RCI "Brilliance" vs Celebrity "Infinity"?

jargey3000

Need some quick (unbiased, maybe), to the point, advice here :classic_blink::

60+ couple. 8th cruise

Considering a quick 5 nighter on Brilliance out of Tampa vs a 4-nighter on Infinity out of Fort Lauderdale in November.

Ports/  excursions not important to us. Entertainment etc. ...neehhh..no big deal.... Do use the fitness centers daily (...all about the same, arent they?)

Overall state of ship (including CLEANLINESS in cabin & elsewhere), and overall quality of food (we know you cant really expect 'gourmet' on a cruise) are more important to us. (We dont eat at  the extra-pay restaurants...)

Both these boats are old (I know they're both owned by RCI) ... which one do you think we'd be happier with....? Vote here! Help us decide. Thanks mates!

Edited by jargey3000

16 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

Need some quick (unbiased, maybe), to the point, advice here :classic_blink::

60+ couple. 8th cruise

Considering a quick 5 nighter on Brilliance out of Tampa vs a 4-nighter on Infinity out of Fort Lauderdale in November.

Ports/  excursions not important to us. Entertainment etc. ...neehhh..no big deal.... Do use the fitness centers daily (...all about the same, arent they?)

Overall state of ship (including CLEANLINESS in cabin & elsewhere), and overall quality of food (we know you cant really expect 'gourmet' on a cruise) are more important to us. (We dont eat at  the extra-pay restaurants...)

Both these boats are old (I know they're both owned by RCI) ... which one do you think we'd be happier with....? Vote here! Help us decide. Thanks mates!

Of course "gourmet" is possible. But, you'll have to change cruise lines andvakao nice into the premium/luxury industry segments.

Just a couple of things.  Although both ships are part of two fleets of ships - RCCL and Celebrity - that are owned by the same parent company - RCI - they are separate brands run independently and represent two different cruising styles.  RCI is more oriented towards families and has more activities venues than does Celebrity, which is oriented towards adults with more of a "traditional" cruising style.  And although both ships are somewhat older, they are both maintained well, are very clean, and provide a very good level of service.  Brilliance has a more contemporary styling with a lot of glass and open spaces.

If you are eliminating the option to dine at the specialty restaurants you are limiting your opportunities for a varied and higher level of dining than that which will be found only in the MDR and buffets.  But that being said, having cruised extensively on both lines, I would say that Celebrity has a better level of food quality overall.

A word of caution, as both itineraries are relatively short, the demographics on board may tend to be younger and more of a party style in nature.   Not a certainty but something to consider as a possibility.

Somewhat of an unusual list of things that aren't important to you on a cruise, of which are typical cruise draws - ports of call, excursions, entertainment, etc. - which makes me wonder what is it you do look for in a cruise?  And yes - the fitness centers are essentially the same with either.

thanks... i guess we just like to "get away" for a few days on a cruise.... just go with the flow...people & activity watch...not worry about having to drive anywhere.... wife doesnt have to cook....i dunno ...just a change of scenery in a captive environment for a few days...

Yes, we've done a couple of 5 day cruises..and havent been scared off by a younger crowd 🙂

lets put the 'fine dining' issue aside,

I would really like to hear from anyone who's actually been on either (or both) boats lately...to comment more on the overall experience ....

Edited by jargey3000

I have been on RCI Jewel and Serenade, both sister ships to Brilliance, and was on summit in August, sister ship to Infinity.

Aside from what I have posted previously, what specifically about either would you like to know?  I guess if you are looking for a recommendation, based on your ages I would probably suggest Celebrity Infinity.  Based on ship and the longer itinerary, I would probably suggest RCI Brilliance,  They are both good lines and ships and I don't think one holds a significant advantage over the other.

thanks...thats the type of comment im looking for.

I guess im trying to get a feel if one boat might be more run down? or dated? or whatever....than the other....

I've read some less-than-flattering reviews on both.... Not that I decide strictly on what others say....but still...

Maybe theres not much difference.... in which case, I'd probably lean towards the shorter...cheaper... Infinity...:classic_blink:

Edited by jargey3000

10 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

I would really like to hear from anyone who's actually been on either (or both) boats lately...to comment more on the overall experience ....

If you want an answer from someone who has sailed both ships, a better place to post this question might be the Celebrity or Royal Caribbean boards (or both).  Although, since your question is directly related to current condition,  it is unlikely, even on those boards,  someone has been on both within the last year.

We had a lovely cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse so our experience was an S class ship, not the Infinity, which makes the experience different.  Having said that we feel the food was a notch better than our Brilliance cruise.  Finally for me, 5 days would always win.  Brilliance is a very nice ship and we had a great crew that trip.