a TK table as long as it is not a scenario where two of us get seated at a table that already  has six people who are traveling  together, e.g., family or boistrous best chums, who talk about things unique to their relationships. Another couple, where people also know they will be with others and are fine with it, ( or prefer it) would be ok for us on  most nights (have to reserve, so must usually stick with it).

There were a number of extended families dining more or less together in TK a few months ago ( spread out over adjacent real estate) and the noise vibe was less than ideal, especially when combined with the ever-present music.

Just made our two reservations on the July Norway Ovation cruise.  We're hoping that our previous experience with TK on Sojourn was an aberration and Ovation is better. No matter if not really as we can once again cancel after the first try.

• 4 months later...

We just returned from two weeks on Encore.  We booked TKG the first night and ate there a second time later in the cruise.  Service and ambiance were excellent.  The main dishes ranged from good to excellent, but the sides were uniformly disappointing.  The roast chicken was probably the best main dish.  The steaks were good, but were not as good as those I've had in several stateside steak houses.  Frankly, my impression overall is that TKG does not match the hype.  

1 hour ago, Lexcruiser said:

We just returned from two weeks on Encore.  We booked TKG the first night and ate there a second time later in the cruise.  Service and ambiance were excellent.  The main dishes ranged from good to excellent, but the sides were uniformly disappointing.  The roast chicken was probably the best main dish.  The steaks were good, but were not as good as those I've had in several stateside steak houses.  Frankly, my impression overall is that TKG does not match the hype.  

This is where it becomes so obvious to me that subjectivity is such a part of reviewing food.  The roast chicken was highly recommended to us and we tried it.  It was so salty that we found it inedible.  At the same time, we have really enjoyed the side dishes.  I agree with you that I've had better steaks.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the sole and my husband absolutely loves the lamb.  

YMMV - I too disliked the chicken, my better half loved it.  I have found the sole to be consistently good, and the various meat offerings to most always be good, not a top shore side steak house by any stretch of the imagination but for being on a ship pretty decent IMO..  No issues w/ sides nor apps.  We have probably dined in the various TK grills across the fleet 30 or so times, while every time has not been what it could potentially be, it is a nice option to have.   Also like the different revenue wine list in the TK grill. Different experience on the O-class vs. the shall we now call it the "E" class? ships with the cool bar space and not the old R2 space.   Both have their advantages. 

We found the roast chicken the most over rated dish , no better than the average one we have for Sunday lunch. Perhaps it is a UK thing. I find once a week in the TK is ample as the menu hardly changes, although I do like the new bar on the new ships.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, n2wdw said:

Having never been able to get into TK's restaurants in Napa, I'm looking forward to eating at his restaurant on our upcoming cruise in May.  I appreciate the comments here as I've adjusted my expectations.  But if it feels like a steakhouse then I know I'll like it, although the wife maybe not so much.  Although, we plan to bring a nice bottle of wine, and a cocktail beforehand, so I'm sure we will enjoy it!

We have dined at The French Laundry. Wonderful meal but be sure to bring plenty of money. $1k for two.

Count me among the people not all that impressed with TK. We have had dinner there once on each cruise since TK was launched, for variety's sake, but have been underwhelmed.  I have had both steak and chicken and found them to be average. I agree the chicken was salty and I like salty food.  Last time, when I split it with by brother-in-law, he thought it was underdone.  Also, on the Odyssey class ships, it feels cramped, but so did R2.  It is a much nicer setting on the newer ships.  My biggest problem, however, is the attitude.  It is the only place on Seabourn ships where I find a snobbish attitude and an upsell effort.  I found it offensive that when they handed us our menus, they were all open to the reserve wine list and not the actual food menu.  We came in with our own bottle on our most recent trip (which by the way they refused to take from us in advance and hold for us so we did not have to fetch it right before dinner, when we requested that the night before), so we short circuited the upsell, but in the past  when the reserve wines have been pushed, I have been tempted to ask them if they thought their complimentary wines were too inferior for us to drink.

1 hour ago, CLOU said:

Count me among the people not all that impressed with TK. We have had dinner there once on each cruise since TK was launched, for variety's sake, but have been underwhelmed.  I have had both steak and chicken and found them to be average. I agree the chicken was salty and I like salty food.  Last time, when I split it with by brother-in-law, he thought it was underdone.  Also, on the Odyssey class ships, it feels cramped, but so did R2.  It is a much nicer setting on the newer ships.  My biggest problem, however, is the attitude.  It is the only place on Seabourn ships where I find a snobbish attitude and an upsell effort.  I found it offensive that when they handed us our menus, they were all open to the reserve wine list and not the actual food menu.  We came in with our own bottle on our most recent trip (which by the way they refused to take from us in advance and hold for us so we did not have to fetch it right before dinner, when we requested that the night before), so we short circuited the upsell, but in the past  when the reserve wines have been pushed, I have been tempted to ask them if they thought their complimentary wines were too inferior for us to drink.

I just discussed your comments with my husband.  We agree with you that the chicken is salty and  we do NOT like salty food.   We prefer the coziness of the TK Grill in the O Class ships (and have dined there on Ovation and Encore a number of times---and we do like Ovation and Encore as ships).  We only experienced the snottiness ONE time (our last dinner in the TK Grill on our Kobe to Vancouver itinerary).  Since I had read about this so many times, I almost laughed when we encountered it.  Why let someone's attitude spoil your good time?  Not being a wine lover, I was just very firm with the waiter that I WAS going to order a complimentary wine, even though the first few that I asked for were not available.  It is so easy to out snob a snob if really necessary and have a little fun while doing it.  We see the TK Grill as a good diversion.  it is not perfect, but is diverting and I do enjoy the sole, the huge prawns and some of the side dishes.  My husband LOVES the lamb.  We have probably dined there 14 or so times now--usually with our own reservation, sometimes invited by new friends on the ship.  

We enjoy the experience greatly.  Yes, sometimes it's snobby but it goes over our head somewhat.  I like the cocktails, premium spirits and delicious.  And the chicken is good.  We have a couple of favourite dishea we like to order, and the best thing for us is the ambience.  We love it.  Once a week is fine by us. 

We've never had an upsell on wine... maybe we don't look the part 😂 

We have eaten at both French Laundry and Per Se.  We ate at French Laundry, many years ago, before we had eaten at that many other fine restaurants with which to compare it.  We were actually disappointed.  Now, every place can have an off night, and occasionally we have given a highly rated restaurant a second chance and been glad we did.  However, we have not been back to French Laundry.   Our experience at Per Se was better, but still not as good as expected or as good as similarly priced and touted restaurants.  Also, on our last cruise, we found the Thomas Keller selections in the main dining room to be disappointing, as apparently did the couple dining at the table next to us.  On one night, after my husband ordered the TK appetizer, our waiter tried to dissuade him and asked him what his second choice would be.  He brought out both, which worked out well, because my husband found the TK appetizer inedible.  But, food is a matter of taste, literally, so other people may feel differently.  

As to the snottiness, we have ignored it, and it has certainly not ruined our dinner.  I just find it an anomaly on Seabourn, it and does take something away from the experience.

Interestingly, on our Caribbean cruise, we signed up for shopping with the chef, but the chef was diverted to be with a camera crew, in the same markets, taking promotional pictures and videos, with models instead of the ragtag passengers. So, instead we were accompanied by a representative from the TK restaurant group who was on board that cruise to ensure that the TK standards were being met on the ship.  He was delightful and informative and a great ambassador for TK.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

So how does the TK restaurant on Seabourn compare to The French Laundry?

Is it the same quality, service and ambience?

Have not been on Seabourn yet. However, the food and service was outstanding. They even took us into the kitchen. Pros in action.  I would not expect ship food to be as good. Imagine the difference in kitchens. The land-base one was huge. Also, less frozen food on land.

• Thanks 1

I will admit I did not read all 7 pages of this thread so excuse me if this was mentioned:

Regarding the “salty chicken”-  we had a great opportunity to spend about half an hour in a private discussion with the head TK chef on board a Seabourne cruise. I asked about the chicken.  He told me it is brined for up to 24 hours prior to cooking. So yes. It will be salty.  It is also why it maintains the moisture and flavors from the brine. 

I loved it and will order it again. Just realize, it is salty on purpose.