Jump to content
tring

Balcony vs Deluxe Balcony on Aurora

Recommended Posts

We are considering whether it is worth paying for a deluxe balcony vs ordinary Balcony on Aurora.  I see the deluxe balconies are quite a bit bigger, but do not know how small the other cabins are.  We do find that P&O's recent habit of making walk in wardrobes annoying as it leaves a lot less space in the cabin.  So can I ask if people find the ordinary balcony cabins a decent size, or if they see a big benefit in upgrading to deluxe balconies?

 

We are also concerned about noise, especially from the A deck corridor which runs above the deck B (deluxe) cabins as the corridors are in different positions since the deluxe cabins are longer.

 

Another point is that although we could afford a mid ship balcony cabin, we would be tempted to book a saver or less well placed deluxe cabin, so we are wondering if there is vibration felt towards the back of the ship.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but our internet supply has been unstable over the last few days, so can I say thank you for any replies now in case it drops out completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have stayed in both. deluxe cabins are bigger. The balconies are glass ones, not in hull  ones, so lighter and brighter.

To us we would go with the deluxe, mainly because there is a curtain that goes between sleeping area and sofa. I get up before OH so I can pull back the curtains by the door and it doesn't disturb sleeping beauty. The wardrobes have doors, they are in the corridor bit as you walk into the cabin so the main part of the cabin is just for sleeping and sitting. As you say the deluxe ones are on b deck..best I think. Cant say we noticed any noise from people walking above us, or going towards the back of the ship. If you can stretch I would go for deluxe. Ofcourse if you waited for saver no guarantee they would have any left in that grade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a balcony cabin on A deck towards the front because we like it there. I think it is perhaps the cheapest grade. I am not sure whether ours has a chair or a sofa... you have got me thinking now about whether to upgrade to a de luxe or not.
I am following this thread with interest 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scriv said:

We have a balcony cabin on A deck towards the front because we like it there. I think it is perhaps the cheapest grade. I am not sure whether ours has a chair or a sofa... you have got me thinking now about whether to upgrade to a de luxe or not.
I am following this thread with interest 🙂

I think all Auroras balcony cabins have sofas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed in cabin L100 on Aurora and loved it! We would go back to it every time as it is a lovely cabin. Although it is only a smaller balcony, the location of it meant that it was in a very quiet position of the ship.  The only people that walked past our cabin door were the staff going on or off the bridge. The only other noise at all was an occasional bit of noise and vibration if the bridge used the bow thrusters very hard but otherwise it was a lovely comfortable, quiet and peaceful cabin.

 

Also, although it is very forward in the ship Aurora has good sea keeping and at no time did we notice any uncomfortable or excessive movement.  We have cruised on her twice and never experienced any vibration towards the stern of the ship, or anywhere else on her for that matter. Oriana has a well documented history of stern end vibration but we did not feel a thing on Aurora (and we spent a lot of time towards the stern, as we used to breakfast at what was then The Orangery, have lunch there too and often go to Carmens in the evening).  

 

Hope you have a wonderful time on board her, she is a lovely ship! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I think all Auroras balcony cabins have sofas.

Thank you John 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just come back from Aurora and chose an aft balcony on C deck. We chose it because it was close to the stairs / lifts and it also turned out to be handy for the  laundrette. We loved the location which was above a corridor outside the Glass House so very quiet and very convenient. We had 2 rough Transatlantic crossings and not only did the ship handle it well but we also felt very comfortable in our aft cabin, but we definitely find aft cabins very stable in general.. We had a small sofa and the balcony was also rather small so they're certainly wider and brighter on B deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

We've just come back from Aurora and chose an aft balcony on C deck. We chose it because it was close to the stairs / lifts and it also turned out to be handy for the  laundrette. We loved the location which was above a corridor outside the Glass House so very quiet and very convenient. We had 2 rough Transatlantic crossings and not only did the ship handle it well but we also felt very comfortable in our aft cabin, but we definitely find aft cabins very stable in general.. We had a small sofa and the balcony was also rather small so they're certainly wider and brighter on B deck. 

 

Thank you very much,that is interesting, both for the differences between the two cabin types and also re the back of the ship.  That is the sort of area that I would be a bit bothered about in case of vibration, but assume you did not have problems regards that or you would have mentioned it.  We have been used to Fred's " Kn*d old boats"  in recent years because of itineraries, but even P&O's older ships are quite a bit newer than those 🙂    We have taken to choosing a bit forward of midship for that reason with Fred.

 

 

Edited by tring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tring said:

 

Thank you very much,that is interesting, both for the differences between the two cabin types and also re the back of the ship.  That is the sort of area that I would be a bit bothered about in case of vibration, but assume you did not have problems regards that or you would have mentioned it.  We have been used to Fred's " Kn*d old boats"  in recent years because of itineraries, but even P&O's older ships are quite a bit newer than those 🙂    We have taken to choosing a bit forward of midship for that reason with Fred.

 

 

Felt no vibrations at all tring and as I said Aurora got a good work-out in the strong winds.   We were in C278. We were in a similar position on Balmoral earlier this year and it definitely wasn't as comfortable. 

Edited by tartanexile81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tartanexile81 said:

Felt no vibrations at all tring and as I said Aurora got a good work-out in the strong winds.   We were in C278. We were in a similar position on Balmoral earlier this year and it definitely wasn't as comfortable. 

 

Thanks again.  There appears to be a recess directly opposite your cabin and the same the other side of the ship.  Do you know what they are - I am thinking it could be a workstation for the cabin stewards, or perhaps the entrance to the staff lift area?

 

Barbara

Edited by tring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the transatlantic voyage too. In an outside cabin on D deck. For some reason we prefer Oriana but I am struggling to find a good reason for this. We just do. But nothing wrong with Aurora. The Headliners were the best we have seen for years. Entertainment staff did their best, Wes was outstanding and we hear he has been promoted to deputy cruise director on Brittania from February.

impressed with Glass House. And the wife loved all 3 gin flights and the champagne flight. Not all on the same day.

after 35 nights on QM2 in April it was lovely to see drinks prices where you would expect them. Cunard are just bonkers expensive.

Looking forward to the Baltic on her next June, in a de luxe balcony hurrah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Explore the Night. Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win win a free cruise for two with Azamara Club Cruises!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Community Contests
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×